RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems every day, various experts seem to find yet another reason for cancer. :(

All the same, I was wondering what materials went into commonly used plastic bumpers (some also use toys with puppies)?

Recently PVC has received world wide notoriety with its many uses.

We all know bumpers can have a distinct smell, especially when new.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carcinogen

Makes me wonder if dogs in the past suffered less from ie Hemangiosarcoma, prior to widespread plastic bumpers? Or if dogs trained mainly by pros, suffer less cancer, where birds may used more commonly? And chew toys with pups and older dogs????

Probably worrying again for nothing, but maybe food for thought???

·
Registered
8,908 Posts
Aussie said:
It seems every day, various experts seem to find yet another reason for cancer. :(

All the same, I was wondering what materials went into commonly used plastic bumpers (some also use toys with puppies)?

Recently PVC has received world wide notoriety with its many uses.

We all know bumpers can have a distinct smell, especially when new.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carcinogen

Makes me wonder if dogs in the past suffered less from ie Hemangiosarcoma, prior to widespread plastic bumpers? Or if dogs trained mainly by pros, suffer less cancer, where birds may used more commonly? And chew toys with pups and older dogs????

Probably worrying again for nothing, but maybe food for thought???
I've heard that some retrievers only live 12-15 years. Probably due to bumpers...

/Paul

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
I don't give my dog anything to play/chew on that is made from plastics. Erring on the safe cautious side.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Vinyl Chloride is a carcinogen when in the liquid form, not once it is in a solid form. I'm more concerned with the over use of pesticides than a bit of plastic my dog is retrieving.

Kris
Blacktail Labradors

Winners Never Quit. Quitters Never Win. But those who never win and never quit are Idiots.

·
Registered
258 Posts
What about plastic crates - ie - Vari-Kennels

I noticed a terrible smell in my van for a couple of weeks when the weather was quite hot last summer.
I couldn't figure out what it was.......then finally, I put my nose to the
Vari-Kennel and that was it. I guess the plastic was baking thru the
windows .....
As soon as the hot weather was over the smell was gone.

Any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Janice Gunn said:
What about plastic crates - ie - Vari-Kennels

I noticed a terrible smell in my van for a couple of weeks when the weather was quite hot last summer.
I couldn't figure out what it was.......then finally, I put my nose to the
Vari-Kennel and that was it. I guess the plastic was baking thru the
windows .....
As soon as the hot weather was over the smell was gone.

Any thoughts on this?
Not sure about the heat causing an issue with the crate itself...but now that you mention it...

...a good friend of our daugher in WI took their Lab for a swim, along with the kids. Hot day in summer, couple of years ago. Put the dog in his crate in the back of the SUV to drive home. When they got there, the poor dog had died. Rushed to the vets..could not revive the dog. Vet said to never ever put a wet dog in a crate in the heat.

·
Registered
658 Posts
My first Lab died at 14 from a hemangiosarcoma.

Never retrieved a bumper in his life.

Kathleen

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
wheelhorse said:
My first Lab died at 14 from a hemangiosarcoma.

Never retrieved a bumper in his life.

Kathleen
Any speculation to what may have contributed to the disease?

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Studies with mice show an increase in cancer. Apparently many veterinary canine oncologists agree?

PVC has been banned in many countries in toys with human neonatals and young children.

Oh well, there is always something to worry about. I need a life.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts