RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
61 - 67 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Yes, good information, and I am glad to find out that there is MORE information in Dennis Voigt's 'Training Retrievers Alone' guide than on the DVD. I just pulled my back out since I train my own guys and primarily train alone. GOOD STUFF in there!

Also, Bill Hillmann's training philosophies and techniques have helped tremendously in getting my high rolling, sometimes vocal, males through a few field trials. I can now actually run the wild boys in a few HRC hunt tests too!! Something that would have never happened without his program.....

·
Registered
2 Posts
10 years since this thread is the Hillman/Lardy combo still a top choice?
when we trained our first pup 10 years ago we joined the local HRC club for some mentoring as well as getting Lardy’s articles. We suimented with some YouTube videos and some of Evan’s videos were helpful. We were happy with what we achieved.
A decade later we live in a digital world and I see a few online programs out there. Cornerstone Gundog Academy has my attention but I am leaning towards using what this thread suggests: Hillman/Lardy. This thread was partly about the advancements Hillman had made. A decade later the material on their website looks pretty much the same. Are there new and better techniques and programs?
Thanks,
Joe

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Goodness, another one from the past.

There are names in there of valued members who no longer post and one who is no longer with us, so that's a bit sobering. I didn't realise Evan hadn't posted since 2019, I seem to recall he wanted to concentrate on religious work; hope he's OK.

Cornerstone do a lot of initial puppy work with clicker so that's moved a long way from what might be called the "established" style. Not sure about the reinforcement afterwards As per the video below .... nice to see one of Barton's dogs in the frame.

Strawski Smawski, not my favourite series, but has the benefit of not costing a lot. I didn't find his monotone too off putting, but man the nagging ......

61 - 67 of 67 Posts