RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How long do you wait to enter a HT or FT after you female has started ther heat cycle? To be far to everyone else at the event....

Try'd to do a search but didn't find any thing...

Thanks, Mike

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
You can never be sure how long your bitch will be in heat. If she's had them before you probably have a good idea.

I normally figure 21 days as my bitches both seem to have heats that last ~19 days. Yours could vary a week maybe even two.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
I agree with Howard... bitches are different, but a minimum of 21 days is a good rule to follow.

Also, if you train with folks who have males, you can watch the males' reactions. If they are indifferent to having her around, this is another way to determine that it is now OK to enter her in an event.

Helen

·
Registered
6,461 Posts
Make sure you give them a bath before you run them... the "smell" can linger and males at the test may think they are still in season..

·
Registered
185 Posts
Just went through this, had to scratch on 3 tests. Scheduled for next weekend and that will have been one month to the day she started. Was going to run at 3 weeks (this weekend) but it was just 2 close. This was her first cycle.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info.

I was thinkn 3 to 4 weeks. Will have to wait for or first test. She missed her first FT with dan sayles back in oct. when he came back down to this also.

·
Registered
10,673 Posts
I wait 4 weeks as a general rule of thumb. There are many times that someone is complaining about a bitch in heat when their dog doesn't do well. Often the same people and the same dogs.
I have never blamed Chanel #5 for a poor performance for me or one of my dogs but it’s a telltale sign when your male who has never been bred sticks his nose on the ground in the holding blind and starts chattering his teeth. 😉

Reactions: saltgrass

·
Registered
6,258 Posts
I wait 4 weeks as a general rule of thumb. There are many times that someone is complaining about a bitch in heat when their dog doesn't do well. Often the same people and the same dogs.
Jake managed to get a JAM in a recent amateur and do well in a couple other stakes before falling victim to my piss poor handling. He was training with 3 to 4 bitches in heat and sleeping in a crate next to one of them.

Reactions: saltgrass
1 - 12 of 12 Posts