How do I take the test to judge FT?

I have been asked to judge several times but need to take "The Test"

·
Registered
5,252 Posts

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Having taken the HT test in December and the FT test just a few weeks ago, I can tell you the FT test has even less to do with judging dogs than the HT test (and that is saying something). Out of the 107 questions, I think only about 12 of them actually had to do with judging dogs. The rest were things like "can you accept entries after closing", "what qualifies a dog to run a Restricted Stake", "what constitutes an Amateur", "how many premiums need to be sent to AKC", "what type of awards may be given", etc.

Also you need a lawyer to explain the questions, or maybe a good English teacher. I have never seen so many double negative questions. You have to read through several times just to figure out if they are asking you if something is OK or not OK.

Good luck!

Dawn

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Having taken the HT test in December and the FT test just a few weeks ago, I can tell you the FT test has even less to do with judging dogs than the HT test (and that is saying something). Out of the 107 questions, I think only about 12 of them actually had to do with judging dogs. The rest were things like "can you accept entries after closing", "what qualifies a dog to run a Restricted Stake", "what constitutes an Amateur", "how many premiums need to be sent to AKC", "what type of awards may be given", etc.

Also you need a lawyer to explain the questions, or maybe a good English teacher. I have never seen so many double negative questions. You have to read through several times just to figure out if they are asking you if something is OK or not OK.

Good luck!

Dawn

If you're looking for a resource on HOW to judge a field trial, get the judges manual (light blue book) at this link:

http://www.theretrievernews.com/Store

·
Registered
915 Posts
There's a test for FT judges? I thought all you had to have was a pulse...

Just when I thought I knew it all,

BHB

·
Registered
5,347 Posts

Good luck!

Dawn
Totally! I remember taking the test years ago, this is an open book test taken in the comfort of your own living room so there is no excuse for not getting 100% correct, but as you said, it is really hard to follow the logic of some questions. I missed one question that try as I might I couldn't figure out what they were asking. It's a strange test, but it does force you to read the rulebook front to back, which I guess is its purpose.

John

1 - 8 of 8 Posts