RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
state of the art solar power systems
I have one, thanks to taxpayers for half of it. It is not off grid but could be if I installed a storage system (batteries) that would last 3-5 days under perfect conditions. Winter is not perfect conditions.
Instead I am getting a whole house propane generator that will provide power indefinitely at 30%-40% of the cost of solar backup to install.
I know people that were very glad to have them when last summers wind storm left them without power for days or weeks.

·
Registered
9,695 Posts
I have one, thanks to taxpayers for half of it. It is not off grid but could be if I installed a storage system (batteries) that would last 3-5 days under perfect conditions. Winter is not perfect conditions.
Instead I am getting a whole house propane generator that will provide power indefinitely at 30%-40% of the cost of solar backup to install.
I know people that were very glad to have them when last summers wind storm left them without power for days or weeks.
A big Generac is on my shopping list too. The company might be a good play right now, I expect business in Texas will be brisk.

·
Registered
9,108 Posts
I'd like to hear more about that.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
My hubby checked into the Generac. Although convenient, it is very expensive to purchase and run. It uses the same amount of propane whether you are using the power or not. So a lot of propane consumption.

Meredith

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
I'd like to hear more about that.
What EdA posted.
Generac is one of the most common brands. They are wired in to start when when power coming in is lost. Not something you want to run on permanently but beats being out of power for days or weeks. If you wait until you need a generator to buy one, odds are you won't find one.

·
Registered
9,695 Posts
My hubby checked into the Generac. Although convenient, it is very expensive to purchase and run. It uses the same amount of propane whether you are using the power or not. So a lot of propane consumption.

Meredith
Right now at my house cost is not the consideration, much preferable to a Mediterranean cruise

·
Registered
104 Posts
Several years ago I put a 20KW Generac in at my place in northern Wisconsin. We would often have outages. It runs on propane. Cost me $7,500. Worth every penny. Yes I use a little more propane, but when the outage lasts for days -- and some have, it is well worth it!

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
True. We moved from Iowa where we had frequent outages to NE WA where we have never been without power for more than a couple of hours. For that, it is not worth the Generac system. We have a generator that can run heat/air refrigerator for the house and another small one for the well pump. All we need here thankfully.

Meredith

·
Registered
5,970 Posts
Man, really hate to tempt fate, but so far, we haven't been affected by the power outages. It got bloody cold for this area, dropping into the teens and there are burst pipes all over the place (not city pipes but individual residential ones). The fellow who owns the property where I do lots of my nature photography had multiple breaks. His well froze (actually the line from the well to the pressure tank), but no damage there from what we could tell. That shut down the water to pretty much the whole place, so he couldn't keep the water running to prevent pipes freezing, so I have spent the last couple of days chasing down breaks in the line so that the cattle can get water. Been a bit of an adventure. Lowes plumbing dept. has been a madhouse. The plumbers are really making hay while the sun doesn't shine. I'm going to lose a lot of plants in the yard, hibiscus, banana plants, jacaranda tree, etc. Pretty annoying. We are still looking at two or three nights of below freezing, but we actually got up to about 41 this afternoon.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
True. We moved from Iowa where we had frequent outages to NE WA where we have never been without power for more than a couple of hours. For that, it is not worth the Generac system. We have a generator that can run heat/air refrigerator for the house and another small one for the well pump. All we need here thankfully.

Meredith
Same here, for less than $500 I have a generator that can run my furnace, and alternately run my well, if it came to it, refrigerated items could be placed in coolers.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Some time yesterday we finally got a water line break here at the house. Plumber said he would be out here sometime today. Sure hope it's not too expensive!

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
Some time yesterday we finally got a water line break here at the house. Plumber said he would be out here sometime today. Sure hope it's not too expensive!
Plumbers in your situation are in a very good negotiating position.
If I were in Tx I'd be more worried about him showing up that I would the cost, AND make that clear to him
You will pay it and be happy to!! :)
Best wishes &Good Luck

·
Registered
223 Posts
He showed up ,quoted me a price. I paid them and gave them both a 30 buck tip each. They were both wet , muddy and cold but it was worth the cost ! They earned their money and my wife was very greatful . Now to go buy a bunch of heat tape and it won't happen again I hope.

·
Registered
146 Posts
We lived through a similar freeze in El Paso Feb 1, 2011, complete with a busted water line and flooded house. We were without water in the house for well over a week. My wife and kids went to a hotel while I stayed in the house with the dogs and listened to the fans and dehumidifiers run 24/7. I flushed toilets by filling them with 5 gallon buckets of water drawn from a hose bib, which was located between the outside meter and our main water cutoff.

Everything was in short supply, to include plumbers, plumbing supplies, and especially copper pipe.

I don't think we dripped adequately then, but I sure as hell have everything going now.

I'm not sure people in Dallas appreciate how long this will take to recover from, once lines begin to thaw and the split pipes become evident.

·
Registered
5,970 Posts
This afternoon, I was out repairing another water line on the property where I do most of my local nature photography when something really amazing happened. I had been pretty focused on the task at hand. All of a sudden, I felt a strange sensation on my cheek. It was almost as if someone had aimed a heat lamp at me. I looked up, and the firmament had become a color which I can only describe as blue? It was then that I noticed this large yellowish orb sort of off to the south west. It was that orb which appeared to be the source of the heat. If I was a religious man, I would probably call the whole event a miracle. As a man of science, I think I’ll get on Google and see if I can find an explanation. Hope it lasts awhile!

HPL

·
Registered
13 Posts
We lived so long in AK, where we pre-empted frozen pipes with burying them deep and using heat tape, that we neglected to think it would be necessary here. Woke up to frozen water this morning. Feel pretty foolish for that error of judgement!

Besides the lack of water, will be a beautiful sunny day. Hopefully we can sort out the water situation before spring thaw (this weekend, I guess, LOL).
may be of some help,if your pipe is copper and you have access to a welder with long enough leads you can thaw it out

·
Registered
5,970 Posts
Plumbers in your situation are in a very good negotiating position.
If I were in Tx I'd be more worried about him showing up that I would the cost, AND make that clear to him
You will pay it and be happy to!! :)
Best wishes &Good Luck
Yeah, I'm thinking that the outlook for a college education is looking up for a bunch of local plumbers' kids (if they don't spend the windfall on a new pickup).

21 - 40 of 64 Posts