RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've searched a bit on this site but didn't see any questions/answers so I figured on posting up. My wife and I will be picking up our new pup this Saturday so we're pretty busy trying to get everything in order to be ready for him. One of my tasks is to find a vet for little guy; a CLM. The posts I've read say that you should ask vets questions in order to gauge whether you like them or not. I've never owned a dog before so I have no idea what I should be asking. What intelligent questions should I ask in order to make an educated decision?

Here's a link to pictures of the litter and our soon to be pup.
http://s18.photobucket.com/albums/b147/yoda4x4/Puppy/

David

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
I have no idea of what to ask, but given my knowledge of the subject matter just about any vet could convince me they are good. I personally went to the vet that has a retriever with a local HT pro and duck hunts, when hes not working 6 days a week. Does this make him a better vet? Probably not, but we have something to BS about while he works on the boys.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Since I have a dog that does field work, I look for a vet that has some understanding of it and not just a vet to couch potatoes. I have found a vet that is in one of the clubs I belong to and it is very nice.

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
A vet that hunts is always good. Find out if the vet has a policy of strongly advocating early spay and neuter. Some of them ask on the first exam to schedule the surgery and some blame everything on having an intact dog and do not look deeper at problems.

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
If you are getting your pup from a breeder in the area, ask them! Some clubs or groups put together vet and trainer lists for the benefit of others, so ask around. If you have access to a hunt test club or such, ask for references there. I personally have 3 vets that I feel comfortable in using for injuries (ortho). 2 of those are good at reproductive, so if my regular isn't available, I've got someone else good (though a little further away) to go to.

Also ask about hours-- do they have any weekend or after hour hours? Where will you be sent in an emergency?

·
Registered
182 Posts
One great bit of advice I was given many years ago was to look for an AAHA (American Animal Hospital Association) accredited hospital. This means that the clinic meets the highest of standards in care, facilities and business practices.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts