RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got home a while ago and it appears that the knucklehead has hives!!! He's been in the house all day, but that doesn't mean that he couldn't have encountered something this morn before I left, or even for that matter, in the house. We have the occasional uninvited guest (bee, wasp, ant). He's about 75lbs and I gave him two 25mg benadryl. He doesn't seem to be having any respiratory problems at the moment, but I was wondering if epipens are useable in dogs if he were to get worse.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
I don't know about epis but the Benedryl has always worked for me. I may give up to 3 of the 25mgs and as often as 4 hrs apart depending on the case. Lots of spiders, etc, here.....
My vet told me that dogs metabolize the benedryl quite quickly.

·
Registered
259 Posts
use the benedryl gel caps,poke a hole in the end and squeeze into back of mouth works faster. i am an epipen carrier and was told I could use it if my dog went into anaphylactic shock from a snake bite,but check it out with your vet.
it might be way to strong for your hives problem.

·
Registered
6,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies, dog still looked a little lumpy last night so gave him three more benedryl and haven't really looked at him this morn yet. If he is still lumpy today, will probably take him in to the vet. Called the vet yesterday and he also said that benedryl was the treatment and that if we ever ran into anaphylaxis that the epipen would be OK for the dog too. I carry epipen when out in the wild, not so much because I am allergic to stuff (have been stung by wasps and bees on a number of occasions with no serious repercussions) but because I sometimes tale folks out to do nature photography and you never know what you may run across out there. Many people have never been stung so have no idea how they will react.

·
Registered
7,781 Posts
It is not unusual to have to continue the benadryl for a few days. I'm sure if you call your vet he will agree

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
i'm an epipen carrier as well and was told it's a last ditch effort and better get my butt to the hospital after using because it'll only give me 15 minutes of effects. not sure I'd use it on the dog unless I was already on my way to the vet with him. use 1mg of benadryl for every 1lb of dog weight, and continue every 4 hours. that's what I did once and the swelling on my dogs face went down.

·
Registered
6,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies everyone. After several courses of Benadryl, Lumpy Dog is back to his old, sleek self. Just wish I knew what caused it. Face never showed any signs of swelling so probably not an insect bite in the face anyway.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts