RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need suggestions with dog barking at honor, whining barking in holding blind, even jumped up on me yesterday while in holding blind. Holding his muzzle shut and quiet jacks him up even more. In training he is totally obedient to quiet, honors my other dog retrieving 5 foot from him etc.... At tests, all of that is out the window. Also he is leaving heel while marking triple at test to the point that he missed a bird yesterday. I swear it seems that he becomes possessed at tests, I can see it in his eyes..... He is 15 month old BLM . I am ready to scrap the dog because I am tired of fighting the beast....

Please respond by PM, I am open to all suggestions.....

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
There have been several very good threads about noise recently. Do a search and it will pop up. This is a difficult issue to correct and there are no overnight fixes. But if you follow the outline in the previous thread it will probably work. I'll try and find it and post the thread. Here is the thread. No specific to the holding blind but many of the points are on target. Hope it helps some.

http://www.retrievertraining.net/forums/showthread.php?t=73229&highlight=barking

·
Registered
303 Posts
The link Wayne posted has good information and it indirectly addresses a common problem. There are numerous threads here on RTF stating the novice trainer taught the dog how to do what he wants and then, thinking the job is done, puts the dog in a hunting/testing environment and then wonders why the dog will not obey.
I believe this happens because the trainer has failed to identify the difference between teaching and training. You teach a dog HOW to do what you want. You train him so he knows that he MUST do what you want and then you repeat until doing it correctly becomes habit.
Teaching a concept can take just a few minutes. Training takes countless repetitions of each exercise, done in different locations until the dog responds correctly in any environment and in any location with any distraction.
As for the noise issue, I believe it indicates the dog is refusing to accept your guidance/leadership.
He is protesting rather than obeying. His acceptance of your leadership is the cornerstone to all training. If you are unable to show the dog you are the pack leader then you will never be able to train that dog and quite possibly, any dog.
You should scroll down the page just a few threads and read Ted’s thread “Sit means Sit”
Then go buy a pinch collar and a good leash and go to work because the e collar is a training tool, not a teaching tool.
If you would like specific techniques described in detail just give me a call.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Tim, i hate when people say they want to give up on their dogs especially a youngster. Call me if you'd like I've fixed about 25 noisy/ crazy/sticking/ beasts/ dogs so far and it's not that hard..Randy...484 332 9781

1 - 4 of 4 Posts