Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I do not hunt.

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A statement on another thread was made which I think is incorrect; the statement was something to the effect of the poster was surprised on how many people on this forum do not hunt. I personally believe most of the dog people on this forum hunt so I decided to find out for myself. I believe this poll was done before but we also have a lot of new people on the forum.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OOPS wrong forum- I sent a PM to Vicky to please move this to the main forum. :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

·
Registered
177 Posts
I hunt every chance I get (at least once a week) and do the Hunt Test thing for fun and something to do out of season. Great time to meet people, hang out with friends, and learn something. Even though I want to pass and title, it is least important...the experience and environment is what it is about to me.

·
Administrator
3,871 Posts
shootem said:
OOPS wrong forum- I sent a PM to Vicky to please move this to the main forum. :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
Sorry Randy....I just got your PM. Better late than never. :)

Vicky

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
Vicky Trainor said:
shootem said:
Sorry Randy....I just got your PM. Better late than never. :)

Vicky
Great to see you back posting again, Vicky. Hope all is well with you.

This is a slam dunk poll for me Randy, as you might expect. There's the hunt test season, the hunting season, and February.

UB

·
Registered
7,268 Posts
I'd be curious how may field trialers and hunt testers extensively hunt their dogs on upland game. Seems to me that this would be more detrimental to testing than waterfowl hunting.

I probably hunted 60 days this year. Next year I need to keep track of how many days and how many birds on a calendar.

·
Registered
319 Posts
"I have hunted in the past."--Jah, before we had 4 kids.
The youngest is old enough now, I was able to join hubby for some dove hunting last fall.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
It would be very rare for the mutts and I to miss an open season day of hunting. (Discounting the "conservation season," which is a cruel joke this far South.)

We only test to scare my lazy tail into training, as opposed to just futzing around afield with the dogs.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Uncle Bill

Uncle Bill :

There won't be as many snow geese coming to S.D. this year - if my weekend is anything like it should be.
"patiences my ass- I want to kill something"

The snows are thick here in Central NE. -
But don't tell anyone............

I just can't stand those Iowa Guys over here - (just Kidding........)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Buzz said:
I'd be curious how may field trialers and hunt testers extensively hunt their dogs on upland game. Seems to me that this would be more detrimental to testing than waterfowl hunting.

I probably hunted 60 days this year. Next year I need to keep track of how many days and how many birds on a calendar.
I am just like you - hunted close to 75 this season.

I am not in Lab Country for my state in terms of doggy game people, more pointing dog people, most cover dog guys hunt some but not a lot, NAVHDA are either hard core hunters or simply playing the game for breeding titles!

·
Registered
7,268 Posts
steelheadfred said:
Buzz said:

I am just like you - hunted close to 75 this season.

I am not in Lab Country for my state in terms of doggy game people, more pointing dog people, most cover dog guys hunt some but not a lot, NAVHDA are either hard core hunters or simply playing the game for breeding titles!
Where are you at in Northern MI? My dad lives in Onekama on Portage Lake.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I hunt a great deal every year....but it's never enough. People talk about a balanced life...I like to meet the guy who invented the 5 day work week and the 2 day week-end...geez :roll:

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
We hunt a lot...at least once or twice a week on average from dove opening in September through waterfowl closing towards the end of January and quail closing in Baja which is usually around the 1st of March. We're also fortunate to be able to hunt not only in California and in Baja for doves and quail, but also in Montana for ducks, geese, Huns, grouse and snipe.

In the off-season, we train just about daily on dry land and 3-4 times a month in the water using Dokken dead fowl trainers, bumpers (of course!) and either dead or, when we're lucky, live pigeons.

To hunt or to train...that's often the question, and we'll choose hunting first every time given the opportunity and the season. But, we do continue to train daily during the season when we can't go "wallow in the dirt and mud to kill stuff!" :wink:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts