RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With summer approaching I have a few heartworm questions for RTF. What is everyone using? Is anyne using ProHeart 6? If you are using Pro Heart 6 do you also use a monthly preventative? I live in Mississippi where heartworms are a serious problem and am just trying to develop my best defense.

·
Registered
227 Posts
All year round prevention....Sentinel for Heartworms, Roundworms, Hookworms, and Whipworms. It also prevents flea eggs from hatching. Great product, especially when used with Frontline Plus for Ticks and fleas. This may be a little more expensive, but I like the coverage.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I was told by my vet that we are not preventing Heartworms, we are treating the worms our dogs got the month before. I use Heartguard as a monthly treatment, many because it also attacks other parasites and worms. My vet is trying to get me to use Revolution because it not only does worms, intestine parasites but also protects against fleas and ticks. Big bucks too.

Think of it as a treatment not a prevention.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Has anyone tried trifexis, same as interceptor but has ingredients to treat fleas and other intestinal worms.

·
Registered
7,411 Posts
Ivermec

·
Registered
325 Posts
I use Iverhart Max in the summer and Ivermec in the winter, never have had a issue with any kind of worms!

Amy

·
Registered
42 Posts
I use Interceptor since it kills whipworm too. Between that and K9 Advantix I cover all my bases for about $200 year (I use both year-round).

If you like your crawfish, steer clear of ivermectin (Heartguard and its generics) and fiprocin (Frontline and its generics).

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I use Interceptor since it kills whipworm too. Between that and K9 Advantix I cover all my bases for about $200 year (I use both year-round).

If you like your crawfish, steer clear of ivermectin (Heartguard and its generics) and fiprocin (Frontline and its generics).
Me too-- on the Interceptor, and Advantix. My wife uses Trefexis---. we have different Vets---and we go with their recommendation. We also have different beds at times. ;););)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Me too-- on the Interceptor, and Advantix. My wife uses Trefexis---. we have different Vets---and we go with their recommendation. We also have different beds at times. ;););)
Trifexis intrigued me for about five minutes but it doesn't protect against ticks and I like keeping the mosquitoes and biting flies off of my pup, because I'm just so darn nice. :cool:

·
Registered
423 Posts
I have a blood test done every year, typically in March. Once the test is determined to be negative, we give Tri-Heat Plus, 1 tablet per month for 8 months. I'm up north. In your climate, I'd say you're looking at 12 months, $7.50/month.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Ivermectin here. 1/10cc per 10# body weight.
That's a HUGE overdose of Ivomec! Example: With your current dosing amount you'd give a 70lb dog 7000 mcg of Ivomec when the correct dosage calls for 190.4 mcg. Something you might want to consider next time dosing the Ivomec.

Reference: http:/www. merckveterinarymanual.com/mvm/htm/bc/tdig08.htm
(don't have 5 post so can't add proper link)

For simplicity the dosage is 2.72 mcg per lb of Ivomec for heartworm preventative.

1 cc of Ivomec contains 10,000mcg

·
Registered
231 Posts
That's a HUGE overdose of Ivomec! Example: With your current dosing amount you'd give a 70lb dog 7000 mcg of Ivomec when the correct dosage calls for 190.4 mcg. Something you might want to consider next time dosing the Ivomec.

Reference: http:/www. merckveterinarymanual.com/mvm/htm/bc/tdig08.htm
(don't have 5 post so can't add proper link)

For simplicity the dosage is 2.72 mcg per lb of Ivomec for heartworm preventative.

1 cc of Ivomec contains 10,000mcg
I'm using the dosage that my vet said was ok. Yes, it's many, many more times the amount of what heartguard contains, but there are many dogs that get heartworms while on heartguard. I've been giving that dosage for about a year now, and haven't seen any side affects whatsoever. Until it's proven that that dosage is an overdose, I'll continue giving it at that rate.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm using the dosage that my vet said was ok. Yes, it's many, many more times the amount of what heartguard contains, but there are many dogs that get heartworms while on heartguard. I've been giving that dosage for about a year now, and haven't seen any side affects whatsoever. Until it's proven that that dosage is an overdose, I'll continue giving it at that rate.
No problem...do as you want as it's your dog/s. I was just passing along the information and gave a link you could check out for yourself and see the actual dosage. One of the same reference manuals your veterinary should be using. The 1/10th cc per 10lbs is simply a "rounded" (or simplified) dosing of what's is printed on the bottle (1cc per 110lbs) just never taking into consideration that's for cattle-not dogs. I'd personally be questioning my veterinary's credentials if he/she did state the correct dosage was; 1/10th cc per 10lbs. As there is not a veterinary reference manual in this world that's ever stated such.

While it's true many dogs on heartguard do get heartworms...that's more to do with people not being as diligent as they should, forgetting/skipping a dosage here and there, and the parasites resistance build up. Hence the new heartworming protocol that the Merck Veterinary Manual started suggesting back in 2005. Dosing 37X's the recommended amount isn't going to better "protect" your dog as medicine dosen't work that way with dogs nor humans. Wish it did as we've all experienced times of sickness and wished we could just down a bottle of medicine and be over it, instantly.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Trifectis is what I use. Yes they say won't kill ticks but I have found dead ticks on my dogs. Been using product for over 6 months.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Strategic use of ivermectin during pregnancy to control Toxocara canis in greyhound puppies.

P.A Paynea and R.K Ridley

Kansas State University
College of Veterinary Medicine, Department of Diagnostic Medicine/Pathobiology,
Manhattan, KA 66506-5603, USA

Received 26 February 1999; accepted 4 May 1999.
Available online 10 August 1999.

Abstract

Twenty-one greyhound bitches were bred (Day 0) and housed throughout their pregnancies on three greyhound breeding farms in Kansas. These dogs were assigned randomly to one of four treatment groups. Group A dogs (6) were given ivermectin subcutaneously (300 μg/kg) on Day 0 (the first day the dogs were bred), and Days 30 and 60 of gestation. Group B dogs (6) were given ivermectin (300 μg/kg SQ) on Day 42. Group C dogs (3) were given ivermectin (300 μg/kg SQ) on Days 0, 30, and 60 plus 10 days after whelping. Group D dogs (6) served as controls and received no anthelmintic. Bitches and puppies were moved to the university on the day after birth and were maintained inside for 28 days. Weekly quantitative fecal exams were done on the bitches during this time. The puppies were euthanized humanely at 28 days of age. Intestinal parasites were recovered, identified, counted, sexed, and preserved in either 10% formalin or frozen at −70°C. The geometric mean numbers of adult Toxocara canis in the small intestines for Group A puppies (n = 40) were 2.8, 8.5 for Group B puppies (n = 39), and 29.7 for Group D puppies (n = 28). No adults were found in the Group C puppies (n = 15). The geometric mean eggs per gram of feces from the pups in group A, B, and D were 1.3, 704, and 27, 134, respectively. No eggs were recovered from the Group C pups. The strategic use of ivermectin at 300μ g/kg in greyhound bitches on Days 0, 30, and 60 of gestation reduced the worm burden carried by the puppies by 90% and the actual number of eggs passed into the environment by 99.8%. The same dose on day 42 reduced the worm burden by 71.4% and the number of eggs passed into the environment by 97.4%. This dose given on days 0, 30, and 60 plus 10 days postwhelping, reduced the worm burden by 100%, and no eggs were passed into the environment.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts