RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dog currently only knows one side heel. He is 2 1/2 years old.Im going to start running him in hunt test. After a suggestion by some of my training group, i think i would like to teach him both sides. i started a couple days ago with treats and guiding him around. I think im only confusing him. Any suggestions would help. Or do you think i would be okay just leaving him heeling on left side only.

·
Registered
8,908 Posts
I teach all my young dogs to two side heal. When their young its not that difficult and in certain situations it does give me a bit of tool to use. Honestly though when people bring me 2 year olds or ask, I tell them its probably not worth the effort. At the end of the day, the dog has to mark, and remember where the mark is and which side he's on won't help with that.

/Paul

·
Registered
16 Posts
I was going to do the same thing and have my dog heel on both sides since I first trained her to heel on my right before really knowing what I was doing since I am a right handed shooter. She is 14 months old and has had trouble adjusting to heeling on the left since she has been heeling to the right for so long. I personally like my dog on the right even though its not really recommended from what I hear. I would just get my choke chain and lead out and go through the same drills you used to get your dog to heel on the other side. I would incorporate small hand signals to tip the dog off on which side you want it on. Take you time and try not to get frustrated! Make sure to heel the dog on first side you trained from time to time to make sure it doesn't forget that you still want it to be able to heel on that side. I am by no means a professional but this is what I would do. Others please chime in if you have a better method or tips, because I wouldn't mind learning also =)

Jamie

·
Registered
83 Posts
Ryan.......Darrin's dog is 3 1/2 and he's teaching her 2 sided heel right now. She's making progress, just take it slow. Bring it up Thursday.

G

·
Keep your commands the same, use your HAND(S) and a training tab (very short, maybe 6", piece of rope or whatever attached to collar).

Do simple obedience at home, work ALL ON THE WRONG SIDE. HELP her out. No corrections, no heeling stick. Just guide her around. PRAISE when she gets it right.

I have yet to have a dog that I haven't been able to make 2-sided, although I'm sure the day could come.

Bottom line is to TAKE YOUR TIME and HELP her out. Stay calm, guide her around.

In the field, as she approaches you, gently grab the tab and help her swing around to the right (when it's appropriate to be on the right). You can also do a little cha-cha-cha to help her come around.

So you gently take the tab take a few steps back as you guide her to your right and then a few steps forward to help her make the turn into your right side.

IF she's really struggling, and you have live guns, I'll have the guns give a little holler as the dog is trying to turn and this normally gets them to turn around pretty quick. ;)

Just take it really easy and slow. But be consistent with it. As she approaches you in either yard or field, have your right hand out to your side to let her know that's where you want her. Of course, she's going to want to go left... So BEFORE she has the chance to go left, you gently grab the tab, and lead her into you AS you take a few steps back. As you're stepping back, help her swing towards your right side. Then when she's over towards your right side, step forward again and use the tab to turn her into you at heel. Do NOT require a perfect sit at first. In fact, I wouldn't require any sit at first, just praise for her doing the turn. Then later require the sit... BUT NOT PERFECTLY SQUARE... Then as she gets it, square it up. Praise for good performance. A few weeks or a month later, you have a 2-sided dog...

The key is the training tab and that you HELP GUIDE HER versus forcing her.

Use your same commands and GUIDE HER THROUGH. She will come to recognize that your hand will tell her which side to go to. My dogs will return to the side where I have my hand out. I say heel for both sides, but they know which side to go to because of my hand...

Good luck. hang with it. It's uncomfortable and confusing for you both at first... I remember when I started heeling dogs on the right. I couldn''t stand it. I felt like i coudln't get my head in a good position to see them and I certainly couldn't use the heeling stick...

Well, like everything else, you get used to it after a while.

Good luck... Just ease into it... It's not going to happen overnight.

-K

·
Registered
86 Posts
As usual, Kristie is right! I was probably the first trainer in Western Canada to teach dogs 2-sided heeling. It came in very handy on many occasions, and is a good tool to have in your arsenal. I used the command 'other side', to get dogs to move from left to right side, or vice versa. I preferred a 6' leash to a tab, and would have young dogs sit squarely in front on return, then pick up the end of the lead and 'guide' them to left or right side with an exaggerated hand motion. Dogs pick this up on this very quickly, even older dogs. Good luck with yours!

·
Registered
86 Posts
As usual, Kristie is right! I was probably the first trainer in Western Canada to teach dogs 2-sided heeling. It came in very handy on many occasions, and is a good tool to have in your arsenal. I used the command 'other side', to get dogs to move from left to right side, or vice versa. In training, I preferred a 6' leash to a tab, and would have young dogs sit squarely in front on return, then pick up the end of the lead and 'guide' them to left or right side with an exaggerated hand motion. Dogs pick this up on this very quickly, even older dogs. Good luck with yours!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Two-sided heeling.

As usual, Kristie is right! I was probably the first trainer in Western Canada to teach dogs 2-sided heeling. It came in very handy on many occasions, and is a good tool to have in your arsenal. I used the command 'other side', to get dogs to move from left to right side, or vice versa. In training, I preferred a 6' leash to a tab, and would have young dogs sit squarely in front on return, then pick up the end of the lead and 'guide' them to left or right side with an exaggerated hand motion. Dogs pick this up on this very quickly, even older dogs. Good luck with yours!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Two-sided heeling.

·
Registered
5,314 Posts
Ryan,
I'll just say that Kristie is right this time :wink: and leave it at that.

Nothing to add regards,
john

G

·
john fallon said:
Ryan,
I'll just say that Kristie is right this time :wink: and leave it at that.

Nothing to add regards,
john
aw, that's sweet. That means you'll be saying it more often (each time??) LOL

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
When Kristie's right, she's really right!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts