RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
And, I mean right now! I know this sounds so fundamental but with all the new folks on Rtf, it is worth visiting. Worked with a few rookie dawg folks over the weekend and learned there are a lot of excuses why a dog doesn't come instantly: Wabbits, good smells, Postman, cute poodles, other dogs, etc...

I remember James B Spencer addressing this in several articles of Gun Dog. I think he got tired of saying "yes, needs to come even when the dog doesn't want to" after a question was asked. Most questions were --what if he/she is on a bird? The answer was always the same.

Every time you allow a dog to blow you off, you reinforce an unwanted behavior.
Never give a command you can't enforce instantly.

Basic, yes, but it surprises me that some don't get it.

There is NOTHING more aggravating than a dog that won't come.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
There is NOTHING more aggravating than a dog that won't come.
plus it leads to the 'leap frog' game where as soon as you get within arms reach and lean over...ZOOM off again another 15 feet. It's been known to make men's blood boil. :lol:

Gave my 5 month old a little taste of reality yesterday. We've been working on 'Here' a lot from the 'Sit'. In the past week I noticed he's been wanting to head towards me and then when he gets close he just heads off to the right and keeps going about 15 feet behind me. So I let him do it again. When I said 'Here' and he kept heading past me *ZING*! Check cord yank! he stood up, looked right at me and I said "HERE" and he bolted to my side. Didn't pass me up for the rest of the day and this morning he responded with the same quickness to my side.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
The one command that can save your dog's life..."HERE"....is what I was always told.

I was also told, Do not nag your dog...If he/she doesn't come....go get them, make sure they know there is NO other option!

The second most annoying thing is the owner that keeps nagging....Here, Here, Here.

Earlene

1 - 3 of 3 Posts