RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

What is your opinion about the trend in the average age of field trialers?

• It is getting older.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It is staying about the same.

• It is getting younger.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There seems to be some disagreement over the general health and welfare of field trials.

My impression, what I have been told by the experienced FT people I know and respect, is that there is serious need for new blood. (With the possible exception of Texas where, I am hold by these same people, the sport is flourishing.) These people have been in the game for decades, and travel all over the country judging. Could they be mistaken?

They tell me that the average FTer is getting older; that there are fewer and fewer younger people to hand the reigns over to, and fewer and fewer people to come out and work.

The number of trials is still up, and generally growing. The number of dogs entered is still up and generally growing.

Let's not let these discussions degenerate into the "reasons why." Let's stick to the facts and opinions about "how it currently is."

What are your impressions about the current health of the FT sport? Is the average age of field trialers getting older?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Kevin

I think that for years the average age was getting older. When I was about 20 and HTs were just a gleam... FTers were all older than me. Many much older i.e. Bing, Oscar, Starkloff, Mrs. Wallace, etc.

It may be because I'm 20+ years older now that people don't seem so old, but there are many more my age (40 something) and even a good dose of younger handlers.

I think this in large part do to crossovers from HTs.

I think you need to add a category to your poll (younger).

People of course always get older, except Shayne who refuses to grow up :lol:

·
Registered
9,616 Posts
AmiableLabs said:
. (With the possible exception of Texas where, I am hold by these same people, the sport is flourishing.) These people have been in the game for decades, and travel all over the country judging. Could they be mistaken?

Thanks.
That is misinformation, big trials and flourishing are not synonymous

There are currently 7 field trial clubs in Texas, only 2, possibly 3, are led by people younger than 50. Our youngest training partner and worker is 39.

At least 3 Texas clubs are run by retired people.

The trial I just judged in Oregon is put on by a 76 year old retired surgeon, his wife, and one other person.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
John Gassner said:
It was originally there, but it didn't take when I posted the poll. I think I had to click the "add another option" button again before posting. You live, you learn. :roll:

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
AmiableLabs said:
John Gassner said:
It was originally there, but it didn't take when I posted the poll. I think I had to click the "add another option" button again before posting. You live, you learn. :roll:
I got yer back. :wink:

·
Registered
17,005 Posts
dogs

I don't think that the average age has changed over the years. I beleive it stabalized at around 66 years of age (all age stakes) and has stayed there for some time. I like talking and visiting with the oldtimers.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
I am 28 and for the last few years have single handedly put on the Metro field trial! Ok, so really i just organize the Rita machine and shoot the sh!t with everyone - but that is just as important as the Chairman and Secretary. So chalk one up for the Gen-Xers on my behalf.

Shayne

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
current health of the FT sport? Is the average age of field trialers getting older?

Yo Kev. Looked in the mirror lately? We are ALL doing that! And thanks to Mr Bootay, I find I'm the most average of you all. :cry:

Don't mess with me. I only need one more '6' to be dangerous. :twisted:

UB

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
age?

Just thought I would share an experience that I had.

By the way, I am 28 and own an AA dog. First and only dog.

One day while running the derby at the Tulsa trial, I went to a close by area to work with my dog. Off grounds by the way. I was throwing him marks. I would sit him down, walk a distance, throw a bumper, and call the dogs name. I don't know if this works but it's besides the point.

A man showed up in a blue truck. He was rather tall in stature and was airing his dogs in the same area. The man asked me if I wanted him to throw the marks so I could send my dog from the line. I was very thankful for this and was excited for the help.

After a few marks, we finished up and finished airing his dogs. We talked for a while as he sipped on some wine.

Since I read FTNews, I knew who the man was.

It was Dr. Ed as we all know him here.

I will remember this day for the rest of my time.

I believe these are things that bring new blood to the sport.

Thanks again Dr. Ed.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
oh yeah

Oh yeah, I got my second ribbon ever that weekend. It was red. I called everyone I could think of on the way home but that damn Nextel couldn't get reception. I will remember that feeling forever.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
bump

1 - 12 of 12 Posts