RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We don't have heartworm up here but one of my co-owned dogs lives in an area where heartworm is seen infrequently, and typically treats monthly for heartworm prevention.
Is there a preventative that is safe for pregnant dogs? What do you all do that must deal with this regularly? My vet says to keep treating throughout pregnancy but he didn't seem to put much thought into the question or even ask which product they are using so I would like to get the advice of breeders who are experienced with this.
Thanks in Advance.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I'm interested to hear everyone's responses too. My vet told me to continue Advantage Multi while she was pregnant but has shyed away from it while she's lactating. This is a concern for me because with recent rains, the mosquitos are getting THICK here.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
I use ivermectin year round. It is labeled safe for pregnant and lactating bitches and for puppies over 6 weeks, for heartworm prevention. Heartgard plus is also labeled safe for use in pregnant/breeding females. I've not had problems that I could relate to using ivermectin.

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
We always continue the preventative pregnant, lactating, or whatever.

·
Registered
478 Posts
The repro vet I used said to use Heartguard Plus.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts