Votes: 153 89.0%
  • Outside

Votes: 19 11.0%
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a house, and decided to move my dog to an outside kennel instead of in the house, where I kept her for the first 8 months. I moved her out bc I didn't want all the hair in my new home, but I really would like to move her back in. What do you guys do to control the dog hair in the house? I also found searching online that a higher quality food will decrease shedding to some extent, any truth to this?

I also created a poll because I was curious how many kept there dogs inside and outside, vote if you want.

Thanks,

KRD

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Control dog hair? 6 Goldens, 2 Labradors, 1 setter? Dyson vac and I live with it. I'd rather have the dogs than pick nits about dog hair.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
NO CARPET or cloth furniture.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Furminator, Swiffer, and a Kirby vac at least keeps it in control!

Chris

·
Registered
877 Posts
I run a sweeper every day. I do have an outside run for the boys but they still stay in the house most of the time

·
Registered
612 Posts
Two Female labs, and a yorkie (the yorkie doesn't count), all dogs live in the house. I have an outside dog run that the labs stay in during the day while I'm at work and the kids are at school but they stay in the house every night and all weekend.

I have wood and tile floors in the front of the house, carpet in the back of the house. We try and keep the dogs in the front of the house.

I brush the dogs daily but there is still a lot of hair, but a little hair is a small price to pay, wouldn't have it any other way.

·
Registered
442 Posts
3 black labs in the house, vacuum every other day. No carpet in the house.

·
Registered
402 Posts
It's not too bad with just one dog most of the time. But when he blows his coat, it's ridiculous. During those times I'll usually brush, then give him a bath, then brush again after he's dry.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Three goldens in the house. Sweep...Sweep...Sweep. It's worth it.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
I vacuum a LOT but I think over all if the dogs are inside, one must just have a relative relaxed attitude about it. If guests are bothered, then they are probably not our closest friends ;)

We have a short haired jack rustle (White) a dachshund mix (red) and a lab (Dark Yellow) who lives full time in the house - needless to say I do NOT have a lot of things that are black or dark in color.

The rest of our dogs reside part time out-doors and part time in a custom designed air conditioned “Dog room” (converted 3 car garage) ....

.... This sign hangs over our living-room “Bar” .... “Hair of the dog? Help yourself - its all over the house”

·
Registered
9,442 Posts
I always wanted a dog growing up, we had a small ankle biter as a "family pet" (God I miss him - he was my boy), but I always wanted a big dog (golden at first, then a chocolate lab, but I got sucked into the dark side). Well I joined the Army out of college and lived in apartments, so having a dog wasn't really a good idea. Once I got out I told myself as soon as I bought a house I was gonna get me a dog! I bought my house so I could have dogs and not dogs that lived outside the entire time! So if you don't like dog hair and the occasional fur ball flying out from under the couch to attack ya, don't visit my house! :) I have mostly hardwood floors where the dogs have access, so the wind tends to blow all the loose hair under our couch!

BTW to answer your poll - it's a combination for us. During the day and weather provided the dogs are outside, other wise they are in the house (crates when we aren't home, other wise free roam).

·
Banned
3,787 Posts
I vacuum a LOT but I think over all if the dogs are inside, one must just have a relative relaxed attitude about it. If guests are bothered, then they are probably not our closest friends ;)

We have a short haired jack rustle (White) a dachshund mix (red) and a lab (Dark Yellow) who lives full time in the house - needless to say I do NOT have a lot of things that are black or dark in color.

The rest of our dogs reside part time out-doors and part time in a custom designed air conditioned “Dog room” (converted 3 car garage) ....

.... This sign hangs over our living-room “Bar” .... “Hair of the dog? Help yourself - its all over the house”
More pictures of this please. Do you have that "rubber" flooring in there?

WRL

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Like Lainee, when the weather is nice, they spend some time in the house in the morning then are outside all day and come back in for some family time in the evenings. Most of the winter and when it's raining they're inside with us. Yes, there is a lot of hair to deal with. We have 2 labs and a Golden so there's no way around it. You just vacuum and sweep more often. It's worth it to me to have them with us though.

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
Control the dog hair? I don't even try....it covers up the dust.

We have 5 yellow labs, a long haired cat, and a mini schnauzer. the schnauzer is inside most of the time but doesn't shed much.

Seriously, we keep the labs mostly crated when inside, but they spend much of the day outside, unless the weather is too hot, too cold or too stormy. LOL

I vacuum often. I also run a Romba in the bedroom, bath, and office area (tiled) usually every other day but sometimes more often.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
More pictures of this please. Do you have that "rubber" flooring in there?

WRL
Yes, we installed wall to wall the big rubber horse stall mats that tractor supply sells..... Steve and I got a GREAT work out in putting that floor down!
I will see if I have more photos - if not it may be time to snap some updated ones. These are from last year.

·
Banned
3,787 Posts
Yes, we installed wall to wall the big rubber horse stall mats that tractor supply sells..... Steve and I got a GREAT work out in putting that floor down!
I will see if I have more photos - if not it may be time to snap some updated ones. These are from last year.
Yeah nothing like moving a 120 lbs of wet noodle. Do you worry about debris or feces/unrine getting under them?

WRL

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I can deal with the hair through daily vacumming but it amazes me the amount of dust in the room that the dogs stay...massive amounts

G

·
We have all tile no carpet, leather furniture. I vacuum everyday with a riccar vacuum and wash bedspreads every other day since they sleep on the bed.

·
Registered
201 Posts
4 black dogs who live both in and out
all hardwood
vacuum everyday

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Yeah nothing like moving a 120 lbs of wet noodle. Do you worry about debris or feces/unrine getting under them?

WRL
Nope ... most of the dogs are crated in this room. I use the center of the big space for indoor obedience and crates are lines against the walls.

There is a 5 X 5 kennel pen where our older GSD stays. She has a rug under her and a dog bed in there. 100% house broken.

On the few occasions we’ve needed to clean up a “mess” ... we have picked up the needed mat(s) and sanitized/scrubbed/waited until completely dry to return. There is concrete under them so its easy to clean.

The puppy area (whelping box) is now enclosed and private (these photos are old) there is roll out linoleum under the whole area covering the mats. A carpet covers that in the early stages. Once the pups are old enough they are moved to our indoor/outside puppy area.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts