RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've used Dokken mallards and Geese for yrs and when I'm done with them I leave them in the sun when I can. But, every now and then one stays wet too long and starts to smell like cat urine, any idea's how to get that smell out of them?

·
Registered
172 Posts
I dip mine in the pool and then hang to dry. The chlorine seems to kill the bateria that cause the smell.

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
Do a search for "cat urine" LOL.

Do google search like this:
site:retrievertraining.net cat urine

and read away!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I thought you were joking, thanks, I still use them but I just figured I'd ask.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
My husband thought one of the cats was peeing in the truck pull out where I keep the bumpers before we figured out it was the Dokkens.

I filled a 5-gallon bucket with bleach water and let them sit for a couple of hours. I NEVER put them in the drawer wet.

Meredith

·
Registered
412 Posts
I had a few that got really waterlogged, I backed over them with my truck to squeeze out the excess water, then ran them in a commercial dryer with a couple towels for about 45 minutes.....good as new. I never worry about how they smell and the dogs don't seem to mind either.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
How are the dogs supposed to find them if they can't smell em?? :) I use bleach and water and soak them overnight (I used a board and heavy bricks to hold them underwater.... I like real birds better!!

·
Registered
176 Posts
I agree with the others, If I'm training with stinky birds they better be real. Otherwise, I use, prefer and recommend Avery ATB or True Birds. They dont stink, have a rubber head that doesnt break and are available in black/white flasher configurations for marking drills.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I had a few that stunk, which was a mystery to me, because they were identical in age, history, storage, and use to the ones that didn't stink. Huh.

Anyway. I filled my plastic training buckets with hot hot hot water and regular blue Dawn and submerged them for a little while, then wiped them down real well and laid them on the concrete in the sun for as long as I could.

They're fine now.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Throw them away. Use real birds

/Paul
My trained dog was prego then raising a faimily for our duck season last fall so I didnt do any duck hunting last fall, just field hunting geese. SO I didnt have any ducks to freeze, we dont have any nearby mallard raisers , but I do use fresh ( live ) Pigeons. Im doing water retriever right now so thats why Im into this jam

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
Do a search for "cat urine" LOL.

Do google search like this:
site:retrievertraining.net cat urine

and read away!
OMG, I just had this happen! I kept looking at what on earth could have been hit by cat pee (I have NO cats here). Finally determined it was the dokkens!!! :eek:

·
Registered
921 Posts
I had some and couldn't get the smell out either so I switched to real cats...I recommend leather gloves when throwing flyers;)
Best way to throw a cat flyer is with a winger. Gloves still recomended. ;-)

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Best way to throw a cat flyer is with a winger. Gloves still recomended. ;-)
I never could get them to stay in the pouch long enough to get consistent throws.

The way I got rid of the dokken smell is to train with birds and plastic bumpers. I haven't used a dokken in probably 10 years.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
I had a few that got really waterlogged, I backed over them with my truck to squeeze out the excess water, then ran them in a commercial dryer with a couple towels for about 45 minutes.....good as new.

This is the best way to get the cats to stay in the winger before lift off.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 20 Posts