RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
John and I have a LOT of ribbons and trophies that we have accummulated very happily over a 55 year period. We are getting old.
Nobody in our families will give a hoot about them when we pass on. The good traveling trophies can go to the RHOP. Does anyone have any idea of what do with them? Open to suggestions. Do any of the clubs recycle their old awarded trophies to represent? What about ribbons. One friend says he is going to put all his in the hole they will bury him in. I don't think we want to do that. Ugh!

·
Registered
284 Posts
I train with a lady who's daughter made a quilt out of all the ribbons she has gotten. Very cool. If I can get a pic of it I will share it with you.

·
Registered
8,363 Posts
Hi Mrs. Martin,

Welcome to RTF. I just responded to your email and I hope you find a good outlet for your collection.

Let me know please if there's a way I can help.

Thanks, Chris

·
Registered
614 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You could make it in all green. Also, depending on how many ribbons you have, there are little tiny quilts that you can hang on the wall! Judy I know that Tom Sorenson from a jillion years ago papered the john in his kennel building with green ribbons. Judy

·
Registered
192 Posts
Judy - you might talk to the retriever clubs that you have been members of and see if they have interest in 're-gifting' (re-using, as trophies) any of your old trophies. Maybe they are not antiques but they do have historical value. In many cases (depends on type of trophy), you can have a small engraved plaque made to indentify the new use and apply it to the old trophy. I have some experience doing this so if you have questions feel free to contact me at [email protected]
Diane

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have thought about doing that--especially with the decoys. Also some of the others that are pretty nice. I have wondered how it would work like this:

Name of club
stake and placement
year
add: John W. Martin
NFC/AFC Orion's Sky

and then,

Name of Club
Stake and Placement
New Year

Some clubs might go for that. It is a lot cheaper than their purchasing new trophies and probably a lot better than they are giving out now! Good suggestion! Thanks, Judy

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Judy - you might talk to the retriever clubs that you have been members of and see if they have interest in 're-gifting' (re-using, as trophies) any of your old trophies. Maybe they are not antiques but they do have historical value. In many cases (depends on type of trophy), you can have a small engraved plaque made to indentify the new use and apply it to the old trophy. I have some experience doing this so if you have questions feel free to contact me at [email protected]
Diane
We have a friend in a similar situation - a house full of trophies that the kids have no interest in. Would love to see those "recycled."

·
Registered
952 Posts
That is beautiful. I'd much rather have that than the 500 point jacket I've been chasing.

Lonnie Spann
You better know it. The new 500 point jackets (ah...shirts) look like cheap junk!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts