RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a litter I am selling, people are coming to get their pup wether it be male or female. I separate the males and females then let them choose. All the pups are similar in size, looks, and personality. My friens says "look at the papers, if they are good, close your eyes and grab one! What do you say ?

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I put two famales in the yard to play. A buyer watched the to play for 15 minutes. In the process one pooped. He picked that one cuzz he had a long drive home.

·
Registered
265 Posts
LOL, that's priceless!

I didn't pick mine, mine was picked for me before I knew I was seriously looking for one! This dog changed my life forever :)

·
Registered
12,602 Posts
picked a few pups over the years.
wont tell all the stories, just the best 2
quite a few years back, the week before I was going to "Pick" my pick of the litter I fell on the ice and broke a leg.
Called and said please pick for me. They knew me well and what I wanted to do. Could not get the pup until the 11th week.
GREAT dog, best I had, had up to that point.
about 22 months ago, picked up a pup from a feller I had been wanting a pup from for over 3 years. He knew me and what I wanted.
Told him I was not going to drive forth and back a dozen times, just one time to pick it up. Told him to pick the pup he would keep.
Great dog, best I have had, up to this point!
Jerry Harris used to type "Pick the one that just pooped"

·
Registered
172 Posts
Just pick the litter and reach down and grab one.

·
Registered
333 Posts
First Pick or Last Pick
No good training makes no good dog.
If you done your homework anyone of them could be a winner with good training.
Don't you just love it when no body want the last one and it turns out to be the one that brings home the bacon and he or she is yours. "SMILE"
Here is a picture of 3 left over "last puppies" I would not go back and trade for 1st pick.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Nice pic and points Robert! My last two litters my favorite pup was the last to go.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
In our last litter we had 8 females. The folks who got #8 had no pick. #8 just ran her first Derby at 15 mo. and got 3rd place.

In the previous litter, there were 7 males. A fella sort of "late" to get in his deposit got 5th pick male. Amateur trained and handled the 5th pick male got 25 Derby points, became QAA right out of Derby, won an Amateur at 2 years of age, received other Amateur placements at age two, just won another Amateur at 3 years of age and has qualified to run this year's National Amateur as a 3 year old.

So much for picking puppies. He had 3 to pick from. He eyeballed them and ruled out the biggest male. He looked at the remaining two and then reached down and grabbed the one with the red collar. Red collar needs only a few points for his AFC.

If the breeding is good, you can just reach down and grab one. After they go home, it's up to you.

Helen

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
How we picked our pup in 2004 ... we picked the breeding and decided on a female which narrowed down the pick to a sex. We mailed our deposit right after the breeding was made. Because we were early, we got 2nd pick female.

Pups were in Minnesota, we are in California. The breeder sent us photos and weights of all the pups at 6 weeks. We never got to see the litter in person, we never got to test the puppies in any way. Don asked for the biggest and the wildest female. I have no idea why he asked for the wildest, but he does love big black bitches with spirit.

Chosen by the breeder for her size and personality at 6 weeks, Ruby was exactly the pup Don asked for. She turned out to be big, but not wild. Oh, she was a bit wild on the line when she ran Derby, but Don's demand for control curbed her from walking on the wild side.

She has been everything that he had hoped for -- Big, Black, and All Business. My avatar-- FC/AFC Flyway's Ruby B. Gonia.

Helen

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just went yesterday to pick up my pirate pup up let my 4 year old pick. I do not think it matters its like playing lottery.

·
Registered
15,660 Posts
Judge had the letters 1A tattooed in his ear,so Clint picked him...one of his classmates wives looked at the dog and said "....he looks sober as a judge.." so the name stuck

Mirk and Nola were littermates, and most of the other dogs were already spoken for, Clint chose Mirk because he was a larger male, as he drove away he called MaryKent and said he was coming home with two dogs, he turned around and picked up the little female that no one wanted because she had a little white hair on her chest (which never really showed)..he made a couple of great choices

Sharon van der Lee picked out Star and Dr. Mary Tatum picked out Kate...they both picked the right gals...

G

·
I picked the parents, I let the breeder pick the pup for me. She knew them better seeing them daily for 7 weeks than I would have seeing them for a short amount of time.

·
Registered
847 Posts
The last pup I bought was a blm. The breeder let all the male pups out , and I looked down and one lil feller was trying to climb my leg so I scooped him up and to the house we went :)

·
Registered
72 Posts
I went to pick up Mojo because he was the largest of the 2 Males left....When we arrived at the breeders house they brought them out and a little fiery Female who had been returned as well....We left with them both.....Tried to buy the third as well after playing with them a bit but the breeder wanted to keep one Pup.

Know what you want as far as personality,appearance and performance....Pick a Pup and then train the performance and learn to love how they look and their personality. Not a soul I know of who can pick a Puppy at 7 weeks and tell me anything about what type of Dog it will become.

Bruz

·
Registered
20 Posts
I had to choose between the two remaining pups. Abby picked me!!! She came and sat on my boot and would not leave my side.
She turned out to be the best companion I have ever had.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
My first pup was picked like this. Had 3 black females to pick from.Breeder had a 6 yr old boy and I told him to run. First one stopped chasing him after 15 yrds,2nd stopped at about 35 yrds the 3rd never stopped chasing that kid,I picked her. Turned out pretty good,pic is at 2 yrs old.

·
Registered
172 Posts
For my last dog it was pretty simple, I chose the one that wasn't fat and lazy! There were two females, and alice was the one who ran up and licked my boot, sat down in front of me, and started wagging her tail. At 15 weeks old she shows me a lot of potential. The other was ummm.... Special. :p the first thing she did was walk out, poop, and lay down. My little girl made the pick pretty easy by exerting a little energy when they were out to play. Now shes a mini Tasmanian devil!

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
Got my dog from my friend. She kept the pick of the litter and that is the one she gave me. We co-own her.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts