RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Banned
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it depends if the dog passes the test, but if he passes all tests, how many events would we have to attend to get his JH title? We are new to this and quite possibly would get deeper into it if there were enough events that wouldn't break the bank getting there.

·
Registered
408 Posts
If he passes them all, it would be four. But that being said, make sure you are both 100% ready before the first event. I am now 1-4 after finally passing this past weekend.

Good Luck

Mark

·
Banned
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If he passes them all, it would be four. But that being said, make sure you are both 100% ready before the first event. I am now 1-4 after finally passing this past weekend.

Good Luck

Mark

The tests shouldn't be that difficult for JH, or are they? Single marks, right? Does the dog have to sit and hold the bird, or can he just bring it to you and you take it from him? I told you I was new to this. HA HA!!

·
Registered
51 Posts
The test will be two singles on land, and two singles on water. The dog must deliver to hand, but does not have to come to heel, and sit. Also you are allowed to leave a leather non-choking collar on the dog to hold on to for steadiness during the test. I would say to make sure that the dog has some line manners just in case though.
Sean

·
Registered
4,680 Posts
The test will be two singles on land, and two singles on water. The dog must deliver to hand, but does not have to come to heel, and sit. Also you are allowed to leave a leather non-choking collar on the dog to hold on to for steadiness during the test. I would say to make sure that the dog has some line manners just in case though.
Sean
Doesn't have to be a leather collar, just any flat buckle type collar.

Not just some line manners either, many judges will crack down on a dog dragging its owner to the line, or coming to the line on 2 legs and very especially, being noisy.

Marks are singles up to 100 yards. 2 on land, 2 on water normally. Your dog should handle a cripple. Be comfortable with holding blinds, boats, crowds, noise, other dogs, decoys, calls, whistles, guns, etc. You're in WI, you should have plenty of tests within easy drive, don't rush it. Join a club if you haven't already, and train with a group, before you ever enter your first test. It is hugely addicting, but make it fun vs frustrating for yourself & your dog.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I would suggest that you go to the AKC website and read the rule book.
Better yet, order a copy since the file is really quite large.
Be sure to also read at the end where major and minor faults are.
Judges hate to fail handlers for 'stupid' mistakes. (But I'm sure there are a few that don't mind at all)

Debbie

·
Registered
278 Posts
Welcome to the addiction. I am still very new to this also but I do know that in AKC you will have 1 shot flyer normally in the land series. dog must deliver to hand and if he/she drops it DO NOT pick it up, have the dog fetch it back up and take from the dog. I have seen the handler failed for picking up the duck. Make sure the dog is use to picking up both dead and crippled ducks. Good luck and HAVE FUN.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Welcome to the addiction. I am still very new to this also but I do know that in AKC you will have 1 shot flyer normally in the land series. dog must deliver to hand and if he/she drops it DO NOT pick it up, have the dog fetch it back up and take from the dog. I have seen the handler failed for picking up the duck. Make sure the dog is use to picking up both dead and crippled ducks. Good luck and HAVE FUN.
Is it common to see a shot flyer in a JH test?

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
As said, you can get a JH title in a couple of weekends if all goes well. So you have about $250 in entry fees, $400 for hotels, $300 for gas, $100 for food. So for about a grand you can title a dog JH.

The problem is that you'll then be addicted. This addition will cost you tens of thousands of dollars if you stick with the one dog and run only AKC hunt tests.

If you branch out into field trails, other venue HTs and add a couple of top tier puppy prospects it will begin to get expensive.;)

·
Banned
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Doesn't have to be a leather collar, just any flat buckle type collar.

Not just some line manners either, many judges will crack down on a dog dragging its owner to the line, or coming to the line on 2 legs and very especially, being noisy.

Marks are singles up to 100 yards. 2 on land, 2 on water normally. Your dog should handle a cripple. Be comfortable with holding blinds, boats, crowds, noise, other dogs, decoys, calls, whistles, guns, etc. You're in WI, you should have plenty of tests within easy drive, don't rush it. Join a club if you haven't already, and train with a group, before you ever enter your first test. It is hugely addicting, but make it fun vs frustrating for yourself & your dog.
I thought these tests were "realistic" hunting scenarios. I don't know about you, but my max effective shooting range is 35 yards. So 100 yard marks are not realistic in my hunting scenarios. Who on here shoots ducks or geese at 100 yards. If you are claiming you're shooting ducks and geese that far, I say pass the pipe brother because you are smoking some good stuff. If we have a sailer, we are taking the boat over there with the dog and then sending him in from where we last saw it. He can use his nose from there. I think I read something somewhere that another bird would be shot from a different location and the dog is sent back to get that bird. That sounds like you are sending your dog after someone else's bird. Who shoots the birds and where is the shooter located? If I am hunting, my dog is going to be by me in the blind with the group I am hunting with, not retrieving everybody else's birds. Am I missing something here?

·
Registered
4,680 Posts
I thought these tests were "realistic" hunting scenarios. I don't know about you, but my max effective shooting range is 35 yards. So 100 yard marks are not realistic in my hunting scenarios. Who on here shoots ducks or geese at 100 yards. If you are claiming you're shooting ducks and geese that far, I say pass the pipe brother because you are smoking some good stuff. If we have a sailer, we are taking the boat over there with the dog and then sending him in from where we last saw it. He can use his nose from there. I think I read something somewhere that another bird would be shot from a different location and the dog is sent back to get that bird. That sounds like you are sending your dog after someone else's bird. Who shoots the birds and where is the shooter located? If I am hunting, my dog is going to be by me in the blind with the group I am hunting with, not retrieving everybody else's birds. Am I missing something here?
Per the rules, AKC HT marks are supposed to be up to 100 yards and you darned well will see them that far in JH if you run in WI. Not all of them of course but really, a dog that can't mark a bird and make a retrieve at 100 yards is rather silly to contemplate. These aren't real exact hunting scenarios as you'd see in a normal day's hunt, they can't be really, they are TESTING a hunting companion's skills & training. And yeah, pheasant hunting, we get birds that sail far beyond 100 yards.

You may want to try HRC.

·
Registered
4,680 Posts
Chapter 5
Test Requirements for Junior, Senior and
Master Hunting Tests
Section 1. Test distances on land and water in all test
levels shall be established by the Judges. Retrieves in all
test levels should not normally exceed 100 yards.
Section 2. When placing birds for blind retrieves, no
more than one bird shall be placed at each blind location
for the working dog to retrieve.
Section 3. In Senior and Master level tests, at least one
live flyer must be used unless the use of live ammunition is
prohibited by law or policy of the land managing organization
at the testing location. How live flyers are used in testing
situations is up to the discretion of the judges.
Section 4. Junior Hunting Tests. Dogs shall be tested
on four single marks, two on land and two on water.
Judges in keeping with simulation of realistic but
relatively simple hunting situations must remember the
use of numerous decoys, islands, points of land, rolling
terrain, cover, ditch lines, wind direction, etc. are important
factors to consider when designing test scenarios to
evaluate Junior dogs as capable hunting companions.
(1) Dogs may be sent to retrieve more than once,
but only in cases of confusion as described in Chapter 4,
Section 7.
(2) Junior Hunting dogs shall not be handled on more
than one mark, and if handling is required, it must be
accomplished crisply and cleanly.
(3) Dogs shall be steady but may be brought to the line
on leash with a flat buckle collar. Dogs may be restrained
gently with a slipcord looped through the flat buckle collar,
or held gently by the flat buckle collar until sent to retrieve.
English slip leads, prong, choke and pinch-type collars are
prohibited. Leashes, including short tabs, shall be removed
before dogs are run.
(4) A dog must retrieve to hand. Failure to do so
merits a grade of “0” in Trainability.
(5) A dog may be encouraged to hunt, but excessive
noise in encouraging the dog suggests a lack of hunting
desire and a low grade in Perseverance is required.

·
Banned
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Per the rules, AKC HT marks are supposed to be up to 100 yards and you darned well will see them that far in JH if you run in WI. Not all of them of course but really, a dog that can't mark a bird and make a retrieve at 100 yards is rather silly to contemplate. These aren't real exact hunting scenarios as you'd see in a normal day's hunt, they can't be really, they are TESTING a hunting companion's skills & training. And yeah, pheasant hunting, we get birds that sail far beyond 100 yards.

You may want to try HRC.
Not t be a smart arse, but how far ahead of you are the pheasants flushing? Sounds like the dog needs to hunt closer. What is the difference in the HRC you speak of?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.