RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Our club had our Spring Hunt Test last weekend, and I spent some time this weekend getting the equipment trailer back in order and ready to return to storage.

I did a quick inventory and found that last weekend we lost a couple of duck calls, a couple radios, a few hold down spikes for the base of the wingers, and some other misc. stuff. I doubt anything is intentionally taken, but I'm sure some inadverently ends up in the trash (and I'm not sifting through all the garbage) or rides home in someone's pocket (where they find it, but never remember to bring it to the next event).

By the end of the test, everyone is a bit fried, and doing an equipment count never seems to happen; but clearly we could do a better job of rounding up all the equipment. I believe that other clubs have to have the same problem and there has to be a better way to keep track of this stuff and get it back into the trailer after the test.

We've talked about numbering the equipment and having workers "check it out" and be responsible for that particular piece of equipment. Any other clubs tried that?

What methods does your club use to make sure all the equipment makes it back? What methods have you tried that were unsuccessful?

Thanks,

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Lost radios are always a problem and can be a major expense. One of my clubs:

1. numbered the radios and added lanyards (leather boot strings work)
2. assigned the numbered radios to each stake's marshal boxes and told the marshal they distribute THEIR radios and collect THEIR radios when it is over.

When all else fails, we go through the garbage-- mainly the lunch sacks the bird boys tossed.

DUCK CALLS: We have lost duck calls, too. Again, they are assigned to the stake marshal's marshal box and the marshal is responsible for getting back THEIR duck calls.

When all else fails, we go through the garbage -- checking out lunch sacks.

Helen

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
Our club had our Spring Hunt Test last weekend, and I spent some time this weekend getting the equipment trailer back in order and ready to return to storage.

I did a quick inventory and found that last weekend we lost a couple of duck calls, a couple radios, a few hold down spikes for the base of the wingers, and some other misc. stuff. I anything is intentionally taken, but I'm sure some inadverently ends up in the trash (and I'm not sifting through all the garbage) or rides home in someone's pocket (where they find it, but never remember to bring it to the next event).

By the end of the test, everyone is a bit fried, and doing an equipment count never seems to happen; but clearly we could do a better job of rounding up all the equipment. I believe that other clubs have to have the same problem and there has to be a better way to keep track of this stuff and get it back into the trailer after the test.

We've talked about numbering the equipment and having workers "check it out" and be responsible for that particular piece of equipment. Any other clubs tried that?

What methods does your club use to make sure all the equipment makes it back? What methods have you tried that were unsuccessful?

Thanks,
We use an equipment marshall and all stakes sign out equipment and sign is in. Still lose a few duck calls, but not much else.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Other things seem to get left behind in the field such as mats, popper gun stands, and legs to wingers. When the equipment is brought in at the end of each day (if that happens) our Event Chairman and the Head Marshal are right there at the trailer waiting to check it in to make sure it got back so it can be used the next day. If something is missing, somebody goes out into the field to find it (hopefully before dark); but we have been known to go out with flashlights.

The stake marshal is responsible for keeping their marshal box and what the box contains. They usually store them in their car, van, or truck and do not turn them in until the end of the event. Our marshal boxes are plastic storage tubs clearly marked with a permanent marker as to which stake it belongs.

To start the trial or the hunt test, all of the equipment to be used at each stake is segregated (i.e. heaped in a pile) and identified with a home made sign (Master A, Master B, etc.) as to which stake is to use this equipment. The Event Chairman with the help of the Head Marshal does this.

The stake marshals (and whomever is helping them as set up person) are responsible for picking up their equipment and their marshal box. Radios and duck calls are in the marshal boxes and numbered. The stake marshals know that they are responsible for getting their radios and duck calls back into their marshal boxes.

One of the best things our club did for our recent hunt test was to stagger the start times.
Junior started at 8:00. Senior at 8:30, Master A and Master B at 9:00. Having stake marshals and set up people arrive at staggered times meant it was a lot less hectic at the trailer. The Event Chairman and Head Marshal could get the marshals and set up people loaded up and sent off before the next group arrived to get their equipment.

Having staggered start times also helped get the live flyers delivered to the stakes without a lot of fuss. On the first day, Junior got their birds first, then Senior, then Master.

Helen

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
We use an equipment marshall and all stakes sign out equipment and sign is in. Still lose a few duck calls, but not much else.
Sounds like a good idea.

Also make sure your marshals take ownership and inventory.

Our club uses neon lanyards to help identify the stuff.

:D

·
Registered
834 Posts
You have some good ideas offered up.

In addition to the above suggestions what we did was to paint the guns, & misc. equipment orange and add the club logo to it.

Tied orange surveyors tape to lanyards etc.etc.

It won't keep things from walking off but it does make it easier to spot if left laying around or in someones truck.

It also make the stuff soooooo ugly nobody wants it.

·
Registered
244 Posts
TN Lab. I had to steal your picture for my husband. Yes equipment police. Number and count. Don't let anyone leave until everything is accounted and in it's place. Sharpie everything with the club name and number. If it's metal then scroll it in with a drill.

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
Just part of the cost of doing bidness. We had a whole test setup- wangers, blinds shotguns the whole 9 yards out in the field when some civilian dropped by as we were locking up the trailer last year.

Prolly started the "fooled 'em again" celebration a bit early regards

Bubba

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
We have a big box that the radios came in, so you know they are missing when you start putting them away. It doesn't always mean we find them, but we have a better chance at it.

Our Stake's Chairs (not the Marshals) usually do a very good job of getting all of the equipment back on the flatbed trailer used to do the set up/take down. One year, we lost a few holding blinds. When we sent out emails, people did return them.

It's a lot of work to keep track of everything, even with a nicely organized trailer.

We also stagger the start times for the Hunting Test. Master starts at 8 a.m. on Friday and Junior starts at 10 a.m. on Friday. On Saturday, Master carryover starts at 7 a.m., OH Qualifying at 8 a.m., Senior at 9 a.m. and Junior at 10 a.m. Staggering does allow for a more organized start to each day.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the replies and ideas. They're along the lines of what we were thinking, but I appreciate the extra detail and confirmation that it's not just something we're doing wrong. I have gone through the trash before and found full boxes of popper shells. Guess we have to be more thorough in our trash sifting.

Another thing I'm going to try for the next test, is put colored electrical tape specific to each stake (i.e. blue tape for Master A, red tape for Master B, orange tape for Jr/Sr.) on the radios, calls, etc. That way it will be easier to see what stake didn't get it's equipment back in.

I really like the idea of staggering the start. We just tried that last weekend and it helped prioritize who gets equipment out first, and it does help avoid everyone swarming the trailer at the same time.

·
Registered
946 Posts
One thing we do is inventory everything at the end of Saturday. All equipment must come back to club trailer, that way at least we know what day something went missing. We check Marshals boxes every day also(Radios, Duck calls). Also since we have 1 flyer in every series in junior and senior it makes it easier to keep track of wingers and popper guns.

·
Registered
244 Posts
seems like our club always loses duck calls. some stakes im sure. no issues with radios since only marshal and hq has them. what i noticed at the last ht was that the hired help doesnt treat the equipment like they owned it. no respect for our stuff. that's how things get broke and costs us money. have you all noticed this trend?

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I know this is a bit off subject but along the same lines, when I worked construction we would always lose stuff at job sites if we didn't do a thorough clean up at the end of each day, we then started to spraypaint everything neon pink- It is amazing how that color sticks out if someone else is using it or if you leave it behind and someone doing a last walk-through is able to see it more easily. plus most guys dont want to be seen using a neon pink shot gun or radio while training

1 - 13 of 13 Posts