RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Purchasing a pup with the intent of selling as a started dog?

• yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just sold a started dog that I enjoyed training and having around the house. So, I'm down to my 3 year old CBR and I want to start training another pup. But I don't need another dog to hunt, so here's the question....................

Just trying to see how everyone else is doing this. I think it's wrong to leave a dog in the kennel all week long to just hunt a day or two a month, and I don't think I could leave one at the house to hunt another.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I do that Peake. Sometimes I purchase puppies and sometimes older dogs that have "some" basics but I finish all the yardwork and then get them out on marks/birds and depending on what someone's looking for I'll sell the dog as a "started" dog or a "finished" gundog which of course has a much higher price tag than a started dog.

I really enjoy doing it although sometimes I enjoy a particular dog TOO much and find it can be hard to part with the animal. I do give these dogs housetime because the people I sell to are hunters who also want the dog to live in the house and be part of the family.....it has worked out very well so far.

I have a couple here right now that are in training......running the piles in the snow.....what a hoot that is!!!!

Reo - who is ready for spring now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, it looks as training a dog to sell ain't exactly popular but nobody has given a reason. So why?

What has a dog done that was so bad that you bought him or her for your personal dog and then end up selling them as a started or finished dog?

PeakeDog~who's interest has been stirred now.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Personally, I have no desire to start dogs for others. I have no time to house break a dog. No time to train a pup and when I do, it won?t be to train it for others, it will be a second dog that I am keeping. I don?t think the money, for me, is worth the effort.

Joe Miano

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
Peake, I have sold a couple of started dogs. But, I didn't buy them with the intention of selling them. I bvought them to be all age contenders. They came up short.

If the one I'm working now turns out to be a washout, someone will wind up with a pretty nice dog.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
PeakeDogs said:
Well, it looks as training a dog to sell ain't exactly popular but nobody has given a reason. So why?

What has a dog done that was so bad that you bought him or her for your personal dog and then end up selling them as a started or finished dog?

PeakeDog~who's interest has been stirred now.
It is not usually the case that the dog has done something "so bad" as much as the dog just didn't have "it" (or I couldn't get it out of the dog).
My goal when I buy a puppy is to have a competitive dog. Not all dogs can be competitive dogs. The ones that don't make that expectation, rather then beat my head against a wall, I sell or give away depending on their abilities. That usually makes me and dog happier.
The purchase of a dog for the purpose of resale IMHO (not AKC's at this time) would put me more in the pro category and that is not something I want to do.

Tim

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
When I get a puppy, I make a deal with that puppy that in exchange for giving me unconditional love and desire to please, I will give it an indoor home for the rest of its life. I could never sell a dog that I had trained. For me, training is all about building a relationship with my dogs.

Of course that means that I don't "wash out" dogs.

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
Howard N said:
Peake, I have sold a couple of started dogs. But, I didn't buy them with the intention of selling them. I bvought them to be all age contenders. They came up short.
Yo, Howard

the next time you have one like Pricey come up short, please call Ed and Judy collect before someone else buys her :wink:

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
My daughter and I have a couple of females now that we intend to breed from time to time. Our intention is to keep two pups from each litter. She will train one and I will train the other. We hope to keep the "best" one and sell the other as a started dog at one year of age. We might sell both, but I doubt that we will keep both.

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
the next time you have one like Pricey come up short, please call Ed and Judy collect before someone else buys her
If I come up with another Pricey I think I'll keep her. :D Might have to do a bit of lookin' to find one as good as her. :(

Pricey came at the wrong time in my life for me to get out of her what she was capable of giving. She'd have been buried in obscurity up here. I had a nice dog who I knew could play, that let me sell Pricey and see what she could accomplish. I'll always be glad I had her though. She showed me what a good dog was.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I guess that stands to reason, cause a pro I'm not. I have one hunting companion and I don't think she gets enough time in the field now. That's why I don't want two dogs for myself. I average about 40 days a season duck hunting and she will pick up in the neighborhood of 250 a season now.

The only reason I have just sold a started dog was that it was given back to the breeder and he called me to see if I would be interested in a project. Which I think came out better for the dog, since the other people never hunted or work with the dog. He said he knew he shouldn't have sold them a pup but they promised to send the dog to a pro to be trained. Now that dog is with a family and being hunted a few times a week.

As too the money it's really a mute point because by the time I figure the vet bills, food and my time I loose money anyway. But I enjoy the training and knowing that someone will be getting a hunting partner that can perform in the field.

Thanks for the replies, I figured it would be a interesting conversation.

·
Registered
173 Posts
We took a puppy as a stud fee with that intention. At nine months, someone wanted to buy him at 4 times the amount of the stud fee. We had already fallen in love with him, however, and couldn't sell him. He ended up with 21 Derby points and now has two amateur placements and he just turned three, so it turned out pretty well anyway.

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
Howard N said:
She showed me what a good dog was.
Howard, I'm not certain that "good" properly describes Pricey. She is a real quality dog, not just good, but really good (IMHO)........it must have been difficult to part with her

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
it must have been difficult to part with her
Not really. She wasn't my dog any longer. She used to be the dog that launched herself into my lap from across the living room. After over a year at Gonia's she was Gonia's dog and not mine. I'm 5'8" tall and I want the dog at my side. Gonia is 6'3 or 4 inches and he seems to like the dog out in front of him so the dog's hind legs when she's sitting are beside him. When I brought her to the line she wasn't mine any longer. Better, I thought, if Gonia kept her.

When I sold her I had a 13 month old QAA'd dog who was all mine.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts