RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. Need some help. Been working with my pup on force fetch. Hold went great. She got the hang of it immediately. Had little trouble with walking hold but got through it. We are now to force to pile and keeps getting worse with barely holding the bumper. I correct Everytime to maintain standard and even stopped to go back to hold but she continues to not want to hold on it. She has such a loose mouth. What can I do? I'd take my hard mouth dogs over this crap. Thanks

·
Registered
9,442 Posts
Use a weighted object like a hammer...

·
Registered
478 Posts
Something very obvious, but possibly overlooked: is she teething? If so, wait till she's done. Make sure her mouth and teeth have no problems regardless of whether she is teething. If continued attempts fail, find someone very experienced with force fetch to take a first hand look at her.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
She is like 9 months. Not teething. Very loose mouth. Just doesn't want to clamp down and hold bumper right. I'll work on it. Get it back right then work on marks or FTP and she is right back to where she was

·
Registered
12,625 Posts
hmmmm???
from the safety of the keyboard, being unable to see you and the dog, knowing only what you have typed. I would guess avoidance of some sorts with your pile work. If dog understands hold, and you back up and revisit hold and dog again gets it..... BUT you go back to your pile work and the sloppy mouth rears it's head again........
I think your dog found a way to get out of the pile work it does not like by being sloppy so you stop the drill and go back to hold where the dog is comfy and understands what you want. I have had a couple Chesapeakes that truly hated repetitive drill work and it was a challenge advancing them before they may be ready to just to fight the boredom and accompanying avoidance.
When you revisit hold and the dog gets it and then come back to pile work, is the hold fine for the first few sends?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes it is. This keeps happening. We make progress somewhat the the mouth gets to sloppy and I go back working with hold. Get that cleaned up to where I think she is fixed. Try back at ff or FTP, then it starts getting sloppy again

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
I hate making excuses for my own girls, but there are stages of development that I've found are not the best for doing any training that involves a little more stress than normal. I'd put FTP in that category. She may not be mature enough to handle it yet. Or, she may be brewing hormones. She may just be growing and not feeling 100%. This is when I like to read my dog, and switch gears if need be. What good is it if you ruin her drive and enthusiasm? Why not work on something else-- obedience or such? Or god forbid, take a little break? :cool:

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm gonna work with a heavy object like hammer. Haven't tried that yet. I think it will. I have taken breaks too. Kinda running low on options. Guess if training my own dogs would pay the bills, i wouldn't have this problem. Lol. They all have their special corks about them. That's y we love them

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
This is fairly common in yardwork, I forgot where you are located at, but I most often see it when I am getting deep into a session(15+ minutes) in the summer time, and dog is starting to get hot. If heat is your issue, you could work her earlier in the morning and in shorter sessions.
If you still have issues, or heat wasn't the problem in the first place, just back up a little and work on fetch and hold. Have her fetch the bumper, and while she is holding it, tap it - knock it around, see if you can get her to drop it. immediately when she does, pinch the ear and say "Fetch" - keeping up the pressure until she grabs it. You are basically making her work to hold it, and it will create a desire and a reason for her to hold it tighter. Repeat process until she is good and solid. End session. Repeat session several days in a row. Keep your standards up, if she starts up with it again after you go back to FTP, stop your session and work on it again.

Know how you are feeling, there are easy dogs to FF and then there are these......:rolleyes:

Abby

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hey guys. Need some help. Been working with my pup on force fetch. Hold went great. She got the hang of it immediately. Had little trouble with walking hold but got through it. We are now to force to pile and keeps getting worse with barely holding the bumper. I correct Everytime to maintain standard and even stopped to go back to hold but she continues to not want to hold on it. She has such a loose mouth. What can I do? I'd take my hard mouth dogs over this crap. Thanks
Did you do stick fetch and collar fetch ?

·
Registered
7,466 Posts
Does she deliver to hand each time?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This is fairly common in yardwork, I forgot where you are located at, but I most often see it when I am getting deep into a session(15+ minutes) in the summer time, and dog is starting to get hot. If heat is your issue, you could work her earlier in the morning and in shorter sessions.
If you still have issues, or heat wasn't the problem in the first place, just back up a little and work on fetch and hold. Have her fetch the bumper, and while she is holding it, tap it - knock it around, see if you can get her to drop it. immediately when she does, pinch the ear and say "Fetch" - keeping up the pressure until she grabs it. You are basically making her work to hold it, and it will create a desire and a reason for her to hold it tighter. Repeat process until she is good and solid. End session. Repeat session several days in a row. Keep your standards up, if she starts up with it again after you go back to FTP, stop your session and work on it again.

Know how you are feeling, there are easy dogs to FF and then there are these......:rolleyes:

Abby
I have worked through this and continues to give me problems. Have taken breaks. Trying multiple objects. Just work on hold and still has problems

·
Registered
7,466 Posts
Then she doesn't deliver to hand.
I would do a drill with coming to heel. Put dog on 6-8 ft. lead, put in remote sit position immediately in front of you, put bumper in dogs mouth, call to heel, make dog sit with bumper at heel and hold for a period of time say 5-10 seconds. If drops force pickup and repeat. You can do more reps of this because the distance is so short. When he gets this down extend the distance for the remote sit.
Sounds like you went too fast through ob with bumper in mouth and may have skipped the above step.
I wouldn't be concerned if the hold is loose. Just so she doen't drop the bumper and delivers to hand on command.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
I have worked through this and continues to give me problems. Have taken breaks. Trying multiple objects. Just work on hold and still has problems
Than you didn't do it right. The problem you are describing will be fixed very easily by re-enforcing what you taught the dog to do earlier. HOLD THE BUMPER. There is PAIN if you don't HOLD THE BUMPER. If you DROP THE BUMPER, you WILL get your ear PINCHED. Trying multiple objects will most likely not work because your standard is so lax. Get in her face and make her do what you told her to do.

·
Registered
7,411 Posts
Than you didn't do it right. The problem you are describing will be fixed very easily by re-enforcing what you taught the dog to do earlier. HOLD THE BUMPER. There is PAIN if you don't HOLD THE BUMPER. If you DROP THE BUMPER, you WILL get your ear PINCHED. Trying multiple objects will most likely not work because your standard is so lax. Get in her face and make her do what you told her to do.
This! I just finished one of the toughest dogs I have ever FF'ed. She used every method of avoidance known, was stubborn as a mule and bit me twice (also 2 years old and set in her ways). The trick is consistency and patience. You have to out last them and let them know that their decisions have consequences. I suspect the problem is more one of not fully completing hold. Moving on too soon is the biggest mistake I see with people FF'ing their own dogs. When you think your dog is done with one stage, do it for two more days.

·
Registered
130 Posts

^^^^ YUP ^^^^

1 - 20 of 32 Posts