RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to help a friend to teach hold to a 2 yrs old Male Lab. His obedience is very good, heels on both side, steady sit, here is good, but, when a mark is thrown he will drop the bumper on the way back. Now when started to work on hold it has become a battle of he just doesn't want hold the paint roller and practically have to wrestle with him. He rolls around on the grass/floor or tries to take the roller out with his front paw, does anything to not to hold it. Please help with this issue any good comments/suggestions will be greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Is FF out of the question?

Is there anything he likes to hold? Stuffed toy or something. You could pull the stuffing out of a toy and place the bumper inside to get him used to the hardness of a bumper.

Has or does he get yelled at in the house for picking things up like shoes? If he has it may be carring over to his work.

Has he had birds? If yes, does he hold them?

Sorry more questions than help just trying to get more info.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is FF out of the question?

Is there anything he likes to hold? Stuffed toy or something. You could pull the stuffing out of a toy and place the bumper inside to get him used to the hardness of a bumper.

Has or does he get yelled at in the house for picking things up like shoes? If he has it may be carring over to his work.

Has he had birds? If yes, does he hold them?

Sorry more questions than help just trying to get more info.
Trying to teach hold and then FF.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
I just posted this link on a similiar thread today
I really like the way that Tera demonstrates force fetch on her web site:
http://forcefetch.com/

Sequentially it breaks down the steps with U-tube demos in a easy way to understand for the person FF their first dog and also those that have an adversion to this process and helps those understand better

Hope it helps. Of course, the best way to learn is like I did seeing a pro FF many many dogs, and then FF many of my own over the years.

By the way, I always teach hold first as part of FF.. that's how I was instructed.

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
You can use something like the Bill Hillman Fetch program. That is the way I'm going with a pup I've got now.

In the past, I've used the Dobbs Trained Retrieve.
This is an article...
http://dobbsdogs.com/library/retrievers/rjpart1.html

But I purchased the VHS tape. Actually had to buy a VHS player to watch it. They may produce a DVD now.

·
Registered
7,472 Posts
Yep, that happens. The struggle that is. You just have to stay with it. It is best if you have the dog on a table but not necessary.

I had one that was really bad that way. I did it on the ground before I had a table at home. I cinched him to a fence post so he couldn't get away from me. It took a few days of getting the dummy in his mouth and talking quietly to him to get him to hold but it can be done. This dog was an older dog also.

Good luck!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Pain in the ass isnt it? Im dealing with a 1 yr old on the same issue. I've made some progress with sitting on a bucket with her tight to me in a sit, one leg tight behind her behind, collar loose enough I can get 4 fingers under and ear pinch, and any time that puppy bumper isn't in her mouth she gets a pinch, a paw comes up, ear pinch, if she holds for a solid but even short period she gets a fun bumper tossed then right back into it

·
Registered
7,657 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update
After a few session with probably the most important tool "patience" (thanks Wayne) dog doesn't wrestle anymore, but, he doesn't want to keep the roller in mouth. I have to physically help him and have got him to hold it for 3-6 seconds without help. After 5 days I don't see any progress. Should I use a bumper or a heavier object or should I keep with the paint roller until he holds it for a longer period of time? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Are you giving a "firm tap" on the bottom jaw when it gets loose? A "Hold, Tap, Hold" would work here.

Before you start FF, I will make a very strong recomendation to find someone with some expirence with it if you don't have very much prior. Inexpirenced trainers often have trouble with understanding the process and learning to READ THE DOG. This is a valuable lesson for the trainer as much as the dog.

·
Registered
506 Posts
anytime you attempt to ff an older dog, the side effects are going to show their ugly face. To get the dog into a more submissive attitude, first, try a very aggressive heel and sit session for about 10 minutes before the ff session. Any dog, especially an older one that pulls that kind of bullshit has not lived a very disciplined life. if he lies down, get out your heeling stick and give him a taste of the heeling drill you just finished. if you do not have the stomach for aggressive training with this dog, send him to a pro. Make sure this dog has some redeeming quality that makes such an effort worthwhile.
good luck
GG

·
Registered
7,472 Posts
Yep, that happens. Essentially same post as before. Stay with it. Sometimes, I have to hold my hand under the dogs chin for quite a while to keep him from dropping. Then move to tapping under the chin frequently.

I use a dummy and do not use a paint roller. Some do and there is no problem with either in my opinion. Some dogs just go slow in this process. I try to increase the hold time in increments of time (seconds at first).

Just keep at it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts