RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

I am feeding Hill science diet puppy but not sure if I am feeding enough. I got him at 6 weeks, he is now 8 weeks. I have been feeding 3 cups (their cup comes in the bag) 3 times a day since 6 weeks old. This is the recommended amount to 20 lbs.
His weights:
1. 6 weeks weight = 9.8 lbs.
2. 8 weeks weight = 15.8 lbs.

This puppie's ribs do show & as well as actually his "posterior superior iliac spines" <- these are the hip bones on top, not the seat bones under his tail.

He is always hungry, seems more than normal. Energy is good, Stools are fine. The vet said to keep him on the ribby side, & I am following the instructions on food amounts on the bag, but he is definitely skinny. Just wondering if I should feed more, most of your puppies in your avatars look like little "chunky monkeys" :) compared to mine.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
7,472 Posts
The recommendations on the bag are just that. My SD puppy bag says at 10 lbs 1 3/4 cups and 3 cups at 20 lbs. So, at 15 lbs I would be at half way between 1 3/4 and 3 or 2 1/2. But these are just guides. Adjust according to how your dog looks.

I would follow your vets advice. My puppy at 10 wks just weighs 10 lbs. He is a little guy and I hope stays small as an adult. His dam is only 64 lbs. The other puppies in the litter are about the same size.

Make sure you switch to SD large breed puppy as soon as he can handle the larger kibble but no later thant six months. Overweight dogs can develop joint issues. I suspect that is what your vet was referring too. The large breed puppy food slows the growth so that the joints can develop properly.

Which food is almost as bad as asking whether to use an ecollar or not. There are lots of opinions.

Some people don't like SD but I have been feeding for years and years with good luck.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both for your replies!

Breck, I've downloaded the pdf & read it this afternoon, thanks for sharing, its very interesting reading :)

·
Registered
409 Posts
I would be feeding a much higher quality brand of food with more meat protein and less grains. I doesn't have to be a puppy food if it's at least 24% protein and 14% fat. That is an excellent percentage for a growing pup. I would look into CANIDAE - http://www.canidae.com

1 - 6 of 6 Posts