RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

How involved is your spouse/significant other in your training/competing?

• very much involved

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • somewhat involved

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what you all think.
I have noticed over the last several months at our club's training days that I hardly ever see any spouses.

I almost get the feeling that this is something of a "boys" club.

Note: these are HT people, exclusively.

Does anyone's spouse get involved with training or going to tests/trials?

My wife attends all of our club training days more for moral support, but she is also a pretty darn good birdboy/girl. (All those years of softball finally paid off)

I know at the higher levels of competition in FT's we have several spouses each at the top of the game ie Aycock's, Dubose's to name a few.

Lefty

·
Banned
615 Posts
spouse

Could not do this without my wife. She throws birds in training, helps air dogs at trials, help air at home, even has her own buisness card made(HEAD POOPER SCOOPER). She "loved" that one. The kids even pitch in some. This is a FAMILY affair with us. That's what makes it fun.

K

·
0 Posts
Where's the "not at all"!! I don't fall into the category, but I have two women that work with me on a regular basis who do.

My husband and I are/were attached at the hip with it for the last four years, 12 hours a day 5-6 days a week. He's leaving for school on Monday and it's going to be really strange.

There sure are a lot of girl handlers, though!

-Kristie

·
Registered
100 Posts
OTHER - NOT INVOLVED AT ALL ! :)

Could care less about the whole deal, but will feed and water IF I'm gone out of town for some reason and IF I bribe her. :?

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
Both of us are totally involved. I usually start the young pups and run them in early tests and Dave like to finish them off.

We both judge tests and scoop poop.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry, I goofed on the poll. There was s/b a "not at all" category but it didn't carry over. :oops:

Lefty

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I have THE best helper in the whole world. He will throw, plant blinds, helps take care of the dogs that don't go. If he goes with me we take all the dogs and he helps air them, coaches from the side lines. You name he does it! He will load the canoe on top of the van paddle out throw birds, fish while I am running blinds. Couldn't do it without Troy. Thank you Troy! I loves you alot :oops:

( for anyone here that knows Troy they know how big a help he is!)

·
Registered
228 Posts
Spouses

Mine pretends she is not at all interested in gundogs!

If I am away she will exercise the dogs, feed them, clean out the kennels, freshen the drinking water and has even been caught sitting out on the patio, cool drink in one hand and a collection of spaniels and retievers at her feet.

Not interested my foot!

Nimrod

·
Registered
17,005 Posts
spouse

The last spouse Franco had, left the household yelling that she never wanted to see another retriever or piece of camo clothing as long as she lived! :D

B

·
0 Posts
I have a new category... loves to help but sometimes undoes the training.

As in, "Please don't feed him food from the table" "Please don't give him any singles while we are working FF" "Please require him to STAY, HEEL, etc. if you tell him... don't let him off the hook." Then again, I'm sure I've screwed up my fair share!

·
Registered
50 Posts
I am one of the lucky ones. My wife thought attending a Hunt Test with me would be total boredom. She went to Northern Piedmont with me last year, and was hooked! We recently purchased a puppy and it is HER dog. She is doing all the training and will do the running at least through the Started level.
She says she never thought she'd wear camo clothing. She owns as much as me now! :lol:
My advice to all the men out there: Get your wife and kids involved. It'll make it much more fun!

R

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Lisa wrote:

Where's choice C "Spouse? What spouse?"
I'll second that!! Hard to find a guy who will look at you with the same adoring look your dog does!! :wink:

Margo-

If you ever clone Troy I'll take a copy!!

M

·
Registered
300 Posts
Voted somewhat.

My wife participated much more before our son (14 months) was conceived/born. Was even given the moniker "Long Bird" by a member of the training group. Not so much know, but I expect it will increase again someday. She IS jealous of the amount of time that it requires and is not fond of trial season which causes me to be away 2,3,4 weekends in a row. This actually causes a decent bit of friction, but she knows that I have to do it and the trials within decent range are all packed together. I feel some guilt being away, but as I said I HAVE to do it.

Anthony

·
Registered
813 Posts
My wife was so uninvolved she left to find things that interest her.

Oh well, leaves more time for dogs and training. The honey-do list is much shorter this way also.

·
Registered
849 Posts
I got my Labs, wife has her Beagles
She has more invested in dogs than I do -- pft-pft-pht

tom

·
Registered
892 Posts
bach_1006 said:
I have a new category... loves to help but sometimes undoes the training.

As in, "Please don't feed him food from the table" "Please don't give him any singles while we are working FF" "Please require him to STAY, HEEL, etc. if you tell him... don't let him off the hook." Then again, I'm sure I've screwed up my fair share!
Exact same problem here. Except Katrina will throw marks for Ginger occasionally.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Last week my wife drove up to Sacramento to work with DFG and others to rewrite dog training regulations. She then traveled to Oregon to train and will run a Hunt Test this weekend in Loleta. She put several Derby Jams on Mac this last year and tells me she wants to have some sort of life besides dogs.

Russ

B

·
0 Posts
Sure, my wife will throw marks, work on OB, etc. Unfortunately, she often does it when SHE WANTS to, not when the DOG NEEDS to. I should have started training my wife first, dog second. Is there an analogy to the force-fetch with spouses?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts