RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Administrator
3,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always been very cognizant of watching the dog's temp/condition, the humidity and temperature, etc when training. I hadn't really paid that much attention to my own discomfort.

Today taught me a lesson. After doing some water work with a couple of dogs, I found myself a little shaking. I had water available for me to drink, but kept on working. Didn't think too much about it since I was hot. I actually told one of the dogs I wished it was me making the water retrieves!! Within a couple of minutes, I felt worse. I got sick to my stomach, threw up and felt very weak. My legs and arms seemed very heavy. I came into the house (air conditioner is on) to cool off.

That didn't seem to be helping very much. So, I called the doctor's office and explained what I was feeling. My doctor advised me to continue drinking lots of fluid, rest and stay in the air conditioning.

That's been a few hours ago. I'm feeling better, but still a little queazy. Doc says I'll be ok.

So, all of that was shared to point out to everyone that, not only do we need to be aware of our dogs in the heat, but also ourselves!!!

Be careful!!

Vicky

·
Registered
205 Posts
I have similar problems in the heat, I am always very consious of it now. Feels like you cot run over by a truck for a day or so.

Lots of water and shade,

Kevin

·
Administrator
3,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is only the second time in my life that I've ever had a problem .... once (about 30 years ago) while playing in a softball tournament and then today.

I sure hope I don't have to experience it again for another 30 years!!!!

Vicky

·
Registered
187 Posts
Heat

Maybe you need to move up north to train :D

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
You be careful Mrs Vicky and others,

After a prolonged summer, its been great to find myself shivering from time to time, due to the colder temperature.

Wear a wide brimmed hat also? And let those dogs shake off excess water on your legs. Bliss.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts