RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having a problem.

My dog has had a mild case of dandruff on the back end of back for the past month or so. It was very localized about a 6 inch circle right along his spine just in front of his tail. I thought it was no big deal as he was still a pup. been giving him salmon oil pills on occassion to help with coat as well as an odd raw egg.

Tonight i went to brush him out as i notice the hair was very loose on this spot. It came out in clumps. The hair was very oily so i don't think diet is a problem but there is little red spots on his skin.

The last time this happened to a pup i had as a kid it cost us 500 dollars got us no where and in the end we had to put the dog down as winter came and it had no hair. So at this time any ideas would be great.

Thanks

Lee

·
Registered
847 Posts
Might want to go to vet and let them run some tests. Kinda sounds like demodectic mange.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Having a problem.

It was very localized about a 6 inch circle right along his spine just in front of his tail.

Thanks

Lee
VET TIME.... Vet time .... But, if it was a circular pattern to start and then spread - I’d guess fungal (ring-worm) ??

·
Registered
543 Posts
Sounds like the symptoms we had, once, and it was fleas. The vet said that is an area they seems to bite & some dogs have like an allergy to their bites.
Just saying, might want to check

·
Registered
13 Posts
I would check with vet firsts but I have a female choc. that has had simalar problems with the dry skin and hair falling out and itching that got very bad and I switched to pro plan sensitve skin and she now has a very nice shinny coat vet says its allergies to ingediantes in the dog food.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts