RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Would like to have a beginning to now discussion of who introduced the first one, when, biggest innovations, and what companies came in when?? I really do not know.

·
Registered
86 Posts
As I recall, two Arizona brothers who hunted cougars, first used e-collars as trash breakers. When I trained with Cal Barry in the early 60's, he had been one of, if not the first, retriever trainer to use the e-collar.

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
Wasn't Rex Carr's use of it with Super Chief a big impetus in popularizing the e-collar?

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
As I recall, two Arizona brothers who hunted cougars, first used e-collars as trash breakers. When I trained with Cal Barry in the early 60's, he had been one of, if not the first, retriever trainer to use the e-collar.
Doug...it went back way before Cal....remember Johnny Wilson....from around Deleware Oh. He used a platform with a coil out of a model T rigged up.

·
Registered
261 Posts
The pro we use here in Canada has notes on discussions he had with Rex Carr on the development of collars. He tells some pretty funny stories about how he got interested in collar development.He is now in his eighties and we keep asking why he didn't write a book like everyone else. His answer was that by the time he finished the last page he would have thought of better ways he could have done it. His wife once told us that he would get up in the middle of the night to write down his ideas. I really would like to have access to his notes they go back for years. He still tests collars for tri-tronics.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Hi Ebenezer, the pro you refer to is that Bill L. If so, and I think it is, I got to know him pretty good back when he had Remi. Met you there training if you recall. If I've got this right next time you see him tell him Doug says hi.

·
Registered
4,790 Posts
lets not forget the awesome oversized units made for horses.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Who made the collar that the antennae was a wire woven in the strap for the collar? I think it was Tri-Tronics but I can't remember, used to use one a number of years ago.

·
Registered
278 Posts
D.T. Systems,
Purpose being it is not interfered with by ground contours or cover.
Does not require "line of site".

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Who made the collar that the antennae was a wire woven in the strap for the collar? I think it was Tri-Tronics but I can't remember, used to use one a number of years ago.
That was my very first collar...a RadarTron, made by what is now DT Systems. It had interchangeable plugs too, and a long, extendable metal antenna on the transmitter.

·
Registered
9,700 Posts
Tri Tronics, I bought one in 1971 on the installment plan, $299 dollars up front or $29/month, I chose the latter option, as a young employed veterinarian I was earning $750/month. It was called a 70 and it had one level and it packed a wallop, some were hotter than others, poor dogs!

·
Registered
53 Posts
back in the mid 70s I bought a t-t collar it was an-1-80 avoidance - when you burned the dog it emitted a beep or no burn just a beep it was very effective - if used with care - yes there were wires woven in the collar
I think it cost about 450- 500 $

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
View attachment 16132

A-70, my first collar--still works!
Can`t believe none of the oldtimers here remember the hot platform made out of model t coil?That was the first electric trainining aid I remember.Got one hid over at moms somewhere?I think Rex took it to the next level with a collar.This woulda been in mid sixties.I really don`t know who`s idea it was but a pro Johnny Wilson used it.
Junbe....looks like you had a "lip clip" attached to that collar at one time?I`m guessing not to many know how to even rig that up? Jim

·
Registered
577 Posts
A few years back I interviewed Joe DeLoia. Joe was a well-known pro in the Duluth MN area. He was in the Canine Core during the War and became a professional dog trainer in the 1946-47 time frame. Joe did mention that he used an automobile coil to develop an electric collar. From what I gather from his discussion, he used it mainly for line manners. He did mention that he was the first retriever trainer to use electricity. It's interesting that he made most of his money by training young dogs and when some pros from out east would come to the Duluth trail, they would buy some of his dogs for their clients. His most famous dog that he trained and sold was NFC Massy's Sassy Boots.

·
Registered
5,248 Posts
Rex said his first one was a leather collar with a switch-box similar to this...

...that used a motorcycle coil for 'power', and was operated by a model airplane remote control for a transmitter. A bit cumbersome, but you've got to start somewhere!

OUCH! No wonder he learned to nick!

But he was also the driving force for variability at the transmitter. The "70" he had modified had 3 buttons for "low", "medium", and "high". I saw him use it while there. That summer TT began production of the first mass produced variable at the transmitter e-collar; the 100-A. Before summer ended we all had one.

Evan

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Most of the old stuff , lip clips (alligator clips) four prong collars , Sensitronics (garage door opener goes off so does collar) power cords (long wire attached to handle end of cattle prod) , old "Gold" broke my share of attenas hitting dog, etc should have gone the way of rat shot, nos 8's, lead quirts, various whips, hanging, pliers, power winching, etc. in mans inhumanity to dogs. Thanks goodness for the Tri-Tronics company and even to Rex Carr. Shoot, boot electrocute. don't even want to think about that stuff anymore , part of history that should be forgotten!

·
Registered
5,248 Posts
...part of history that should be forgotten!
I know how you feel Earl. But I think it needs to be remembered and learned from. As unpleasant as it is to look in the eye, it is our history, and is what brought us to this point.

Evan

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I know how you feel Earl. But I think it needs to be remembered and learned from. As unpleasant as it is to look in the eye, it is our history, and is what brought us to this point.

Evan
I suppose, but , have been a participant to many of those "training" methods. Just saying I remember and choose to forget. Kinda like my early days as a cop (pre-Miranda) I choose to forget. Of course one can say you learn from the past to go forward in the future. It is part of retriever training history. IF I had to train to those methods today, would take up golf! Just my two cents Evan you are part of the solution and should be thanked with all the other contemporary Pros.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts