RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is your recommended max number of times you typically like to successfully breed a bitch and whelp pups?

2 times? 3 times? more?

Also, what is your recommended max age to breed a bitch ?

·
Registered
136 Posts
this is an emotionally charged question,

from a purely medical sense, I am not sure there is a limit, although if you continually breed her two times a year for several years there is a potential to run into problems, also as long a a bitch is healthy and cycling she theoretically could produce litters until she is too old to ovulate. There will be a ton of people disagree, but I am talking from a purely medical view point without the emotional attachment here on this one

Most people try to limit litter numbers from 2-5 over a lifetime, if you only get one litter a year, and start at 2(after ofa xrays on hips) than 7 might be the max for a lot of people.

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
I've bred my avatar bitch 3 times, for a total of 18 puppies. She's currently 8 and I'm thinking of breeding her again if she goes into heat at a time it's convenient to breed.

This would be her last litter. I'm not sure if I will or not. It'll depend if she still looks good and healthy when she goes into heat again. I had her into my repro vet for a shot the other day. He said she looks strong and healthy another litter would not endanger her or anything.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks for the comments. they help.

I should add that my female chocolate turned 5 human years old on Feb. 17 2012. She whelped 8 healthy pups about 1.5 years ago, her first litter. I just bred her again about 1 month ago. We did progest test to time breeding and they tied 4 times over 4 days. So I feel there is a good chance it took (stud has sired multiple litters already).

I am excited about the cross of my recent breeding. It is an all chocolcate breeding (male by FC AFC Cuda’s Blue Ryder MH X female by CFC HRCH Gunner, Flight Interceptor SH).

If all goes well, I am considering breeding her a third time. She would be 6 years old at that point. I want a female pup from this sire and dam, but not this year. If I am lucky to get a 3rd litter from her, I would keep a female pup from the 3rd litter

She is healthy, and strong.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
My number is 30 . pups. 8 times 4 is 32 , so that would do it for my girls .8 pups per litter , 4 litters in her lifetime .The other number is 6 . I did one litter with a almost 7 YO year old bitch . Noticeable difference in pups . I won't do it again . Pups were fine , normal size litter , etc. But it took a lot out of her .And pups seemed slow to mature , though they lived a full normal life in their new homes .
And I prefer a pup from a natural breeding from the dam's first litter for me personally . But I am a PITA , just ask around :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts