Votes: 0 0.0%
  • #2...

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm really surprised at the number of handlers and even the number of judges that don't understand just when the honor dog can be released in an AKC Master or Senior hunt test.

Example: The master working dog comes to the line on a triple set of marks. The honor dog is in the honor box. The working dog sits through the first two thrown marks (or first mark in a senior test) but breaks on the last bird thrown, a live flyer.

Now, are you, as the judge going to...#1 Release the honor dog and have the breaking dog honor on lead. Or are you going to...#2 Excuse the working dog and have the honor dog stay in the honor box and honor for the next working dog or dogs if the working dog(s) keep breaking?

Please answer the POLL question with either a #1 or a #2 answer only. We can discuss what every one's thoughts are (judges and/or handlers) on the question after a couple day with the POLL running. No one will know who answers with a #1 or a #2. Thanks for your cooperation with NOT posting your written thoughts just yet.

Bob May

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
But, but, but ...

..it's a trick question because you didn't give the real answer as an option!!! :shock:
You need a #3!!
M

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No Trick!

That's my point...just pick #1 if you think that is the correct way or #2 if you think that is the correct way. There is only one correct answer.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Honor - the act of remaining stance in a designated location while another dog retrieves a bird.

I think the honor dog has meant the requirement. Fact that the other dog broke or was directed to retrieve is not relevent as long as all three birds are down.

Excuse the honor dog. Require the breaking dog to honor on lead.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You just can't follow requested directions can you Gerald? Are you a Hunt test judge?

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Unfortunately the honor dog needs to sit through another dog. IMHO the honor has not been completed since it did not sit through the entire situation including the judges giving a # and another dog being sent.
I will concede that if this situation is repeated the judges would have something to discuss.

Tim

·
Registered
849 Posts
Hay Bob,, how is everything on your pond these days. We still have H/Ts in Utah ya know.

Oh,,, and it would depend on wheather the judges have been excusing the honor dog before or after the running dog returns with the go bird.,,,, But then if Gillette was judging :roll:

tom

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
it would depend on wheather the judges have been excusing the honor dog before or after the running dog returns with the go bird.
...or if they have been making them sit through all 3 retrieves... :roll:

Lisa - sometimes I hate the HT game...

PS: TIM CAN'T FOLLOW DIRECTIONS EITHER!

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Personally, I think Gerard's answer was important. I believe the confusion Bob is alluding to partly arises out of the differences between HTs and FTs!

But that is as much as I will say for now.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Q for HT Judges, RE: Honoring

[Edit]

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Poll

Kevin...my poll was in reference to hunt tests...as worded. To those that have said 'depends on--------, etc.' The scenario is as written in my post. The working dog broke...what are you going to do?

Those that are posting their opinions VS answering the Poll question aren't really helping the purpose of the poll.

Remember RTF'ers...those that have stated their opinions might not be correct.

Thanks!

·
Registered
590 Posts
the honor dog has to stay untill the working dog is released by the judges!
even though I have seen all kinds of honors sit while a dog runs the blind than goes over to run the marks that was a sr 10 min honor in my case as the handler had to ask questions before he ran and i was in the honor box. cold honors run the marks go behind the holding blind wait till the nex dog runs and completes a blind which might be a few dogs than when they go to the marks you bring your dog to the honor area on lead than remove the lead and honor those are a few example of honors I saw this year in sr and master
David

·
Registered
97 Posts
HAHAHAHA!!

oops.. sorry I was about to burst. I'll try to remain quiet for the rest of the show.

3DK

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
I voted for 2

Since the question needs more information to be complete, I have to make some assumptions.

After the working dog broke and is no longer under judgment, dealing with him is low on the priority list. The question now becomes, did the honor dog meet the requirement as spelled out in the original scenario? I say the honor dog did not, because he wasn?t released by the judge at the time specified in the original scenario, i.e. after we release the working dog, after the working dog returns with the first bird, etc. The test ended for the working dog without the honor dog being released.

Working dog we won?t need you to honor. Honor dog are you ready?

Joe Miano ? who is not a judge

·
Registered
5,143 Posts
my choice in this situation is #1.

now i'll be patient and wait for the discussion. :wink: -paul

·
Registered
573 Posts
I was not patient - had to go to a meeting.

But I would release the honor dog as soon as it was determined the break was uncontroled (in a minor and major).

If the break was controled (in a minor) I would then call the running dogs number and then release the honor dog.

Either way, if all three birds are shoot, the honor dog will not half to repeat the requirement.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts