RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who has watched it?

Thoughts?

I did a quick search online and really couldn't find much detail on it. Is it just a dvd on steadiness or what? Just an extension on what he does with the pups in Training a Retriever Puppy? Is it ideas on throwing marks for training alone?

Someone give me some details. Curious minds want to know.

I saw one for sale in the classifieds...that's why i asked. If this has been talked about before, i'm sorry...guess i should use the search function.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Who has watched it?

Thoughts?

I did a quick search online and really couldn't find much detail on it. Is it just a dvd on steadiness or what? Just an extension on what he does with the pups in Training a Retriever Puppy? Is it ideas on throwing marks for training alone?

Someone give me some details. Curious minds want to know.

I saw one for sale in the classifieds...that's why i asked. If this has been talked about before, i'm sorry...guess i should use the search function.
I have it and have found it very valuable.

My oldest dog has always been rock steady, so I may not have appreciated it when I was training her. I certainly didn't need it with her.

However, our next two dogs could not sit still when things started happening in the field. Because of them, we got Traffic Cop to expand upon what we learned about TC in the Puppy DVD. I've been working real hard this winter and seeing results. Still more work to do. Would have been much easier and quicker had I known this technique before these dogs were four years old. We were not solving the problem with stick pressure, collar pressure, denied retrieves, and obedience, obedience, more obedience.

Our two youngest received TC training starting at about 14 months old, and now (22 months old) sit motionless when marks are going down. It was much easier with them.

So, if your dog does not sit motionless, you may want to learn all you can about this technique. It isn't magic. It takes work, repetition and enough discipline to replace old habits with new habits. The TC DVD is a thorough blueprint for the job.

Here are the key headings from my notes taken studying the DVD:
  • Pre-requisites to doing Traffic Cop (TC) technique.
  • Objective: a dog that will sit motionless, enabling both handler and dog to concentrate 100% on what is happening in the field
  • Beginning TC w/o collar
  • Collar Conditioning
  • TC with collar
    • teaching sit with distractions
    • reinforce sit
    • increasing distractions
    • anticipation
    • use of rope
    • retrieving
    • when to go to next step
    • dynamics of session
  • The three levels of TC
  • TC with an Adult Dog
  • TC with a Puppy
  • How TC facilitates Hillmann's Fetch Command technique
Jim

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
This is what I wrote on an earlier thread. DVD well worth the money!!

So first thing Hillman says is there are 3 things you want your pup to do: 1. chase something, 2.walk on a line and he does not mean heeling perfectly 3. teach him to sit. As I said he wants to pup to develop desire. Hillman stresses patience, kindness and understanding. There is plenty of obedience in each session. Usually he did these sessions with the pup in the morning when the pup was ready to go and only once a day. He says it is important the pup learns to become a family member rest of the day. The sessions are not stressful to the dog. Stresses you should be persistent with the command "sit". There were 28 days of training as I remember. The pup is taught sit, and while the pup is sitting and as the pup progresses you start to walk around the pup (maintaining sit) and walk further away from the pup and he becomes more steady. I practiced this with my pup and it works well, but you have to be persistent and consistent. Alot of praise goes with each session. He introduces pup to water, water marks, heeling both sides, practice sit with a bumper, introduced the pup to a clipped wing, and teaches you his term traffic cop where he keeps the pup from retrieving then gives the okay to retrieve, starts on Day 10 "hold" , does baby doubles, Day 21 Force Fetch with E collar on low (Ecollar has been on well before this), uses a bird boy to throw and shoot. I used the traffic cop but learned this from Voigt's DVD where he teaches stand alones while you go out and throw. Hillman comes back into his dog, praises him for a good job and then go back out (trafic cop) and sends him. Whole idea to teach steadiness. Works well!
Excellent DVD and I am not going to tell you much more, but it is worthwhile viewing. And this is my translation of what I viewed. Like I said I am going to get the DVD to add to my library. Praise is a big part of the teaching! Good luck

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
Thank you, T-Pines. I was wondering the same thing as the OP. I am also wondering about Hillman's soft-collar method DVD.

Mary Lynn, are your comments about Traffic Cop or Training a Retriever Puppy?

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
Thank you, T-Pines. I was wondering the same thing as the OP. I am also wondering about Hillman's soft-collar method DVD.

Mary Lynn, are your comments about Traffic Cop or Training a Retriever Puppy?
Training a Retriever Pup where he intro traffic cop idea.:)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts