RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
BLM has started making a circling (5-10ft) turn upon returning from back pile on double T instead of a straight back. Would like to try and correct prior to becoming a habit. Ideas? Suggestions on correction?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I would wait for a battle worth fighting and leave that alone.

·
Registered
5,248 Posts
How old? What training has been done?

Evan

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
Are you saying he runs a banana on the return with a 10 feet bow at the max?

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
I straighten lines by putting chairs out at the point the flare occurs and simplifying. If your PB field is tight like mine, use a remote noise making device to cue the dog to the direction of each pile (tri tronics pro control reciever) along with bucket or white fence post.

Why not complete swim by prior to PB's?

·
Registered
5,248 Posts
18mo. Just finishing yard work/running pattern blinds. Will soon be moving on to swim by.
I know it's dangerous to assume, but I'll assume until you tell me differently that all this means he's CC'd. So, this is an area that sounds like you need to use your tools; "Here" (or 'toot-toot')/nick - "Here", and use enough pressure to get a behavior change.

If your dog were coming with adequate determination, he wouldn't have time to loop like that. The reason I think this should be treated instead of ignored is that his doing this with regularity is symptomatic of an attitude of indifference toward a vitally important command. Now, imagine one of those times when he's deep of a fall, and you're trying to call him. As happens many times with dogs that have that indifferent attitude, he doesn't come; he just breaks down into a hunt.

He should come when called, and do so with determination. It's also usually an easy fix.

Evan

·
Registered
75 Posts
Just a newbie here (and at pretty much the same stage of training as the OP) but is a 10-ft flare on the return really something to worry about and use collar corrections for?

·
Registered
5,248 Posts
Just a newbie here (and at pretty much the same stage of training as the OP) but is a 10-ft flare on the return really something to worry about and use collar corrections for?
You make such a correction sound much bigger than it is. It isn't, nor should it be. That looping, by itself, isn't my concern so much as the attitude it is a symptom of. If you have it going on, and don't care, don't correct for it. If I have it, I'll correct for it, get it dealt with quickly and with minimal fanfare, and live with a more efficient and attentive dog. You choose.

Evan

·
Registered
7,433 Posts
Is he making a big loop on a snatch pickup and then getting back on line? Or is he making the banana loop all the way back in?

If the latter, I agree with Evan. If you don't want to use ecollar pressure, you can move closer to the pile and see if he'll straighten out that way and then gradually move out further.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Would you see something like that occur as a by product with a dog who was "shopping" and then by correction by ec create a hot spot at the pile so it causes the flare on the return?

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
Not in my opinion. A 10 foot flare on a 100 yard pile isn't enough to get bothered about.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
In T work, I have found it very common for dogs to flare the intersection on the return from the long pile. This is because sometimes they get a stimulation at that point to keep them going and not popping while anticipating a whistle for an over cast. The intersection has become a "hot spot" and they don't want to get there for a possible stimulation. They are thinking that "if I don't go ther, I won't get buzzed". very smart if you ask me.
If I am misinterpretting this , sorry.
I never worry about it, because when you go to PB's and real blinds, there won't be a hot spot because there is no intersection and mine always come straight back after finding the bird.
Pick a fight worth fighting.
MP

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Is he making a big loop on a snatch pickup and then getting back on line? Or is he making the banana loop all the way back in?

If the latter, I agree with Evan. If you don't want to use ecollar pressure, you can move closer to the pile and see if he'll straighten out that way and then gradually move out further.
Thanks for all the feedback. He has been cc. It's a snatch pick up and short loop. Maybe 10-15 yards before he's back on line. There is no shopping, he hits the pile hard and fast everytime. The puzzling and frustrating part is that when the distance is shortened the loop completly disappears. There are no loops in walking baseball or wagon wheel drills. It only occurs at 50 yds plus.

Now with that being said, I fully realize this may just be me being picky. I simply thought it would be easier to correct now before it grew into something more substantial, making it one less thing to worry about later, as distances inevitably increase.

·
Registered
5,248 Posts
So, does it become an exponentially larger loop as distance increases? If not, you may be right; just nick picking. You'll have to read him yourself as to whether this is really an issue at all.

Evan

·
Registered
7,433 Posts
I would just leave it alone. The loop may be caused by him picking up ground speed at longer distances before he gets to the pile.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
I would just leave it alone. The loop may be caused by him picking up ground speed at longer distances before he gets to the pile.
Now that I've thought about more, you might just be right Wayne. He does not slow at all in advance of the pile. It very well may be just momentum pulling him wide on the return.

I may shoot and post some video later for closer look. Thanks again for everyones feed back. Us amatures can use all the help we can get!!!!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts