Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Over 100 acres

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if you wanted to set up quality training grounds how many acres would you need? Assuming that you wanted enough land to create ponds, nice fields etc.... How would you set it up?

Is 80 acres enough, 100 acres?? How many acres are most pro trainers grounds?

·
Registered
9,442 Posts
I'd like to know what others think, too. We are in the process of selling a couple houses and moving, would like some ideas. I'm looking mainly for water on the property - its easier for me to gain access to land to train on than it is water.

Lainee, Flash and Bullet

·
Registered
573 Posts
Mad River Kennels has 26 acres and there is a lot you can do there.

I don't think someone should ever try to get by without traveling and showing the dog some new stuff.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I agree with Gerard. You can do a lot with a little, if you have other places you can go to for variety.

If you plan to develop the property so that tests/trials can be held there, then it needs to be big enough, and with enough different water, that 3 stakes can be held at the same time without being on top of one another.

Lisa

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
For training, you could put a technical pond on a place and show concepts. This location wouldn't need to be all that big so of th choices, 80 would be plenty. BUT, I agree with G-man, you need to show the dog many other "looks" as well.

·
Registered
9,442 Posts
Oh I agree...they say at a minimum 5 different locations. But I figured I have the opportunity to ditch a couple houses in an urban environment and can go up to around 10 acres if I stay in the city limits and unlimited otherwise, but got to think about my job - I hate commuting. How small of a place can one get by with?

Lainee

·
Registered
119 Posts
It depends.

Which game are you going to play, hunt test or field trial?

Is there a housing development or open space adjoining the land? Any adjacent development will decrease the usability of the land.

Do you plan on any secondary uses, such as hunting? If so, you will want to leave areas of cover, which will decrease areas for training.

If you are going to be training for field trials, most land areas should be 20+ acres. This will give you enough room to run from different directions. I think the ideal training area should have three to four of these areas to allow for sufficient change in ?picture? for the dogs. The greater these areas differ in terrain, structure, plant growth, all the better.

As for water, it would be nice to have variation as well. Big water picture, stick ponds, technical water, and long entry would be ideal.

As long as you have access to local training grounds that provide some variation to what you can offer, you don?t need everything in one place. With that said, if you have the choice, do not limit your self either.

Also, take into consideration how much time you want to spend maintaining the area. The bigger the area, the more time, money, and equipment to you will need.

·
Banned
5,856 Posts
You can make do with a postage stamp as long as it is i*n*t*e*l*l*i*g*e*n*t*l*y designed.

You still have to travel to transfer the skills from the training ponds to other areas. It teaches the dog to use it's head.

Angie

You can never have enough water........ :p

Thank you spelling police......

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
What ever land you think you need, get more, just to be sure.

Then all of your RTF friends can come train with you. :D

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
Angie B said:
You can make do with a postage stamp as long as it is intelligantly designed.

SNIP

You can never have enough water........ :p
No you can't. I live in town and have a 50x150 foot lot with a road easement. After you put a house and garage on it I don't have room for a decent wagon wheel drill. Thank God for the park down the street that's usually free of people first thing in the morning for yardwork.

I know I've never had anywhere close to enough water.

I think 20-30 acres is all I want to take care of.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts