RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How long do you wait to enter a HT or FT after you female has started ther heat cycle? To be far to everyone else at the event....

Try'd to do a search but didn't find any thing...

Thanks, Mike

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
You can never be sure how long your bitch will be in heat. If she's had them before you probably have a good idea.

I normally figure 21 days as my bitches both seem to have heats that last ~19 days. Yours could vary a week maybe even two.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
I agree with Howard... bitches are different, but a minimum of 21 days is a good rule to follow.

Also, if you train with folks who have males, you can watch the males' reactions. If they are indifferent to having her around, this is another way to determine that it is now OK to enter her in an event.

Helen

·
Registered
6,461 Posts
Make sure you give them a bath before you run them... the "smell" can linger and males at the test may think they are still in season..

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
Bath (or swim) and I like to give mine chlorophyll throughout the season as well so if the test was shortly after, I may be inclined to keep her on it.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Just went through this, had to scratch on 3 tests. Scheduled for next weekend and that will have been one month to the day she started. Was going to run at 3 weeks (this weekend) but it was just 2 close. This was her first cycle.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info.

I was thinkn 3 to 4 weeks. Will have to wait for or first test. She missed her first FT with dan sayles back in oct. when he came back down to this also.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts