RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey folks.

I have a 2.5 yr old male. This summer at a hunt test, the honor dog, a 105 lb male with a history of going after other dogs, left his handler's side and came straight at my dog aggressively. We broke it up before fur started to fly hot and heavy. That dog was DQ'd. The next day, I was dog #1, and that mean so and so, was the bye dog, so at the line to honor again. I was walking toward the holding blind with my dog comfortably at heel, looking at that mean sucker, wondering why he was allowed to compete (I'm new at this game). Anyhow, from at least 20 yards away, that dog turns around and runs straight at my dog, and the mother of all fights was on. Fur was flying. I was kicking at the other dog to get it away, after trying to separate them. This was bad guys. Finally, a lady picked up a chair and threw it at the other dog and it went away long enough for me to get my lead on my dog. Thankfully, my dog got away with only a cut on his nose.

At the next hunt test, a month later, this dog again left the honor position and went after another dog coming out of the holding blind.

Fast forward a few months. Now I have a dog who was once friendly and wanted to play with all the dogs in the neighborhood on walks, with his hair raised and fangs bared whenever any male dog comes near him. He's not to the point of wanting to go after them leaving my side, but he is seriously on the defensive, and ready to fight if the male comes near. I am frustrated to no end, and at a loss as to what to do in hopes of getting my pleasant boy back again.

Currently, I am looking after my buddies 11 yr old male, as his female is in heat. I have tried getting them to be friends, but have had no luck at all.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
9,620 Posts
To address your problem, I would seek the advice of a qualified animal behaviorist.

The larger question is why was this aggressive dog allowed to continue it’s carnage. After the second incident it should have received a lifetime suspension.

In your particular case or anyone else with a similar situation I would refuse to be on line with an aggressive dog in any capacity.

·
Registered
586 Posts
To address your problem, I would seek the advice of a qualified animal behaviorist.

The larger question is why was this aggressive dog allowed to continue it’s carnage. After the second incident it should have received a lifetime suspension.

In your particular case or anyone else with a similar situation I would refuse to be on line with an aggressive dog in any capacity.
I would second EdA’s comment.

Root of the issue is what happened at those tests. And you somehow now need to reset the dogs brain. Sounds as though he’s in a defensive attack mode now whenever he sees another dog. Seek professional help. Likely more than any of us average trainers can deal with. You might be able to get it under control now before it goes too far.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Hey folks.

I have a 2.5 yr old male. This summer at a hunt test, the honor dog, a 105 lb male with a history of going after other dogs, left his handler's side and came straight at my dog aggressively. We broke it up before fur started to fly hot and heavy. That dog was DQ'd. The next day, I was dog #1, and that mean so and so, was the bye dog, so at the line to honor again. I was walking toward the holding blind with my dog comfortably at heel, looking at that mean sucker, wondering why he was allowed to compete (I'm new at this game). Anyhow, from at least 20 yards away, that dog turns around and runs straight at my dog, and the mother of all fights was on. Fur was flying. I was kicking at the other dog to get it away, after trying to separate them. This was bad guys. Finally, a lady picked up a chair and threw it at the other dog and it went away long enough for me to get my lead on my dog. Thankfully, my dog got away with only a cut on his nose.

At the next hunt test, a month later, this dog again left the honor position and went after another dog coming out of the holding blind.

Fast forward a few months. Now I have a dog who was once friendly and wanted to play with all the dogs in the neighborhood on walks, with his hair raised and fangs bared whenever any male dog comes near him. He's not to the point of wanting to go after them leaving my side, but he is seriously on the defensive, and ready to fight if the male comes near. I am frustrated to no end, and at a loss as to what to do in hopes of getting my pleasant boy back again.

Currently, I am looking after my buddies 11 yr old male, as his female is in heat. I have tried getting them to be friends, but have had no luck at all.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Dang. That is extremely unfortunate and I am shocked that dog was able to continue to compete. Hope you get it all figured out.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
Wow, this story is terrible, and like all I cannot understand why the owner of the aggressive dog did not give up on taking that dog anywhere. I had one dog that was aggressive with me a few times. He never was with other dogs and people. Just me! I took him to a well recommended behaviorist. This guy was able to put my dog into an aggressive mode within a few minutes of observing him. He said their were basically two types of dog aggression. Most can be resolved with special training, some cannot! In our case, it was not something he felt could be resolved. We kept the dog guarded with us in our house being sure that no one had access to him. He got a bad form of bone cancer in his hind leg. We then decided to put him down.

Good luck with your dog, I bet in time a good behaviorist trainer, can work him through it....I would send the bill to the clown who owned the other dog!

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
What are the odds the owner of this 105lb dog is an entrenched member of the area clubs.

Someone needs to address the issue, that is for sure.

·
Registered
12,134 Posts
Why was the mean dog allowed to continue running events? Well, probably no one has bothered to put pen to paper and write up the dog and send it to the AKC. It can be done after the event, it can be done for things that happen that are not even a AKC events. I was event Secretary of NAHRA Field Test.That had a beloved club members dog injure a puppy brought by a passerby. The passerby wrote the AKC and it trickled down to me. And the dog ended up with 1 strike/ report on its AKC records. Sounds like the OP could write this mean dog up twice. If they witnessed 2 incidents. I think that is enough to kick the dog out of the games.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
As I believe the OP is in Canada ..... The Canadian Kennel Club rule book Chapter 6.5 specifically speaks to a dog being disqualified for agressive behaviour. If this is your club, you may want to suggest the hunt test committee review the rules before the next event in case this handler continues to try to enter this dog.

From the CKC -

6.5 Disqualification & Reinstatement (19-03-16)

6.5.1 Any dog disqualified for biting or viciousness shall automatically be disqualified from entering in any other event in any other discipline until such time
as the dog is officially reinstated.
6.5.2 At his discretion, a judge shall have the authority to excuse or disqualify a dog which menaces, threatens, attempts to bite or bites the judge, another
person, or another dog in the field. When a dog is twice excused on this account, it shall have the status of a disqualified dog.
6.5.3 At his discretion, a judge shall have the authority to permanently disqualify a dog which bites the judge or another person in the field. Dogs disqualified
under this provision will not be eligible for reinstatement. The decision to permanently disqualify
a dog must be clearly indicated on the Judge’s Disqualification Form.
6.5.4 Once a dog has been disqualified for any reason at a Retriever Hunt Test, it may not be entered until the dog has been reinstated by the CKC. All awards
earned by a dog in violation of this section will be cancelled by the CKC and the owner of the dog is subject to disciplinary action. A dog disqualified
under section 6.5.3 is not eligible for reinstatement.
6.5.5 Any dog that is disqualified under section 6.5.3 shall automatically be disqualified from entering in any other CKC event in any other discipline until
such time as the dog is officially reinstated, if the dog is eligible for reinstatement.
6.5.6 Reinstatement
(a) The owner of a dog which has been disqualified at an event held under these rules may, after 30 days from the date of said disqualificiation, apply in writing to the CKC for reinstatement of the dog, unless the dog is ineligible for reinstatement as per section 6.5.3. The request for reinstatement must be accompanied by a deposit as set by the Board.

This does not help as you try to work thru this with your dog, but I would certainly have the rule book with that chapter highlighted in my back pocket at the next event!

·
Registered
835 Posts
Find a lawyer. That is straight out BS on the owners part and there is danger of even greater injury to both animals and humans. I knew a team of waterfowlers, master and dog who bragged of the carnage at launching ramps. Shame there are those in our society.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
If you report the episode to AKC they are obligated to investigate and the dog will be banned. There may also be consequences for the owner.

Copy the club secretary on your letter or email to AKC as a heads up.

Then find a good behaviorist to help fix your poor dog.

Best of luck.

Meredith

·
Registered
277 Posts
Boy that sucks, I hope you get help for your dog. When you do more hunt tests, I would suggest you carry a small can of mace if that bastard or another dog comes after your dog.

I had a buddy get his dog on a leash attacked at a public hunting parking lot years ago. He got the worse of it on his arm trying to break it up. I live in Montana where you can buy bear spray just about everywhere. I have a few small canisters that go right on your belt. I have them just for this reason.

Good luck for your buddy.

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
There is definitely help for your dog and the dog that attacked your dog. I have not made video's in a long time and probably would be like the guy on the video by not explaining what been done. Although quite easy it does take more than book learning or watching a video to fix this. If done incorrectly it will make it worse,but at lest you can see for your self that this can actually be fixed and with minimal maintenance. Hopefully you can find someone who does this kind of work. There are not many of us around at least that I know of.
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=richard+heinz+dog+on+dog+aggression

Pete

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
There is definitely help for your dog and the dog that attacked your dog. I have not made video's in a long time and probably would be like the guy on the video by not explaining what been done. Although quite easy it does take more than book learning or watching a video to fix this. If done incorrectly it will make it worse,but at lest you can see for your self that this can actually be fixed and with minimal maintenance. Hopefully you can find someone who does this kind of work. There are not many of us around at least that I know of.
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=richard+heinz+dog+on+dog+aggression

Pete
It was neat to watch a few of those videos. Great use of the bite suit!

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
As a judge, marshal and spectator I've had to break up or get involved in dog fights and aggressive behavior on several occasions. In every case there was evidence that the offending dog had a history of such behavior. The problem was that no one, up to that point, had bothered to report the animal. So the bad behavior continued. With all due respect, and hope that you can work out your pup's issues, you are partly to blame for not insisting that the attacking dog be written up and reported in the first instance. Please contact your area representative and discuss the situation. As others have noted AKC/UKC can take retroactive action. And good luck with your pup.

·
Registered
9,620 Posts
From Field Trial Rules and Standard Procedures for Retrievers. I suspect the same language exists in the rules for Hunt Tests

SECTION 12. DQ by Event Committee. Any dog, that in the opinion of the Event Committee of the American Kennel Club, attacks a person or dog at an AKC event, resulting in injury, and is believed by that Event Committee of the American Kennel Club to present a hazard to persons or other dogs shall be disqualified. When the dog is disqualified by the Event Committee pursuant to this section, a report shall be filed immediately with the Executive Secretary of the American Kennel Club. The disqualified dog may not again compete at any AKC events nor be on the grounds of an AKC event unless and until, following application for reinstatement by the owner to the American Kennel Club, the owner receives official notification in writing from the AKC that the dog’s eligibility has been reinstated.

From Chapter 14 page 18
DQ by Judges. A dog is not eligible to be entered or to compete in any licensed or member retriever field trial or hunt test if the dog has on three occasions been made the subject of the following report: If a dog, while under judgment, attacks another dog, and if the Judges are unanimously of the opinion that such attack was without reasonable cause, the Judges shall identify the offending dog on the judging sheet, and the name of the offending dog shall be listed in the report of the trial sent to The American Kennel Club.

I was surprised to read that it took three strikes, not sure when the change occurred but it used to be two. I have not had this happen when I was judging (75-80 all age stakes I think) and only once when I was a contestant and that was very early in my involvement when an FC from South
LA was honoring and attacked the running dog. This was the second such occurrence and the dog was banned for life. This is Avery serious matter and incidences of this type of aggressive behavior should always be reported to the authorities.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
I was wondering when some 'rules' were likely to be quoted from a book ' or regulation , or some sort, with a His story' attached.
Tough call for those that often say "I'm new to a game, and don't know the rules" ? YOU know ,them unwritten rules , where it appears to be ok for some , but not for others , because you don't know them as a 'new to the game'!? and god forbid , you don't want to be seen as a 'Rebel' and anyway, you just want to get in the game as a 'New to the game' , so ,when an incident occurs with a seemingly 'experienced/ or respected handler' is involved , the 'newbie' is caveated to some peer pressure, despite the written regulations/rules in a book .
That said, Common sense in general population ,with the same scenario with Fido in the local park would not be tolerated and there are laws and regulations for this that even mr or mrs average with a pet have re-dress.!... If it is any consolation to the OP, In my experience, Male dogs generally get over such confrontations easier than Female dogs , them bitches take serious confrontation to the grave. How the OP resolves their own situation depends hugely on how they go forward in similiar situations that are likely to trigger a response ,rather than seek a behaviourist firstly, but that may be required. The twat with the dog with the known history of a dog attending events and exhibiting known aggressive behaviour should be shown the red card! and perhaps rules at events should include Human activity more than Dogs .

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
From Field Trial Rules and Standard Procedures for Retrievers. I suspect the same language exists in the rules for Hunt Tests

SECTION 12. DQ by Event Committee. Any dog, that in the opinion of the Event Committee of the American Kennel Club, attacks a person or dog at an AKC event, resulting in injury, and is believed by that Event Committee of the American Kennel Club to present a hazard to persons or other dogs shall be disqualified. When the dog is disqualified by the Event Committee pursuant to this section, a report shall be filed immediately with the Executive Secretary of the American Kennel Club. The disqualified dog may not again compete at any AKC events nor be on the grounds of an AKC event unless and until, following application for reinstatement by the owner to the American Kennel Club, the owner receives official notification in writing from the AKC that the dog’s eligibility has been reinstated.

From Chapter 14 page 18
DQ by Judges. A dog is not eligible to be entered or to compete in any licensed or member retriever field trial or hunt test if the dog has on three occasions been made the subject of the following report: If a dog, while under judgment, attacks another dog, and if the Judges are unanimously of the opinion that such attack was without reasonable cause, the Judges shall identify the offending dog on the judging sheet, and the name of the offending dog shall be listed in the report of the trial sent to The American Kennel Club.

I was surprised to read that it took three strikes, not sure when the change occurred but it used to be two. I have not had this happen when I was judging (75-80 all age stakes I think) and only once when I was a contestant and that was very early in my involvement when an FC from South
LA was honoring and attacked the running dog. This was the second such occurrence and the dog was banned for life. This is Avery serious matter and incidences of this type of aggressive behavior should always be reported to the authorities.
So two ways for a dog to get banned - 1) judges can DQ a dog for attacking, or 2) the event committee writes up a dog. If the judges DQ the dog for attacking then it is 3 strikes before the dog is banned in FTs (2 in HTs), but if the committee writes up the dog it is banned after one writeup? Am I understanding the rules correctly? Either way, the dog is supposed to be written up and a report sent to the AKC. In a HT if the judges DQ a dog for attacking another dog the judges fill out a form that goes to AKC, and if there is a committee meeting then the committee writes up their report and it is sent in to AKC. I think.

·
Registered
12,134 Posts
I think you are correct Renee.
And am surprised nobody has written the dog up. The event packet even has a form for misconduct. Well it has been a few since I did that job but it used to.

·
Registered
9,620 Posts
DQ by the Event Committee
Any dog, that in the opinion of the Event Committee of the American Kennel Club, attacks a person or dog at an AKC event, resulting in injury, and is believed by that Event Committee of the American Kennel Club to present a hazard to persons or other dogs shall be disqualified. When the dog is disqualified by the Event Committee pursuant to this section.........

DQ by the judges
A dog is not eligible to be entered or to compete in any licensed or member retriever field trial or hunt test if the dog has on three occasions been made the subject of the following report: If a dog, while under judgment, attacks another dog, and if the Judges are unanimously of the opinion that such attack was without reasonable cause, the Judges shall identify the offending dog on the judging sheet, and the name of the offending dog shall be listed in the report of the trial sent to The American Kennel Club.

the Event Committee report relates to a dog attacking a person or a dog “causing injury” and does not relate to dogs under judgement and could occur anywhere at an event (presumably but not necessarily on the grounds).

DQ by the judges involves attacking another dog while under judgement, no injury or person involved, obviously one incident more serious than the other per AKC rules.

After re-reading the rules I learned of these separate and distinct passages about an aggressive dog proving once again you can teach an old dog new tricks as I am as (or more) conversant with the rules than anyone you or I know.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts