I move on to the ear pinch after finishing advanced Hold with the dog which would include;
1. Heeling with bumper/bird/dowel.
2. Jumping up and down off of the training table with bumper/bird/dowel.
3. Being able to tap on both sides of the bumper/bird/dowel and for the dog to understand they need to retain their hold on the object until the drop command is given.
4. Pulling on one side of the bumper/bird/dowel and making sure the dog holds the object until the drop command is given.
5. Preferably having the dog return from every mark and fun bumper and come to heel holding the bumper/bird/dowel until you take the object with the drop command. However I have had client’s dogs that have had such a long period of time with certain bad habits that I have had to move on to the ear pinch before this step was 100%.
These are some of the steps I go through to ensure the dog completely understands the Hold command before moving on to the ear pinch.
Travis R. Bullock