RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Impressive.

After the 3rd or 4th 'Over' that didn't work I think I would have called him/her in and started again.

Of course I'm not Bill H :D

Nicely done for sure. She treaded water for a good 45 seconds before finally taking the 'Over' to the bumper. Spent just over a minute actually swimming.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvC_RXubS3o

My question;
When doing Water Work, what is a safe time to stay under before an average Lab starts to get exhausted to the point of being in danger of drowning? I know there is a lot of variables to work with here I'll take your best guess. Will they obey commands until they sink? Seems like that's the way they are taught right?

/

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
My question;
When doing Water Work, what is a safe time to stay under before an average Lab starts to get exhausted to the point of being in danger of drowning? I know there is a lot of variables to work with here I'll take your best guess. Will they obey commands until they sink? Seems like that's the way they are taught right?

/

Anyone...? :cool:

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
Anyone...? :cool:
Not sure Dustin what you mean by that statement. If I was teaching the swim by, then I would certainly not overdo the teach part in one day. Teach him to do the back to the pile. Then teach him to stop on the whistle and tread water, not making tread an overly long time and then cast back. And so on until the swim by is taught fairly. I give my guys ample time to learn. There is no hurray. And I would move on to something else like throwing marks for the rest of the time on land or in water given them a rest from the swim by.IMO

·
Registered
7,259 Posts
I didn't see anything wrong with the sequence.

I don't know if there is a specific exhaustion time but that wasn't it. It depends on lots of factors. Look at some of the FT swims on blinds.

I wouldn't have called him back in on the slow response to the right over. I might have helped him by throwing another bumper but not called back in.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Some folks condition there dog in hot weather buy having them swim behind a row boat for 45 mins.

·
Registered
8,615 Posts
Dustin, though it has nothing to do with training labs, I once watched a cocker spaniel swim laps around a farm pond for over an hour. She was not even chasing anything, just swimming! I figure if a little house pet like her could handle it, not too much is likely to sink one of our water dogs!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts