RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

How many people would buy a pup that came with a limited registration?

• How many people would?

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Banned
3,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really think that the majority would not buy a pup on limited registration.

WRL

G

·
If there are simple stipulations to reverse the registration status, i.e. getting health clearances, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a pup on Limited. I wouldn't breed a dog that didn't have the clearances anyway, so no biggee.

We sell at least half of our pups on Limited and there has been no problem to date.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I would.

..as long as the Breeder would change the status to Regular after I fulfilled the Guarantee requirments.

If it was a non-reversable limited registration, I would NOT purchase a pup.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I would and I have. But I have no intention of ever taking on the responsiblity of breeding. So limited registration is not a problem for me. I don't understand why a breeder wouldn't want to use it on all their pups for some control on the future of the dogs they produce.

Carol

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Good question.

As I have purchased geldings in the past while 3 day eventing, sure.

We all would like the option to breed on with a successful stud or bitch, but breeding should not to undertaken to pay a couple of bills.

G

·
Selling pets. Why not limit them? Come on. It is not about business. It is about ownership. Don't breed what you are not willing to keep youself.

·
Banned
3,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
dogman said:
Selling pets. Why not limit them? Come on. It is not about business. It is about ownership. Don't breed what you are not willing to keep youself.
I'm not quite sure what you are getting at.....who here is saying that they are selling what they would not keep? I think you'll find lots (even most) on this site who breed and for the most part will keep a pup out of any given litter.

How does that affect the "who here would buy a pup on limited registration" factor?

WRL

G

·
I guess another question to ask is why wouldn't one buy on Limited if the requirements to reverse to Full are not unreasonable? Ego? Noone start shoutin' at me now. I'm just asking. :)

·
Banned
3,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Melanie Foster said:
I guess another question to ask is why wouldn't one buy on Limited if the requirements to reverse to Full are not unreasonable? Ego? Noone start shoutin' at me now. I'm just asking. :)
Honestly, I think it is an "Its my dog and I'll do damn well as I please..." even though few of us would not get clearances etc. Its a control thing.

WRL

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
I would do it provided I trusted the breeder,to reverse it to full once I fulfilled the requirements. I sell most of mine on Limited,so if I wouldn't be willing to buy a pup on limited, then that would make me a hypocrit now wouldnt it!

·
Registered
635 Posts
Lee,

I guess it may depend upon who your normal clientell is.

Every puppy that has left here in the last three years has gone on limited registration with a clearly defined set of requirements in the purchase agreement that have to be completed to lift the limitation.

Truth be known it didn't have any effect with my normal client base. (But then I do breed those exotic swampcollies).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Limited reg. seems to be the norm in the show world unless you get a "show quality pup." Actually, I guess the norm is a spay/neuter contract. How does this differ from LR?

For those of you who do utilize LR, what are your requirements for lifting it?

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
I would. I want a performance dog above all else. I had a deposit on a female from the litter I just bought my pup from. There were only 2 females in the litter & 6 males. The breeder really liked one male in particular & he very much resembled his sire as well.

Admittedly-had I bought a female-the plan was to have a litter at some point & keep a pup. No shame in that & plenty of folks do it, but I asked myself which I wanted more: a dog who could compete all year or a bitch with the potential for having litters.

There are plenty of knowledgable breeders out there who are honest about revealing health & longevity in their lines-including cancer, temperment issues & issues that there aren't a registry for. It would be worth it to me to buy on a limited registration from someone who binds me by the contract to ascertain I have a sound, healthy dog who can contribute something to the breed.

M

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I would and have purchased on limited, but it was lifted after all clearence were complete. Actually it was lifted before that once the breeder realize what a nice person I was :wink:
No really the breeder found out that I wasn't just going to run out and breed my dog without the correct checks and balances.
I think it depends on you, the breeer, and what you want in the dog. I have many friends that are show dog breeders, no if ands or buts pups are sold on limited with a spay/neuter aggreement. If they do sell a pup on full it is usually to one of their friends that is also a reputable breeder and they trust them to do the right thing.

Margo

·
Registered
2,112 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
No, I would not buy a pup on a limited registration.

Did you ever have a contractual dispute by mail/email/phone calls ? It's not fun. Ever try to enforce a contract between one person in one state and another person in another state ? It's not alot of fun.

I don't mind jumping through hoops for the breeder to prove what kind of a person/dog trainer I am, and provide all the references he or she wants, but at that point, if he or she still doesn't trust me to make the right decisions regarding the pup, I'll go elsewhere.

Regards,

Steve

G

·
I almost answered no, but after some thought I might buy an exceptionally breed pup with a limited registration if the seller agreed in writing what the requirements were for releasing full registration, (health checks, working titles, etc.). I would also expect to pay MUCH less for the pup with a bonus paid after the pup checked out. I?ll bet that no seller would go for it, so it is a mute point.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Great post Steve.

Also what if you meet the contractual requirements and the breeder just says no! While there may be legal remedies they may not be worth the effort.

The invention of the internet and the ease of a purchase from any breeder nationwide and considering the fact that a similar breeding may be available for a similar price without the restriction, why would anyone pay someone for a legal obstacle that puts the burden on themselves?

Joe Miano

·
Registered
479 Posts
I greatly respect a breeder who sells with limited registration only, provided that the breeder agrees by contract to lift the limited once certain conditions are met. All four clearances should be a minimum. Some breeders also require some kind of a simple title (CD, WC, JH or an agility or tracking title).

If more breeders had some of these requirements it would preclude dogs ending up in puppy mills, or being bred by backyard breeders who don't do their homework.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts