RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone willing to share plans or ideas. A hundred dollars is a little excessive so I guess I will build my own, just need some good ideas.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I bought the plastic fence post with about an 8" metal stake at the end, they are only about 3.5' tall but they work. and go to any walmart and but camo or drab material. use a brass gromet set and zip ties to attach the piece of material to the post.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Tim,

I make Marty's. I buy the heaviest camo twill fabric I can find. We cut them to the length he needs and then hem them all the way around. After hemming at each end I sew a 2" wide "sleeve" to hold the blind pole. If he needs one long enough to use a middle pole I make a "sleeve" in the middle. So far they are holding up pretty well. We used grommets on the first batch and with the wind we get it didn't take long for them to tear out. The sleeves seem to be much better. He orders the blind poles, we haven't found a welder than can make what he wants.

I usually buy the fabric at Joanne's craft stores and if I have the coupon for 1/2 off any cut fabric I can make several out of $100 worth of fabric.

I hope this helps!

lesa c

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Yeah your over thinking it!!!!! Step in plastic electric fence post for local farm store and some camo burlap from walmart and zip ties......

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
This thread reminded me to make mine. I bought camo fabric, and three fence poles,(as stated above) and velcro-self sticking . One set for each post. Seems pretty easy,I'll let you know how it works out or if it falls apart once a big male lab misbehaves in it....

·
Registered
977 Posts
My version: plastic electric fence post from farm store, plastic camo tarp from the farm store. Folded the tarp so it would be the right height and sewed it down. Folded sleeves at both ends and in the middle. Inserted fence posts into sleeves. Cheaper than fabric. So far it's lasted a year, LOL, and still in good shape. Probably wouldn't work well in anything over 20 MPH though.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
I made a nice holding blind a few years ago.

I looked at what worked and what didn't. After looking at a lot of torn holding blinds I knew what to do.

I wanted something light too. I had a well made heavy duty "store bought" that was so heavy I hardly used it.

A new blind costs around $140.00. When mine was done I was at around $150. Not counting the time involved.

It's as good as new still though...

Grommets and zip ties are the first things to fail. Sleeves are the best. Round off the top of the stakes or put some heavy fabric at the top of the sleeve. That's the next place that fails.

When you make the sleeves, sew a "belt loop" type tab at the bottom of each sleeve. Then you can tie a nylon lace from the loop to the bottom of the step on the stake. No lost poles, and you can untie the lace when someone bends your stake take it out and straighten it.

I guess if you had to you could just park a truck on the way to the line and open the door...

·
Registered
455 Posts
Well, My company makes 2 different types of holding blinds our POP blind works like a ground turkey/deer blind and is self supporting. the retail cost on one is 200.00 the panels are 53"x53'' and it stores in a 30''x 8''x8'' area. we use 1000 den cordura for the camo. they also come with veg straps on the top and a 5 year warranty.

our cost is
36 for camo
66 for the POP supports
20 for the webbing and other small consumables
----
122.00 our cost no profit

It takes close to 2 hours to make one from start to finish shop labor rate is 75 per hour.

Our stake in blinds retail for 160.00 for a 3 pan blind the size is 53 tall x 48 long per pan. . It also comes with veg straps, 1000 den fabric and a 5 year warranty. the stake lower (spike and step in bar) is all stainless steel with a hardened 7/8 OD .125 wall aluminum upper.

our cost
20 1 stick 7/8 alum.
30 for the SS lower
30 for the 1000 den fab.
7 for mic. straps and other small consumables
-----
87 our cost no profit

It takes close to 1.82 hours to make one from start to finish shop labor rate is 75 per hour.

I here it all the time "how can a blind cost that much" but when you use the best fabrics and metals it costs money and a business has to make money. people always say they want something to last, well spend the money and it can. I bet one of ours will make 20 years. Not ripping on any one for making there own he!! I love making my own stuff but kind of aggravating to here how we must be making a fortune off of a few blinds and are trying to rip people off. Its one of the least profitable things we make.

Agen not bitching or ripping on any one just wanted people to see what really gos into making one.
Duane

1 - 12 of 12 Posts