RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought 2 10x10 6' high kennels from a club member. I have cleared a nice shaded area in woods next to our house. I have 2 Labs that are house dogs and am just going to be using the kennel for keeping track of them during the day when our kids are in and out of the house. Without pooring a conrete pad, what is an economical solution for the floor of the outdoor fenced area?? Is stone/gravel a viable option? If so what size stone...smaller better? Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
You might consider using those 12" or 16" stepping stones over a nice sand layer. Easy to clean and movable. Prevents digging too.

·
Registered
9,442 Posts
You might consider using those 12" or 16" stepping stones over a nice sand layer. Easy to clean and movable. Prevents digging too.
This is what we did and it has worked for us for many years.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have a out side kennel that I will be doing the same thing with this summer. I plan on using the stepping stones like Cleo mentioned. If you are not particular to the stones matching each other your can usually find extras at yard sales or the classifieds for a good price from time to time.

Mike

·
Registered
907 Posts
This is what we did and it has worked for us for many years.
Including the fact that we moved the kennels, and reused them

·
Registered
834 Posts
X 3 on the 12 x16 steppers. They also help keep toe nails short. Course stones not slick.

Randy

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So would the first step be to put down a gravel base to aid with leveling and help with drainage, then go with the large 12 or 16" steppers on top of the gravel with sand between steppers? Thanks so much for your imput!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Think about your slope, which way you would like it to drain. 1.5% - 2% is about right. For the best finished look, you should have a gravel base, then about 1" of washed sand. Use screed pipes and a screed (long piece of 2x6 works great). Pull the screed across the sand and lay a row, repeat. I have numerous kennels built in this fashion and they hold up great. After all the stones are laid, brush some sand over the top with a push broom to lock them into place. They sell a plastic edging to place around the edge that is held in place by landscape spikes. Then, backfill.

Good luck!

·
Registered
309 Posts
We just finished a kennel project using pavers, and I'm very happy with the results. Adding to the previously-mentioned advice, I also recommend using a paver sealer. I bought a 5 gallon container at Menards that both seals and locks the sand in the seams. You'll also notice better stability between the individual pavers once it's been sealed. Property Shed Building House Shack

·
Registered
153 Posts
Can you hose it out every day or would that wash away the sand in between the pavers? I am thinking of doing this in my side yard.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Can you hose it out every day or would that wash away the sand in between the pavers? I am thinking of doing this in my side yard.
I used to be a Landscape construction Contractor and I installed tons of interlocking brick, I used polymeric sand to lock the joints and seal them to prevent weeds, ant damage and sand wash out. Here's a link to info on it, you can probably call any landscape supply company or interlock retailer to get some, but if you are using 12"x 12" or 16"x 16" pavers you'll only need a fraction of a pail or bag so maybe try to buy some in small amounts. Dont hold me to it but a 10'X 10' kennel might only take two or three margerine containers to seal it.

http://www.groundtradesxchange.com/pavers/polymeric_sand.htm

·
Registered
877 Posts
Is there any reason why anyone would not use treated lumber after it has been cleaned?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts