RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Hey Guthrie II

8K views 68 replies 24 participants last post by  Gun_Dog2002 
#1 ·
I know you post over here more so than at the WD site.

Just wondering have you actually changed your training style to run SRS or are you just training like you would for a trial and heading there to let your chips fall.

Or if you changed your style how have you. I figured you have been throwing the rubber duckys that is a no brainer!

#27 ·
paul young said:
Ken that presupposes that someone will actually read what you post and buy into it.

believe me when i say that no matter what your opinion is, this game is here to stay as long as the organizers continue to offer it.

you've had a lot to say already.....-paul
1. Your reading it.............. :wink:

2. What makes you think I don't believe you? What makes you think I don't think the game is here to say?

3. Yes, I've had a bunch to say. What do you disagree with may I ask?

#28 ·
Ken Guthrie said:
Justin Tackett said:
At SRS Marks are about marking...not lining,

Take a direct line to the area of the fall....
Help me out here.........which one is it?
That's what I was thinking. A line direcetly to the bird is more about training than marking... IMHO

#29 ·
I've had a lot of discussion about this with Tellus because he nominated me to judge the Oregon test. I told Tellus I'm not comfortable judging a game I haven't ran a bunch of dogs in, and for me getting my head wrapped around the game of handling on marks in particular was a bit foreign to me. At the end of the day this is a game and like every game there is strategy involved.

/Paul

#30 ·
Gun_Dog2002 said:
I've had a lot of discussion about this with Tellus because he nominated me to judge the Oregon test. I told Tellus I'm not comfortable judging a game I haven't ran a bunch of dogs in, and for me getting my head wrapped around the game of handling on marks in particular was a bit foreign to me. At the end of the day this is a game and like every game there is strategy involved.

/Paul
But is the strategy it takes to win this game breaking down your training to compete in other games?

#31 ·
maxx said:
But is the strategy it takes to win this game breaking down your training to compete in other games?
Guess it depends on the trainer/owners goals for the dog. We all know its hard to focus on 2 games at once, even between HT and FT's where essentially their fairly close in many regards.

/Paul

#32 ·
Good question Maxx. I feel it depends on the dog and probably more so on the age of the dog. This will be my third SRS sandwiched around 8 straight master passes. Finished a master pass on Sunday, ran on Wed-Thurs at the SRS(didn't make the Semi's), trained three or four days and passed a double-header the next weekend. Didn't seem to affect her much. But at Dyersburg, you saw some of the top 25 dogs pop which leans to your line of thought.

#33 ·
ACEBLDRS said:
Do they use the same throughout? Do these judges also judge run FT's?
The same judges are not used throughout the entire series, although some will make most of them. All of the judges are licensed judges in their chosen venues. Some run and judge FT's, some run and judge HT's, and some do both.

#34 ·
1. oh, i read it....but that doesn't mean i bought what you were selling. :lol:

2. that you seem to think having you and Dozer compete makes it "legit" as a dog testing venue...and that , if you post that it is not, after running it, a bunch of folks won't run or will stop running it.

3. mostly the whining. most recently, about your seed position.

best of luck to your dog!-paul

#35 ·
Gun_Dog2002 said:
maxx said:
Guess it depends on the trainer/owners goals for the dog. We all know its hard to focus on 2 games at once, even between HT and FT's where essentially their fairly close in many regards.

/Paul
The thing with SRS is that you have to have a certain level/title of dog before you can compete. So one really cant just focus on it. Not at first anyway. You have to be good at a differenet venue before you can compete.

If I was to buy a pup tomorrow with the sole purpose of being an SRS dog would that train how you raise/train this dog? Would be looking for different characteristics than an FT or HT dog.

For the record I really like the SRS I would love to someday run something like this but I am not much of a trainer, I do play one on the internet though.

#36 ·
maxx said:
If I was to buy a pup tomorrow with the sole purpose of being an SRS dog would that train how you raise/train this dog?

Would be looking for different characteristics than an FT or HT dog.

I am not much of a trainer, I do play one on the internet though.
1. I would raise/train it to the highest possible standard, as a FT dog.

2. No.

3. Me either

#37 ·
Maxx-for most folks, I would think of it like your first encounter with the opposite sex. If it goes well you can't wait to go back for more. If it's not as smooth, that desire still needs to be satisified.

#38 ·
Ken Guthrie said:
Tackett,

You ought to be thanking me for all this attention I've brought to your game. :wink:

We're playing right into your hands ain't we.........

Bad news for you though, I can get on here after the SRS too. :lol:
Ken,

Once again you have put way to much significance on yourself. I have had much better dog men than you'll even be tell me the game sucks...please don't think anyone is sweating your opinion one way or the other.

We are all little tiny wheels in a little tiny game....the game will be just fine regardless of what happens to you...or me.

Thanks,

JT

#39 ·
MIDTNGRNHEAD said:
Maxx-for most folks, I would think of it like your first encoounter with the opposite sex. If it goes well you can't wait to go back for more. If it's not as smooth, that desire still needs to be satisified.
Bwahahaha...that's great!

#40 ·
Dman said:
MIDTNGRNHEAD said:
Maxx-for most folks, I would think of it like your first encoounter with the opposite sex. If it goes well you can't wait to go back for more. If it's not as smooth, that desire still needs to be satisified.
Bwahahaha...that's great!
What is so funny Dman, I figured you were still waiting for your first encounter!

#41 ·
Justin Tackett said:
Ken,

Once again you have put way to much significance on yourself. I have had much better dog men than you'll even be tell me the game sucks...please don't think anyone is sweating your opinion one way or the other.

We are all little tiny wheels in a little tiny game....the game will be just fine regardless of what happens to you...or me.

Thanks,

JT
This should be good. Guess JT and I are now honorary members of the GutMan Fan Club.

/Paul

#42 ·
Justin Tackett said:
Ken Guthrie said:
Tackett,

You ought to be thanking me for all this attention I've brought to your game. :wink:

Ken,

Thanks,

JT
It's obvious you need to take a minute to meet me this weekend and really find out who I am.

I don't know what brought on a post like this but obviously you were offended.

I think after this weekend you will realize I joke more than I'm serious.

Sorry you were offended but there was no intent under the essence of your reply.

By the way, are you sure I'm the one that needs to chill? :lol:

#43 ·
paul young said:
1. oh, i read it....but that doesn't mean i bought what you were selling. :lol:

2. that you seem to think having you and Dozer compete makes it "legit" as a dog testing venue...and that , if you post that it is not, after running it, a bunch of folks won't run or will stop running it.

3. mostly the whining. most recently, about your seed position.

best of luck to your dog!-paul
1. I didn't ask you to buy into anything.

2. I don't know what makes you think that I'm bringing something special to anything...........I've said it to many FT folks and friends the same............I've got an average dog that loves to retrieve. So to suggest that I'm saying I'm making this event legit is crazy. The fact that I paid an entry fee to an event I know nothing about should tell you how open minded I am about something.

3. Whining??????? About seed position????????????
You really have misread my posts I think.

Bottom line...............I don't know where this stuff comes from, but this all started with me saying I'd kick Farmers but with my ole' duck dog. Then I couldn't go to NC so I decided to "walk the walk" by entering Hot Springs. I never ONCE, I repeat, I never said I was bringing some great dog to kick but and take names..................

You folks are the ones who have made up some fantasy story from bits and pieces of my posts.

Believe what you want, I don't give a damn. I'll show up, run my dog. Whether we win or lose, I still have my duck dog and a companion. And folks will have their comments. I'm sure some hope we fall on our face, and some hope we win. But to tell you the truth, I don't care either way.

Because I get to meet a superstar out of all of this...............

My hero.............JT. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

And I'm bringing my autograph book hoping to get a few Team Waterdog members to sign it. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

#48 ·
Gun_Dog2002 said:
Ken Guthrie said:
And this mine fine flatulent friend is why I love our exchanges of comical nature.

/Paul
Vicky Trainor said:
/Paul & Ken,

Please take any further discussion to PMs.

Thanks,
Vicky

#50 ·
Ken Guthrie said:
Justin Tackett said:
Ken Guthrie said:
Tackett,

Ken,

Thanks,

JT
It's obvious you need to take a minute to meet me this weekend and really find out who I am.

I don't know what brought on a post like this but obviously you were offended.

Sorry you were offended but there was no intent under the essence of your reply.

By the way, are you sure I'm the one that needs to chill? :lol:

Ken,

I'd like very much to meet you and here more about you. I'm sure there are 3 or more things you have accomplished that you haven't shared with us. Hopefully, you can hang around for a few series to tell me all about more about yourself.

JT

#51 ·
Justin Tackett said:
Ken,

I'd like very much to meet you and here more about you. I'm sure there are 3 or more things you have accomplished that you haven't shared with us. Hopefully, you can hang around for a few series to tell me all about more about yourself.

JT
JT, don't get too confused, it's all about the dogs. Course you have to hear all about Ken before you get to hear all about the dogs...

/Paul

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.