RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Would an infusion of experienced hunt testers running in the Q be an asset to the sport of field tri

• Yes.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No.

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Simple question -- would an infusion of experienced hunt testers running in the Q be an asset to the sport of field trials?

I envision some will eventually begin joining and helping FT clubs. I envision some will eventually try the AA stakes.

What say you?

·
Registered
5,356 Posts
Could you have put up a more loaded question?

If anyone answers "no," I'd like to hear their logic.

Keith Griffith

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Keith Griffith said:
Could you have put up a more loaded question? If anyone answers "no," I'd like to hear their logic.
On earlier threads there were suggestions that it would -- 1) extend the Q to three days; 2) Cause a shift of primacy from the AA stakes, 3) Require more help at FTs, etc.

Cut me some slack for why I asked the question! :wink:

·
Registered
16,996 Posts
dogs

Doesn't make any difference to me. If they want to play major league, welcome. If not, that is fine with me also. To each his own!

·
Registered
255 Posts
Health of Field Trials/HT infusion Help?

Keith,

I couldn't resist the challenge. I don't think it would make a difference because I think the logic that it will is flawed. Why are FT's ranks deteriorating? Aging out. If HTers wanted to move up they would be doing it now. But it appears that most are not interested in the extensive/expensive comittment in time and/or resources it takes to play the FT game, which is why HT evolved in the first place. A good question to ask is "What % of people who were involved in the creation or early participation in HT's moved on to FT's? I would wager that more peple gravitate from FT to HT than the other way around. Since I was first involved in FT's in the early eighties three or four HT venues have sprung up, which have enthusiastic players. If these people would move up, would it help FT, of course. Does it seem reasonable to assume that they will. NOT!!!

Dan

·
Registered
6,383 Posts
Captain Dan

Both Ken Erikson (Rufsea) and I were part of the group that established the Platte Valley Hunting Retriever Club in 1985.

We both run FT's exclusively now. Rich Carpenter (RichRoux) who also was part of that founding group. Rich stayed with HRC and never left.

Gary Brady, who was also part of that group, left HT, went to FT, and then returned to HT. He is now the editor of the "What's the score" column in the RFTN.

So, I don't know what to think about the subject. I guess where I come out is - why not give Kevin a chance to demonstrate his idea has merit?

Ted

·
Registered
370 Posts
Health test of FT's #3

Hypothetically, yes. In my opinion there are not too many that will actually switch. I am in the process of trying to switch, but I am not in an area where there is an active FT training group. I have to set up my own training tests using mechanical launchers and try to get some concepts on limited training grounds, here in a highly urbanized area. My dogs get to see few flyers, my 11 year old training assistant has trouble just throwing a dead duck, much less throwing a live one and then shooting it. Oh btw, I am in my mid 60's, so I am not bringing any young blood in to the sport, yet I am a "newbie".

The reason I say that not many HTers will switch is because of the financial and time requirements. Many of the Hunt Test people in my area simply cannot take off Fridays on a regular basis, their jobs will not allow it. Also, many are young with childern in school, which within it's self calls for frugel money management. I have noticed that there are those HTers whose club holds both FT's and HT's will run in their club's event, or one that is only a short drive time from their home.

There will always be sporting dog field trials. Some games are not really meant to be democratic. Let us realize that those of us playing any of the doggy games, including obedience, earthdog, confromation, etc, just as horse racing, show horses, steeplechase are using discretionary income. It only took one trip to Hilton Head Island when the "snow birds' were moving from Florida back north, to make it perfectly clear to me that some folks have a lot of money to spend for no apparent reason. And are perfectly willing to do so. And it will be the case in our sport in the future just as it is now.

I am not saying that FT's are eliteist, but those that can afford the best dogs and trainers are going to win the most. Not all, but the most. But from my point of view it is still fun playing the game because I like the competition. I don't play golf.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: Health of Field Trials/HT infusion Help?

captaindan said:
If HTers wanted to move up they would be doing it now.
Offer a title for QAA and let's see how many move up.

But it appears that most are not interested in the extensive/expensive comittment in time and/or resources it takes to play the FT game,
In my opinion the differences in expenses, time and resources between campaigning a MH dog for the MN and campaigning FT dogs (especially on th Q level) is trivial. Those are the HTers that FTers can reasonably assume to attempt crossing over if a QAA title was offered.

. . . .which is why HT evolved in the first place.
That is just not true. The main impetus for the HT movement was to re-establish the "realistic hunting scenario." They thought, mistakenly in my opinion, FTs no longered sufficiently resembled real hunting.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts