RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious to se how everyone keeps fore ants out of dog food that is stored outside. I have 1 55 gal trash can that sits in a water tub. It does so so, but when they are really bad, I have even had them get past the water????

Last eve I put some food in a plastic storage container in the middle of a 17x30 slab that I built for a new kennel. The entire outside perimeter was treated with fire ant preventative last week . Go out there this morning and Bam, box is covered with fire ants but they are dazed because of cold front. I in addition treat entire area with over and out. This is frickin ridiculous. There has to be a way to defeat these stupid ants...?

Just wondering about how some of you store food outside in the south????

·
Registered
230 Posts
Keep something like diazinon spread 2-3' around the perimeter of the can. You'll have to keep it out on a regular basis because it doesn't last long. You can thank our tree hugger population for that. Once you notice the ants trailing up the can, it's time to treat the area again.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
How much food are you storing? Have you looked into airtight/bug-proof containers?

·
Registered
213 Posts
Find a lawn care professional to spray your yard including all areas around your house and kennel with fipronil, the active ingredient in Frontline. With the proper rate you can get one year control of fireants with one application. Make sure they use fipronil, some other products work but not nearly as well. You do need to water in the product after it has dried, within twenty four hours after spraying. It works great in Southwest GA.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
I wonder if adding soap to your water bucket might help?

I don't mean a teaspoon or two (that might work) I'm talking about a whole bottle of the stuff and just a little water so you cover the entire bottom in a gooey, soapy mess. The idea is that the ants sorta get stuck in the soap, because I hear they can "swim" in water.

Another option is to try those Gamma Seal lids (I'd still probably squirt some soap on the bucket to try n slow em down).

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
There are a number of screw-lid options

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Skeeter,

We use those at my work. It is just a regular five gallon bucket. The ring snaps on to the bucket with a rubber mallet and then you can screw the lid on.
http://www.amazon.com/Gamma-Seal-Lid-ASSORTED-COLORS/dp/B001VBALBK
Yes. They are Gamma Seal Lids

You can find them for sale on the internet, or you can ask your friendly Doomsday Prepper where to find them. :D

The Gamma Seal lid is a unique solution to the exasperating finger-nail breaking lids of yesteryear. A pail without a lid is only so useful... while a pail with a Gamma Seal lid can be used limitlessly! The Gama Seal lid is not only re-sealable, but the heavy duty construction allows it to be reusable. Easily RE-SEALS your pail! or Transforms your clean pail into an airtight STORAGE CONTAINER!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just a thought but you may try hanging it instead of sitting it on a surface. 55 gal may do better on a stand though. I do that with my dogs feeding bowl. Seems to help.

Brad

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
Just a thought but you may try hanging it instead of sitting it on a surface. 55 gal may do better on a stand though. I do that with my dogs feeding bowl. Seems to help.

Brad
You don't know much about fire ants do you?

·
Registered
122 Posts
I keep a generous 2 inch "strip" of automotive grease around my 55 gallon container along the bottom. Once every couple of months I will add more to it if needed but I haven't ever had an ant crawl through it.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
I've had no issues keeping food in my metal building. I keep a pallet at a time on the floor and dump a bag at a time into a plastic bin that sits up on a table. I spot treat the mounds in the yard and the perimeter gets sprayed for skeeters.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
I keep a generous 2 inch "strip" of automotive grease around my 55 gallon container along the bottom. Once every couple of months I will add more to it if needed but I haven't ever had an ant crawl through it.
I have similar results from using soap moat. Doesn't adhere to the container the way grease would, but thank goodness I don't have a bad ant problem.

I wonder if vaseline might work, too? I know it works in New Orleans to keep folks from scaling the balcony poles on Bourbon Street :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts