RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Do you wear a white or black coat/shirt while training?

• NO I wear everyday clothes or camo

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • SOMETIMES depending on weather/training scenerio

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
K

·
0 Posts
I run primarily hunt tests and I train in white all day long no matter what. You can't correct a dog for something that it may not have been able to see... [because you have dark colors on]

-Kristie

·
Registered
813 Posts
I didn't use to train in white but I do now to give the dogs the best advantage.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I agree I like to give the dog full advantage.

I guess this would be mostly a HRC'rs question, but do change back to camo say 10-14 days prior to running a test?
correct me if I am wrong AKC doesn't require camo to be worn right?

K

·
0 Posts
BIG DOG said:
I agree I like to give the dog full advantage.

I guess this would be mostly a HRC'rs question, but do change back to camo say 10-14 days prior to running a test?
correct me if I am wrong AKC doesn't require camo to be worn right?
I train in white no matter what. The only time I'll train in something dark is if dark would allow the dog to see me better than white.

AKC requires camo or dark colors. Not camo only.

I see no advantage to training in a color that your dog potentially can't see. When we run, we just take that risk. But I don't see any reason to risk it in training. It's not fair to correct a dog when he may not be able to see your cast.

-Kristie

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I wear white while training. Also have white on people in the field. I have never seen the need to change to dark/camo for any period of time before a test. I had occasion to handle Gopher on a mark this weekend at a HT :oops: and she did just fine. With the handling part, anyway.

AKC requires camo or dark colors consistent with hunting attire. Unless I am very much mistaken, HRC has similar language.

Lisa

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes HRC requires Camo

I guess I am getting (mainly myself) into HT "mode" by wearing the camo, (i do however keep my blk gloves on for contrast w/my white arms :)

·
Registered
813 Posts
The clothes you wear should be camo, nothing about the length of your sleeves.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I train in white and on long HT/mini FT marks (up to 250 yards) until a week before the test when I don camo and reel her back in to realistic HT distances (I play HRC)

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I see the advantages of training in a white coat on a daliy basis to help the dog gain advantages while in training, but to me the fact that you HAVE to wear camo at a hunt test to me this becomes somewhat counter productive to take that advantage away on "game" day. I have'nt ever used a white coat in training and have to say that I have firstly never thought of it as I'm a hunt tester, and secondly I have'nt had any problems training without it. Not that you should'nt, but different strikes for different folks.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
misty lake said:
I have'nt ever used a white coat in training and have to say that I have firstly never thought of it as I'm a hunt tester, and secondly I have'nt had any problems training without it. Not that you should'nt, but different strikes for different folks.
I can't speak for the other HTers, but the reason I like to train with a white coat is that it give me greater confidence the dog saw the handle. There is less of a chance I am going to give a correction for something that was not his/her fault, which in turn can lead to confusion, or the dog associating the correction with something other than what was intended.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I can understand the idea of trying to achieve a 100% visable cast in training situations, but I am a advocate of making training day as much like test day as possible and to me the coat is an advantage thats gone when it counts. I am always looking for ways to promote success and I like to take in consideration the backrounds in which I'm giving casts and would rather try to make them as "clear" as possible to give the dog the advantage rather than the coat. I guess whatever works is the thing to do, and the fact remains that there is more than one way to skin a cat!!

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Interesting that no one has brought up what the dog has been "conditioned" to. If I heard this word once I heard it a million times.

I train in white as we are allowed to wear white coats in Australia.

I observed lovely handler movement in the US, especially at field trials (obviously longer marks/blinds) The handler's torso moved the dogs, the arms next( so many many very intersesting arm movements too). Am I wrong again???

Gloves too, confused me a little white, black, black and white. I think pink would suit me. LOL.

·
Banned
5,856 Posts
misty lake said:
I can understand the idea of trying to achieve a 100% visable cast in training situations, but I am a advocate of making training day as much like test day as possible and to me the coat is an advantage thats gone when it counts. I am always looking for ways to promote success and I like to take in consideration the backrounds in which I'm giving casts and would rather try to make them as "clear" as possible to give the dog the advantage rather than the coat. I guess whatever works is the thing to do, and the fact remains that there is more than one way to skin a cat!!
Yes Misty, but everyday your teaching and training, not gearing exclusively for the test.

White, White, White, White,,,,,, everyday except 2 days before the hunt test.

Angie

1 - 20 of 28 Posts