• B. Twice a day

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The eukanuba thread made me curious. I feed once a day. I do this because:
- the a.m. is for me the only time that I can consistently feed at the same time.
- I usually train late afternoon or evening and the dogs aren't burdened with a large meal just before activity
- some research has shown that dogs have the most energy, stamina ~ 16-18 hours after a meal, which dovetails into running a test/trial or a day of hunting (by feeding the meal in the pm before the event, and through it's completion)
I am concerned about the risk of bloat, but have had no problems and think (for me) these benefits outweigh the risk.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
I feed once a day... when it's just the macho dawg at home, i've always free-fed. He's been 72lbs for 3 years. BUT, after sending to him Dallas for a couple months while the Chopper puppy and i had one-on-one time, he came back FAT. Apparently, he'd been spending his days on the couch watching Dr Phil and eating bon-bons. So i'm regulating his food and the weight is coming off. But he will only eat if i put water on his food. Spoiled brat. FYI... i feed Pro-Plan original.

Shayne

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Noah,

I check the bowl twice a day, and fill it if it is empty. For the most part, he can eat as much as he wants, but he is not fat. This poll needs a free feed category also IMHO.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
DL,

You are right..my oversight.

·
Banned
5,856 Posts
I'm No vet and I'm not gonna argue with one.

If that works for you it works for me, but I'm still feeding twice a day.

Face it Rick, you and Shayne are too darn lazy to scoop feed twice a day.... I got your number........ :wink:

Angie

·
Registered
111 Posts
I usually try to feed twice a day 1/3 and 2/3. I have bought older dogs that were only feed once a day and that is what I stay with on that one dog.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I feed twice a day and I also add water. I was told labs do not have the moisture in their stomach needed to digest dry food. Myth or not I have always added water. If that is wrong please let one of the vets tell me.
I do not feed the morning of a hunt, no matter how early you feed a dog the excitement and anticipation of the morning hunt they let it all out 10 minutes into the "wild" pheasant field.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I feed twice a day and I also add water. I was told labs do not have the moisture in their stomach needed to digest dry food. Myth or not I have always added water. If that is wrong please let one of the vets tell me.
I do not feed the morning of a hunt, no matter how early you feed a dog the excitement and anticipation of the morning hunt they let it all out 10 minutes into the "wild" pheasant field.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Angie B said:
Face it Rick, you and Shayne are too darn lazy to scoop feed twice a day.... I got your number........ :wink:

Angie
There is definitely some truth to that. I'm lazy. Besides, he knows where the food bin is, he can get his own food if he's that darn hungry.

Shayne

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
I used to only feed once a day too (of course, I used to feed grocery store feed too :wink: ) Never had any problems.

Now I feed twice a day, but mainly because I keep the dog food in the feed room in the stable and they eat when I feed the horses which is twice daily. Also because one is a picky eater and I can get more food in her with two feedings.

I've never needed to worry about feeding too soon before hunting or an event. I always try offering a smaller meal but they know when something is happening and rarely will eat.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Twice daily since the mid-late 80's when I had two dogs bloat two years apart, no problems since then.

1/3 -- 2/3 or 1/4 -- 3/4 depending on work (dog) schedule.

Works for me and my dogs... ;)

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
I have always fed twice a day. The big dogs eat 1 cup AM and 2 cups PM. The pups eat a bit more, but still twice per day. It works for us. :D

Andy

·
Registered
890 Posts
Twice per day and always been 50/50.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Rick-
I feed twice a day. They each get a cup of Eagle Senior morning & evening &..

..a few cookies throught the day & sometimes a pigs ear. Kate was at the vet yesterday & is a real porker. I'm stepping up the exercise, but are a few biscuits a day that much of an increase in calories?!?

Thanks-
M

·
Registered
37 Posts
Feeding

Usually once a day. Depending on training schedule and time of year. In the summer or hot periods, once for sure. During the winter when it is colder twice. They burn up more calories staying warm so it is warranted. Summer warm weather, don't work as hard to stay warm so I back off.

Now with all that said if I have a youngster that is bouncing of the walls and tough to keep weight on I pump it up accordingly.

Whats easier to move a lein muscular body or a fat dog with a rear end like ---- ?

Tim

·
Registered
28 Posts
For us it kind of depends on the dog. I have two here that I feed twice a day for different reasons. One, it is the only way that I can keep weight on him, and the other, he is a big chested dog and I hate to give him all that food at once. All my others I feed once a day. They all get milk bones each morning, however that they live for. Must note that all my dogs are inside unless they are on the road. From what I have read from Cornell, UW, and UM, I can't imagine anyone self-feeding today.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts