RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some crazy weather for you guys. Be safe. Stay warm. Are frozen water pipes a potential issue?

·
Registered
7,189 Posts
Here in vicinity of Lake Worth, TX, between FT. Worth and Weatherford, we are doing fine.

Reactions: Tobias

·
Registered
9,700 Posts
Colder than a well diggers ass on a rainy day, currently 5 degrees in N Central TX with rolling power outages, below freezing until Friday, near zero tonight but the sun is out. The younger dogs don’t seem to mind.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Was -1 this morning. I've been having to haul water from the house to the goats and chickens. All my outside water faucets are covered, water to the shop is froze.

I've been leaving some water dripping in the house. I've never experienced negative temperatures before.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's scary when the power goes out. Keeping things from freezing up (or thawing out) is pretty critical. Just saw on FB a FT in TX was canceled this weekend. That's a bummer for everyone...

Yeah - I've been having to haul water to my chickens... So far 4 inches of snow here (S MO) and about 3 degrees. wind chill much colder. Dogs like it...Human, not so much. Birds are living at the bird feeder now. LOL

Attachments

·
Registered
105 Posts
-7 in the Panhandle this morning todays high was 9. They have done a good job keeping the roads clear no travel issues.

·
Registered
579 Posts
When we had chickens and outdoor dogs, we always had electric water dishes to make wure they had fresh water at all times. Tractor supply is your friend.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I've had 40 minutes of electricity in the last 12 hours. A good fire going and dripping faucets may save our bacon. They say power may be back at 11:30 pm.

We have 7 chickens in two wire crates in our garage, and the contents of my freezer are in boxes on our back patio.

·
Registered
7,189 Posts
The windmills for electricity are frozen. We have had continuous electricity but many of our fellow Texans are without power.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We lived so long in AK, where we pre-empted frozen pipes with burying them deep and using heat tape, that we neglected to think it would be necessary here. Woke up to frozen water this morning. Feel pretty foolish for that error of judgement!

Besides the lack of water, will be a beautiful sunny day. Hopefully we can sort out the water situation before spring thaw (this weekend, I guess, LOL).

·
Registered
9,700 Posts
The windmills for electricity are frozen. We have had continuous electricity but many of our fellow Texans are without power.
That’s politician speak, cover for their negligence, only a small portion of our electric power comes from alternate sources, blame record demand, aging infrastructure, and inadequate or non available natural gas supplies. Imagine the absurdity, in a fossil fuel rich state, of blaming frozen wind turbines. We have a rolling blackout with on times about 30 minutes and off times from 45 minutes to 4 hours. When we lose power we lose water too. Power just went out after 43 minutes. Supposed to warm up to 20 this afternoon

·
Registered
222 Posts
The best thing about today Wayne is that the wind quit blowing and the sun's out. One of the best decisions my wife and I made was buying 4x4 trucks .

·
Registered
7,189 Posts
Our well quit working. I think it is the switch not the pump. Well repair folks are busy, busy.
I had a heater in the well house for three hours at temps above 80 degrees. Switch has failed once before.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Our well quit working. I think it is the switch not the pump. Well repair folks are busy, busy.
I had a heater in the well house for three hours at temps above 80 degrees. Switch has failed once before.
we got water back on - our well is housed in a 'wishing well' - we wrapped it with tarps and put a propane heater in an opening... turned it on and 10 minutes later had water... Hopefully the repair guys can come get your switch fixed soon!

·
Registered
9,114 Posts
That’s politician speak, cover for their negligence, only a small portion of our electric power comes from alternate sources, blame record demand, aging infrastructure, and inadequate or non available natural gas supplies. Imagine the absurdity, in a fossil fuel rich state, of blaming frozen wind turbines. We have a rolling blackout with on times about 30 minutes and off times from 45 minutes to 4 hours. When we lose power we lose water too. Power just went out after 43 minutes. Supposed to warm up to 20 this afternoon
The WSJ said 25% of TX power is green, but not consistent.

·
Registered
7,189 Posts
Well companies not doing service calls until Saturday. We have water in buckets: some from neighbors and draining lines house.

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
Nothing is 100% reliable.
If you absolutely must have power tomorrow, next week or next year which source would you choose, Solar, Wind or Fossil fuel?

·
Registered
9,700 Posts
Nothing is 100% reliable.
If you absolutely must have power tomorrow, next week or next year which source would you choose, Solar, Wind or Fossil fuel?
The one with the newest technology, no single source is possible currently but we have been failed by allowing an unregulated market place for electricity which currently is traded like a commodity. The generating companies have no oversight and are/were not required to meet any standards such as operating in very cold conditions. There are plenty of off the grid homeowners doing just fine with state of the art solar power systems.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts