RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm on Day 20 in Hillmann's Pup Starter DVD. My pup is 5 months old.
He is teething HEAVILY! I mean he's got three pre-molars gone on just the left side and one of his K9's looks broke in half? Every bumper he brings back has blood on it and he is really not wanting to grab it in the middle.

He goes hard for each bumper thrown, faster than he has in the past few weeks actually. When he gets to it, he leans down like usual to bite it right in the middle, but only gets it a foot off the ground before he drops it. Then he picks it up on its end with his front teeth, (that I believe have already fallen out and are his adult teeth) and brings it back that way.

To me, it looks like he wants to pick it up, but when he does, he realizes that it doesn't feel very good, so he drops it and picks it up with the front teeth that do not hurt.

So I was wondering, being that Hillmann's program runs right through the teething period of most all Retrievers, how do other Hillmanites deal with this situation?

How long does normal teething last? I don't want him to get in the habit of these loose mouth retrieves so I was thinking I should just take a break? Right?

Also does teething cause runny stools like in children?
I ask b/c my pup has never eaten anything but dog food and pork femur's to chew on. No other food. But for the past day and a half I'd say, he has had straight runny stool. So much so that it scares the poor guy when it happens and he turns around like 'What the HECK WAS THAT!?"

/

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Dustin,

I picked up a couple of these Dokken Super Dummies. They are a really lightweight spungie foam material. My pup did not seem to have a problem retrieving these. Not sure if the loose stool is from teething but maybe the pup got into something outside. Just try some rice or pumpkin with his food.....also a vet check just to be safe. Hope this helps.

http://www.google.com/products/cata...T4SEBYjN0AHr9eXUDA&ved=0CHIQ8wIwBA#ps-sellers

Good luck,

Chris

·
Registered
9,411 Posts
I used very soft foam , terry towl ,or soft canvas bumpers. Puppy size also.

Forget the hard regular sized knobbys for now.

I also cut back the amount of retrieves during this time. Just a couple of excitement bumpers, then back to traffic cop and obedience.

SHORT,,, FUN ,,,,SESSIONS!!!

Gooser

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
In one of his other DVDs Hillmann says that he doesn't let teething disrupt his training. He uses another object like a tennis ball or a soft toy -- anything that the pup can comfortably hold.

Jim

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry for not adding this. I'm using Canvas Puppy bumpers already. White/Orange.

I might switch back to the paint roller and a Hartz Fuzzy Duck and see if that works.

I thought he might be fooling me but seeing him bite the middle and then pull up and drop it and go right back for it but grabbing it on the end where the rope is has me convinced he's really just feeling the pain of not having teeth there on one side. lol

·
Registered
5,814 Posts
dustin,
if you utilized the "kong bumper" that hillman uses early, go back to it. kong bumper has the tennis ball texture and can be thrown farther than the paint roller. i don't know the fuzzy duck it may be the thing?
jmc

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Those look like the same ones, except Dogsafield doesn't seem to have black and white.

Well I just need White & Orange for now.(next couple weeks until teething is over).

I've got about a Dozen Avery Apex bumpers of all colors so I'll be good once past this scenario.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well today I noticed instead of empty holes these popped up!

I've ordered the Dokken Super Dummies anyway. One Orange, One White. Hopefully he'll do fine with them for the next couple weeks.

/

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well you guys were defintely RIGHT! on the Dokken Super Foam bumpers.

Got them in yesterday and did Day 22 of Hillmann.

He drove hard to the bumpers like usual, gave a smell, then bit it right in the middle and headed back to me. Never spit it out. I think he likes them but they sure didn't hurt his gums any.

Also I ended up getting some Paste from the Vet to help his liquid stools. Gave it to him every 8 hours while putting him on just chicken and brown rice. After about 3 doses he had his first solid/firm stool and pretty much celebrated like a little kid :lol:

I feed TSC 4Health Puppy(NOT Adult and probably will not) and have done so since he was 7 weeks old. My state is not part of the Diamond Recall so I've ruled that out.

His stools have been firm/good since Sunday Morning and he's been on just dog food since then. Still unsure what may have caused his issue there but it seems to be normal, in fact better than before.

Thanks folks!

/

1 - 16 of 16 Posts