RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
12 week old Puppy learning to walk on lead... Im using Hillman's Puppy DVD... Bean has made huge strides with walking on lead, but over the past week he has started to nip at my heels or jump and wrap his front paws around my leg as we walk... I usually just pull him off with the lead and keep going...

Have any of you guys experienced that before? I assume its just dominant/playful behavior coming out?

I dont expect him to be perfect on heel, or even close! We keep sessions short (no more than 5 minutes at a time) start with a few fun bumpers... walk on lead and work sit on command and whistle.... long sit... sit for retrieves... he is doing really really well on all of those, and actually is more explosive when he has to wait for a retrieve than when we throw fun bumpers... but he is struggling to understand the lead and heel.

Suggestions?

·
Registered
12,476 Posts
..... he has started to nip at my heels or jump and wrap his front paws around my leg as we walk... I usually just pull him off with the lead and keep going...

Suggestions?
he may have some Mississippi Leg Hound, in him???:D
kidding!!!
but bonus points if you name the movie;-)
do you own one of these yet?
from the Days End banner above

EDIT it was Missisippi leg hound.... the dogs name was Snots

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
12 week old Puppy ...
Suggestions?

Hillman puppy video starts with 11 week old pup and has a session about every three days.

Your pup is 12 weeks old, so if started at 11 weeks and following Hillman, you would be on about day 2 or 3 in the DVD. Go back and re-watch day three and I'll bet you see the pup in the DVD probably isn't walking at perfect heel and is being controlled by Bill.

You may be trying to compress the 28 training sessions from the DVD into 28 calendar days or less.

Stick with the program, take your time, and you and pup will be fine.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Theres something wrong with your dog eddy, na hes just yackin on a bone,yep there it is hes got it clark. What a classic movie! /In all serious though the dog is only 12 weeks old dont demand perfection yet. Remember the famous words of chris atkinson (no puppy has a bad day). Have fun hes only a baby.

·
Registered
306 Posts
We are talking about playful 12 week old puppy who needs to be shown what heel is. This starts by luring them into the correct position and treating when they are in the correct position. It goes extremely fast if you will incorporate some sort of marker (clicker or yes).

marker training theory
http://leerburg.com/flix/player.php?id=529

As good as hillman is (it is great, I used it) I still think he could do more with the use of markers and treats at an early age.

·
Registered
227 Posts
he may have some Mississippi Leg Hound, in him???:D
kidding!!!
but bonus points if you name the movie;-)
do you own one of these yet?
from the Days End banner above

EDIT it was Missisippi leg hound.... the dogs name was Snots

"If the mood catch's him, he'll just grab your leg and go to town, you don't want him around if your wearing short pants if you know what I mean!,... A word of warning to ya though? If he does lay into you? best to just let him wear himself out n finish...

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
As good as hillman is (it is great, I used it) I still think he could do more with the use of markers and treats at an early age.

I'm using Hillmann’s Puppy program on my current pup too, as well as knowledge/tips from other pro's on off days during this puppy stage. At first with treats I wasn’t too sure about using them. The thought of feeding him for obeying seemed off.

However now I use one pebble of his dog food per command obeyed in the evenings to enforce I guess, what he already knows and WOW am I impressed!

I can ‘Heel’ him easily, then to ‘Sit’, ‘Load up’ on top the work table/vehicle and work on ‘Here’ without even attaching a leash. His response to the commands is very crisp and his work in regular training days is also improving. Of course not just b/c of the treat training but it’s got to be helping.

I still only plan to do this only once a week or two but I have to say it’s very encouraging to work him off the leash completely and get very crisp responses to commands.

Plus it also lets you know what he knows. When I saw how fast he was sitting during treat training sessions, how much more proper his posture was and how hard he’d run towards me on the ‘Here’ command. I knew he was capable of doing the same in regular training sessions. Little devil lol I got his number now and the bar has been raised. ;)

/

·
Registered
306 Posts
I'm using Hillmann’s Puppy program on my current pup too, as well as knowledge/tips from other pro's on off days during this puppy stage. At first with treats I wasn’t too sure about using them. The thought of feeding him for obeying seemed off.

However now I use one pebble of his dog food per command obeyed in the evenings to enforce I guess, what he already knows and WOW am I impressed!

I can ‘Heel’ him easily, then to ‘Sit’, ‘Load up’ on top the work table/vehicle and work on ‘Here’ without even attaching a leash. His response to the commands is very crisp and his work in regular training days is also improving. Of course not just b/c of the treat training but it’s got to be helping.

I still only plan to do this only once a week or two but I have to say it’s very encouraging to work him off the leash completely and get very crisp responses to commands.

Plus it also lets you know what he knows. When I saw how fast he was sitting during treat training sessions, how much more proper his posture was and how hard he’d run towards me on the ‘Here’ command. I knew he was capable of doing the same in regular training sessions. Little devil lol I got his number now and the bar has been raised. ;)
Dustin,

You're on to something but I think you've still got a ways to go. (Don't get me wrong, I definitely do too). Check out that link I posted. It is the single best dog training video I've ever seen. Michael Ellis is one of the best dog trainers in the country IMO. He explains in the video how markers work, how to train with treats, how and when to incorporate pressure, etc. and he clearly explains WHY things work and WHY some things dont work.

Don't get caught thinking that if you use treats you must use them every time for the rest of their lives. That is the biggest misconception about treat training. Oh, and try using something with higher reward value than kibble (hot dogs, freeze dried liver, etc) and if you can incorporate a marker like "yes" or a click it makes things even better. The click or "yes" (marker) has the same ability as far as timing for a reward as the ecollar does for a correction. Let me know what you think.

Dustin

·
Registered
893 Posts
"If the mood catch's him, he'll just grab your leg and go to town, you don't want him around if your wearing short pants if you know what I mean!,... A word of warning to ya though? If he does lay into you? best to just let him wear himself out n finish...

CLARK????? LOL

·
Registered
5,252 Posts

Your right, Hillman has a lot to learn. Those pups he turns out are a mess.

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
I see nothing wrong and plenty of good from using treats to train puppies. When they are babies, your main job is to instill a love of learning and shameless bribery with treats works just fine for this because you're luring them into doing what you want and creating opportunities to praise them. Later the retrieve becomes the reward but teaching them the obedience basics like sit, here, heel, etc. is so easy with treats.

By the way I think heeling is a fairly abstract concept for them to learn so at 3 mos. and under I'm pretty happy with a puppy that will walk along on a slack lead without dragging. Teaching them to sit when you stop and walk in step with you comes a bit later. If I have a pup that bites at the leash, I'll just use a chain leash. Don't forget the heeling stick as Ken suggested, it's a good idea to get them used to it from a young age. You don't use it to hit them, more like an extension of your arm to stop things like forging ahead of you. In fact I like to get them used to the heeling stick while I'm still in the treat-bribery stage. Then it's not such a big deal when you use it later in formalizing obedience.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Your right, Hillman has a lot to learn. Those pups he turns out are a mess.
I knew someone would say something and I am a big believer in hillmann's methods and the dogs his methods produce. However, I think that more can be done faster And with even less pressure by incorporating treats, particularly with markers. The video shows none of that but i think Bill acknoledges the power treats on his blog.

I think the retriever world in general has some catching up to do on the use of markers/treats, especially with early ob.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Dustin,

You're on to something but I think you've still got a ways to go. (Don't get me wrong, I definitely do too). Check out that link I posted. It is the single best dog training video I've ever seen. Michael Ellis is one of the best dog trainers in the country IMO. He explains in the video how markers work, how to train with treats, how and when to incorporate pressure, etc. and he clearly explains WHY things work and WHY some things dont work.

Don't get caught thinking that if you use treats you must use them every time for the rest of their lives. That is the biggest misconception about treat training. Oh, and try using something with higher reward value than kibble (hot dogs, freeze dried liver, etc) and if you can incorporate a marker like "yes" or a click it makes things even better. The click or "yes" (marker) has the same ability as far as timing for a reward as the ecollar does for a correction. Let me know what you think.

Dustin

Thanks

I'll have to watch it later. 70 minutes of video at work might get me tossed lol

I have a Heeling stick just never thought of using it really at this age in my attempt to follow Hillmann's DVD to the letter. Couldn't hurt for keeping him in the heel I guess but he already does a pretty good heel on a slack leash now.

/

·
Registered
12 Posts
I know for my little girl heel was the hardest command for her to get. Sit, stay, come were very easy, but she is 8 months old now and just recently cleaned up her heal to the point that I feel confident doing it off leash outside the house. This may have a lot to do with me being a first time dog trainer, but it seemed to be a much more difficult concept to understand for her.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I knew someone would say something and I am a big believer in hillmann's methods and the dogs his methods produce. However, I think that more can be done faster And with even less pressure by incorporating treats, particularly with markers. The video shows none of that but i think Bill acknoledges the power treats on his blog.

I think the retriever world in general has some catching up to do on the use of markers/treats, especially with early ob.
I'd say bill's method is pretty proven. Having trained the most high point derby dogs in field trial history... If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Don't get me wrong, treat training works. Bill just has something that works very well and is "outside the box" in my opinion.

·
Registered
172 Posts

·
Registered
5,252 Posts

Nothing wrong with working to improve on what someone else has done and nothing wrong with unconventional. Bill's method is a testament to trying something new.

The difference is that he has the years of experience and has produced the dogs to validate what he is doing. Many of the people on RTF are following a program such as Hillman's because they don't have the experience to train freehand, they need more of a paint by numbers deal.

As far as retriever world catching up, well all I can say is that when somebody clicks and treats a few dogs to high point dog, FC/AFC, and a National win, maybe people will pay more attention to them.

·
Registered
172 Posts
when somebody clicks and treats a few dogs to high point dog, FC/AFC, and a National win, maybe people will pay more attention to them.
^^this exactly^^

1 - 20 of 27 Posts