RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
back in the mid 70s I bought a t-t collar it was an-1-80 avoidance - when you burned the dog it emitted a beep or no burn just a beep it was very effective - if used with care - yes there were wires woven in the collar
I think it cost about 450- 500 $
That was my first E-collar as well with an antenna you pulled out from the transmitter that was almost as tall as me. If you really want to get "down in the weeds" here's a reference

http://www.freewebs.com/historyecollars/historyofecollars.htm

·
Registered
927 Posts
Ya, the good old days. I remember when dad got his first e-collar. Seems to me it was in the late 1960's. I know on "High" the only setting we ever used, it would knock a dog right off it's feet. Saved on shot shells too. Don't rememeber much about it but I bet he still has it laying around. I'll have to look next time I get back to Minnesota.

·
Registered
5,248 Posts
“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” ~ George Santayana

I don't think any of us whats that repeated.

Evan

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #24

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
That was my first E-collar as well with an antenna you pulled out from the transmitter that was almost as tall as me. If you really want to get "down in the weeds" here's a reference

http://www.freewebs.com/historyecollars/historyofecollars.htm
That has to be one of the best resources I have read yet, I believe the company he refers too ( before it split into Dogtra and DT. Systems) was called Dog Radatron. sililar to this model.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41r0CDPTpDL.jpg

·
Registered
49 Posts
Rex used to tell stories of having airplanes go over and something with their communications gear would set off the early collars sending the dogs ki-yi'ing over hill and dale. Sal Cursi who started training with Rex when Rex still trained pointers (per Sal anyway) confirmed the stories. Thank god for the new variable collars, they are much more effective and easier on the dogs, though Rex did have 2 additional studs added to his Tri-Tronics collars for a few of his tougher dogs. I also remember the early experiments with a sound button... in those days, Rex tested it at CL2 and from time to time the dogs went through cattails and the long leaves would catch in between the collar and the box and squeak like the collar. It took a few times to figure out why dogs were popping in the cattails.

·
Registered
807 Posts
not strictly e- collar related but I remember back in the 50s when I was young we had a local vet that we could go in and watch him do things. any way I was in there one day and he had a dog that he said was being trained I think for field tests. I asked how he knew and he showed me several pieces of shot that he took out of the dog, he said that if the dog didn't do what it was supposed to he dusted his ass with small bird shot. I thought it was the meanest things to do. but I sort of forgot about it now when people say how mean a e- collar is I think back to shooting the dog.

·
Registered
145 Posts
View attachment 16132

A-70, my first collar--still works!
This sucker right here....... Will shock the PI$$ out of you. Especially if you had ahold of the dogs collar when it "went off" !!! Don't ask me how I know !!! I remember seeing the contact plug (activation plug) hard wired to reduce resistance !

Used it mostly for de-snaking... never saw a dog that wanted a piece of that rattlesnake after that treatment... what that collar was good for... teaching a dog to NEVER EVER do that again ! LOL Oh and you best stay the hell away from that dog for minute after you "hit him" cause he might just go right up your arm !!!

Flood of memories just seeing that thing...LOL

·
Registered
6,047 Posts
criquetpas- you nailed it. I tell any newbie w/an e-collar strap it on their calf , give me the control and let me run it through the ranges so YOU understand what you are doing to the dog ! Only two in over 25 years of offering. Occasionally , to check my TT 200XL and TT 500XL I strap it on my own calf.

·
Registered
7,630 Posts
Most of the old stuff , lip clips (alligator clips) four prong collars , Sensitronics (garage door opener goes off so does collar) power cords (long wire attached to handle end of cattle prod) , old "Gold" broke my share of attenas hitting dog, etc should have gone the way of rat shot, nos 8's, lead quirts, various whips, hanging, pliers, power winching, etc. in mans inhumanity to dogs. Thanks goodness for the Tri-Tronics company and even to Rex Carr. Shoot, boot electrocute. don't even want to think about that stuff anymore , part of history that should be forgotten!
You forgot hotshots and prods...

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
these guys are really getting smart about the way they advertise. LMAO.. What country is that flag from?

21 - 34 of 34 Posts