RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone.
After lurking for a bit, and needing some help... it's time to say Hi!

My name is Les Block, 47 years young! Got me my first gundog here in Ontario, Canada.
Coda, YLF...or as I like to say, "my little fire breathing dragon"

We're on a journey and it has been smashing so far! We completed our JH CKC title, and WC.
Ran a few SH tests, and have gotten into a snag. Line manners and noise seem to have erroneously crept in, and this first timer is outta ideas.

Will be looking for posts, and any kind help I might be able to find.
Cheers all, enjoy your day, and love a dog.

Les, Coda.

· Registered
12 Posts
Hi everyone.
After lurking for a bit, and needing some help... it's time to say Hi!

My name is Les Block, 47 years young! Got me my first gundog here in Ontario, Canada.
Coda, YLF...or as I like to say, "my little fire breathing dragon"

We're on a journey and it has been smashing so far! We completed our JH CKC title, and WC.
Ran a few SH tests, and have gotten into a snag. Line manners and noise seem to have erroneously crept in, and this first timer is outta ideas.

Will be looking for posts, and any kind help I might be able to find.
Cheers all, enjoy your day, and love a dog.

Les, Coda.
Les,

I dealt with this same issue to the point I went through the Animal Behavioral College because nothing I was doing was working. Same thing though, my BLM was killing it as a pup and walked through the JRs 4 straight. Then the whining and noise started as we began the transition to SRs. And unfortunately the more noise he made the more pressure I used. I also began training with a noted local pro and realized putting pressure on the dawg was not the answer. Most everyone that has been around for some time has made this mistake at least once.
The key is take the pressure off the dawg and keep it calmed down.. Once we can train their mind the rest will work much better, if we don't monitor their stress/anxiety it will begin to manifest in unwanted behaviors like noise.
What we did is went back to basic training and firmed up sit, here, back, walk perfectly at heel.
Then sit in the create in the truck, do not come out until you are asked, sit on the tailgate, walk down the ladder to heel off the gate, walk at heel to the first hide and sit 5 - 10 minutes, then the second hide, wait calmly and then to the line.
At the line do not use any calls or guns, simply walk Coda up, when he is settled in and calm have a buddy use a simply "hey hey" and toss a White bumper from a bout 30 - 40 yards. When Coda comes back good praise and back to the truck to do it again in about 20 - 30 minutes. We want to train the behavior from the truck to being released.
What was broken for me and probably you is I didn't have the ability or understanding of how to train and monitor the dawgs anxiety, so as he amped up I became anxious and even angry because he wouldn't stop the noise. All of which made it worse......
Today in my training as always we start with "Finishing" the obedience and have getting a retrieve as the reward.
My young dawgs early basic training includes getting in and out of the truck, to the hide, to the line and then getting a simple retrieve. Any misbehavior I bring the dawg back to the truck and start over, the retrieve is the reward and if they want it they have to comply....
Lastly I know the anxiety this creates in a handler, and everything we feel they feel.. So YOU have to learn to Relax and Enjoy the Journey, If possible work with a local Pro to truly understand what Pressure is and how it will effect the Dawg...
I have been doing this since the mid 80s and Judging since the early 90s and wish I knew this earlier and I truly wish there was time at various Tests that I could take a Handler aside and have them Relax and learn to Enjoy the Journey and keep the anxiety/stress to a minimum...
In a nutshell, Calm Down and the dawg will begin to trust you and play off you.
Train the dawg to calm down from the truck to the line...
The only way it gets to retrieve is if he is compliant.

I could write about this all day because of all the mistakes I have made and I have seen!!!
If you want send me a note here and I would be happy to discuss with you..

Good Luck!!!!
God Bless!!!!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts