RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a young golden that gets really pumped up at tests. Last sunday we pulled into the field where the test was.... we were still quite a ways from the actual set up... soon as we pulled in she was whining and jumping around . we train regularly with others.. they have trucks, trailers and dogs... we were only a half hour from home so no long trip... we could see a couple dpg trucks when we pulled in, but as I said I have training pards with dog trucks and trailers...
we also train at a lot of different places.... what is the que here?

·
Registered
59 Posts
It's different. I think they key off of us, we act differently somehow. I know my stomach gets a little messed up on test days. Have you ever tried taking her to a test that you were not running?

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
It's clearly because goldens are just plain brilliant :D

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
It's clearly because goldens are just plain brilliant :D
Oh I was thinking my 3 black dogs are superior and know exactly when we are at a test in spite of all my prepping??? Darn Goldens too!!:) Probably all other dog breeds too!!Hmmm!

·
Registered
5,248 Posts
Triggers. In every environment are a set of triggers - sights, sounds, smells and so on - that are unique to it. That's what tells a dog where he is and what to expect there. I use holding blinds, call numbers and "Guns up!", play my Gunz up CD while training in order to keep as many of the triggers of testing in my daily training as possible. Not doing so is largely responsible for many dogs becoming test wise to a problematic level.

While I do believe all of them will become test/trial wise to an extent, it need not be to a point of having a dog be out of control there. The more consistent a trainer is about doing those things that keep the two environments from clashing, the less of a problem they're apt to have.

Evan

·
Registered
7,790 Posts
I am convinced chemical excitement pheromones are given off and dogs pick up on them besides the triggers of going to a trial. They were having CERF exams at a Boykin National. I took my FT dog that was retired 6 years. He had gone with me lots of places including training and trial grounds as a retiree. He had never been to this area but it was a short ride-as in 40 minutes. We parked down a road at least 1/4 mile from the trial. He got so excited when I opened the van he flew out thinking he was at a trial and he continued to be in high excitement the whole time we were there. In fact, he seemed more enthusiastic about life for months afterward. There is no way he knew where he was except for his sense of smell.

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
the same way they know that 5 pm is dinner regardless of what else is going on and 9pm is bed, again, despite whatever else might be going on. our first lab literally used to go upstairs and lay on the bed within 5 mins +/- 9pm nightly. Who knows, they just know.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts